ADVERTISEMENT

2021 Big Ten Predictions

Quality depth means your stacked not just starting LBer’s that’s the point I’m making... Even with our Manning I don’t think Ioway has better WR’s than Nebraska. They did in 2020..

Iowa was much better than Nebraska at WR in 2019 and 2020.

Minny is not going 11-1 lol... maybe if they had Rashod Bateman, Tanner Morgan, Antoine Winfield Jr, Rodney Smith, Mohamed Ibrahim and Tyler Johnson.

9-3 at best L's at OSU, Iowa and Wisky. If Nebraska makes a jump we can beat them too.

I think even Adrian alluded to it in his latest vid. I always figured he would milk it for all it's worth.
it is laugh out loud funny that anyone would tout his projected 'accomplishments' as the only 5-time starter in B1G history

hopefully he hands it off a ton this year then sails off into the sunset

it is laugh out loud funny that anyone would tout his projected 'accomplishments' as the only 5-time starter in B1G history

hopefully he hands it off a ton this year then sails off into the sunset
I would actually be okay with that (handing it off a ton).. If he could gain some confidence, then all the better, but I just don't want to see the team psyche implode yet again.

Reactions: John_J_Rambo
Cidsports, Minnesota Tanner Morgan coming back and the majority of their offense and some portal players coming in on the defense side of the ball..

On paper their the 2nd best team in the division...

QB Tanner Morgan saw his performance drop off due to his WR room. Back to back years losing top WR for Gophers.

Many would not list Gophers #2 in West.

QB Tanner Morgan saw his performance drop off due to his WR room. Back to back years losing top WR for Gophers.

I can see the same with Petras this year, with Ioway top receivers graduating..

Minnesota had another receiver who fill in for Bateman and did extremely well.
Fleck feels this will be his best team since being in Minneapolis..

Reactions: SWIowahawks

Minnesota also added this dude, and I think he's going to become a matchup nightmare oppositte of Chris Autumn-Bell:

Reactions: scarletred
Quality depth means your stacked not just starting LBer’s that’s the point I’m making... Even with our Manning I don’t think Ioway has better WR’s than Nebraska. They did in 2020..
Glad you finally came around to what I said a year ago that Iowa had better skill players last year. 😉

I don’t think anyone can say for sure about 2021. Iowa has more experience coming back but some young unproven talent. Nebraska just has the young unproven talent.

I’m just stating that Iowa is solid at LB, contrary to your original post.

I do like the good conversation you and @Cornicator are partaking in. I love me some college football.

Glad you finally came around to what I said a year ago that Iowa had better skill players last year. 😉

I don’t think anyone can say for sure about 2021. Iowa has more experience coming back but some young unproven talent. Nebraska just has the young unproven talent.

I’m just stating that Iowa is solid at LB, contrary to your original post.

I do like the good conversation you and @Cornicator are partaking in. I love me some college football.

Keep in mind the 2020 WR recruiting class had one injury kept him out for the season Nixon, one left Fleming, one sat out do to mental disorder Manning #1 JC receiver 2 years ago, and two that played sparingly as a true freshman Betts and Alante Brown.. Brown couldn’t get the field because of Wan’Dale Robinson..

I expect you will see more of this class making a impact this year along with Toure 1st team FCS and ex Ioway Oliver Martin...

Minnesota also added this dude, and I think he's going to become a matchup nightmare oppositte of Chris Autumn-Bell:

Noticed he is listed only 6-3 by University of Minnesota. PREVIOUS COLLEGE: Spent 2019-20 at Texas A&M where he played in eight games • played in five games in 2020 and three games in 2019 before redshirting.

We shall see how he progresses up north, but A&M is on uptick, so why did he leave?

Sophomore under traditional rules?

Minnesota doesn't list grades on their roster fwiw.

I don't know how you can say our basement is 6-6 when our last 6+ win season was five years ago.

In my eyes I see a defense that has the potential to be a Top 25 to Top 35 defense. On the offensive side of things, I truly expect to see some progression and offense that looks much better across-the-board. If the Huskers play up to their potential, there isn’t any reason we can’t go 8-4 or better.

So again, that’s my prediction....7-5 to 8-4. 6-6 basement and 9-3 ceiling....

Last edited:
Keep in mind the 2020 WR recruiting class had one injury kept him out for the season Nixon, one left Fleming, one sat out do to mental disorder Manning #1 JC receiver 2 years ago, and two that played sparingly as a true freshman Betts and Alante Brown.. Brown couldn’t get the field because of Wan’Dale Robinson..

I expect you will see more of this class making a impact this year along with Toure 1st team FCS and ex Ioway Oliver Martin...

i can almost guarantee this years WRs will and should look much better then last year (then again it wouldn’t take much). Betts and Brown are both poised to break out. Then like you mentioned, there is a All-American WR named Toure, O Martin and few others (Manning, Nixon, Etc.) that very well could make some noise as well. Next seasons group of WRs should, again SHOULD, make some noise, unlike last years WRs.

Last edited:
i can almost guarantee this years WRs will and should look much better then last year (then again it wouldn’t take much). Betts and Brown are both poised to break out. Then like you mentioned, there is a All-American WR named Toure, O Martin and few others (Manning, Nixon, Etc.) that very well could make some noise as well. Next seasons group of WRs should, again SHOULD, make some noise, unlike last years WRs.

Why did Betts only get 14 targets and Brown 5 targets in 2020?

Why did Betts only get 14 targets and Brown 5 targets in 2020?

My best guess, they were both true freshman with no spring practices. They were behind the curve and still learning the plays (Betts struggled a bit there). You have to remember, Huskers aren’t super pass heavy like Purdue. Huskers ranked 2nd and 3rd in the BIG in rushing the last several years. Then you figure in the Huskers were trying to get the ball to Wan’dale every chance they could.

Both Brown and Betts are having great winter works and spring camps so far. Now that both players have the play book down (or at least better). Betts will no doubt break out (dudes looking very good). Brown on the other hand, I think most of us Husker fans are just hopeful he will and hopefully he will take Wan’dale’s role (with a little less rushing the ball as a RB 😉).

Last edited:
That's usually true along the D-line for Iowa and that unit often leads the charge for some dynamic defensive play. But 2021 is a bit of an outlier for returning production.

2015- Nate Meier, Drew Ott, and Jaleel Johnson returning - Hesse, and Bazata emerge
2016- Jaleel Johnson, Hesse, and Bazata returning- Nelson emerges
2017- Hesse, Nelson, and Bazata Return - Epenesa and Latimore emerge
2018- Epenesa, Nelson, Hesse, and Lattimore return - Chauncey Gholston emerges
2019 - Epenesa, Lattimore, and Gholston return - Nixon emerges
2020- Nixon, and Gholston return , Heflin is brought in as a transfer - Van Valkenburg emerges

2021 - VanValkenburg returns.

This isn't the same situation that Iowa has seen the last half decade plus. By now, dudes like Noah Shannon and John Waggoner were usually major focal points if the defense, even if they hadn't started games.

On paper and if they improved from last year, Nebraska should be improved. The big question is offense and the play of AM and the skill position players. Has always been an issue as well as OL.

As far as Iowa, I hope everyone thinks the Hawks are in for a down year. We usually surprise everyone with those predictions. The DL is the Big question. Maybe the reason Wags has not done much, because he was behinds some pretty good players. Now we will see how he performs this season. I hope he surprises and is as good as his rankings. Who knows.

Anyway that is why the games are played. Good luck this season, cannot wait for the season to start.

John Waggoner #92 Iowa DL, likely DE

2018 – – Redshirted . . . did not see any game action.
2019 Honors – – Academic All-Big Ten Saw action in 10 games, recording one solo tackle and two assists, including 1.5 tackles for loss and one sack, as redshirt freshman .... did not see action in 27-24 win at Nebraska.
2020 Honors – – Academic All-Big Ten for second year . . . 2020 – – Saw action in four games, recording three assisted tackles and one QB pressure .... did not see action in 26-20 win over Nebraska.

At end of the day, he spent 2020 injured most of the season. He did make it back for the final game Iowa was able to play .... saw action in 28-7 win over #25 Wisconsin as defense allowed 56 net rushing yards and 225 yards total offense . . . one assisted tackle and one QB pressure vs. the Badgers.

Well, reason we watch the games and see how games play out.

Question on John Waggoner would be durability, but in moments he has played, we have seen some potential with him.

'We' haven't, because 'We' don't watch sh*tbag iowa, save for 1 game every year, and only because we're forced to

His only other option is going to be to get a job, so….
At this point, I'm just hoping he can gain a little confidence and hand the ball off a lot, make a few passes. I really just do not want to see the mental breakdown that spreads to the rest of the offense like the last 2 years.

That's usually true along the D-line for Iowa and that unit often leads the charge for some dynamic defensive play. But 2021 is a bit of an outlier for returning production.

2015- Nate Meier, Drew Ott, and Jaleel Johnson returning - Hesse, and Bazata emerge
2016- Jaleel Johnson, Hesse, and Bazata returning- Nelson emerges
2017- Hesse, Nelson, and Bazata Return - Epenesa and Latimore emerge
2018- Epenesa, Nelson, Hesse, and Lattimore return - Chauncey Gholston emerges
2019 - Epenesa, Lattimore, and Gholston return - Nixon emerges
2020- Nixon, and Gholston return , Heflin is brought in as a transfer - Van Valkenburg emerges

2021 - VanValkenburg returns.

This isn't the same situation that Iowa has seen the last half decade plus. By now, dudes like Noah Shannon and John Waggoner were usually major focal points if the defense, even if they hadn't started games.

Agree

This is my main concern even above WR group. I think there is some talent there but afraid it is too young still to be affective and there hasn't been anyone that has shown flashes much even in limited playing time. I think Black, Bruce, Jones, Craig are going to be studs but might be too early for them to be thrown in the mix and be effective.

Agree

This is my main concern even above WR group. I think there is some talent there but afraid it is too young still to be affective and there hasn't been anyone that has shown flashes much even in limited playing time. I think Black, Bruce, Jones, Craig are going to be studs but might be too early for them to be thrown in the mix and be effective.
your main concern should probably what you and your family members do to each other in the hog pen

disgusting!

My best guess, they were both true freshman with no spring practices. They were behind the curve and still learning the plays (Betts struggled a bit there). You have to remember, Huskers aren’t super pass heavy like Purdue. Huskers ranked 2nd and 3rd in the BIG in rushing the last several years. Then you figure in the Huskers were trying to get the ball to Wan’dale every chance they could.

Both Brown and Betts are having great winter works and spring camps so far. Now that both players have the play book down (or at least better). Betts will no doubt break out (dudes looking very good). Brown on the other hand, I think most of us Husker fans are just hopeful he will and hopefully he will take Wan’dale’s role (with a little less rushing the ball as a RB 😉).

I agree Huskers tried to force feed Wandale. I like the idea of Toure in the slot matched up with a LB or Safety. We should see better production from the WR's this year. My hope is we see a jump in the RB's as well. I will say the WR's will make a bigger jump than the RB's this year from a production perspective.

I agree Huskers tried to force feed Wandale. I like the idea of Toure in the slot matched up with a LB or Safety. We should see better production from the WR's this year. My hope is we see a jump in the RB's as well. I will say the WR's will make a bigger jump than the RB's this year from a production perspective.
Purdue did the same with Rondale. Is that because neither team has WR depth or they were just force feeding their guy? I think it's safe to say both teams have "rankings" talent at the position, but I know it doesn't always translate.

Reactions: 9and4
Agree

Iowa returns a 6th year senior, second team all-Big Ten, a junior DT with one start and a junior DE expected to be on the other side or the football. Situational DE is also a junior.

Last year, Iowa was also replacing 3 defensive linemen. Last year, in May, they brought in a grad transfer, who is one of the missing three starters for 2021.

So, what will May bring in 2021. Iowa has some experience and a youth.

Yahya Black is young. Iowa has played youth a little more lately.

They ranked 4 or 5th youngest P5 teams in 2020. They have spring ball this go around.

Many juniors are experiencing first spring as a player.

Reactions: hexumhawk
ADVERTISEMENT