Nebraska Legend
Gold Member
Feb 27, 2009
Meadville
Big Ten West

1. Minnesota - 11-1 - loss to Ohio State
2. Wisconsin - 10-2 - loss to Notre Dame and Minnesota
3. Nebraska - 8-4 - loss to OU, Ohio State, Minnesota, and Wisconsin
4. Northwestern - 7-5 - will lose to Iowa, Nebraska, Wisconsin, Minnesota, and Michigan - but rest of schedule is comically terrible.
5. Iowa - 6-6 - biggest rebuilding season in years. - will lose to Indiana, Iowa State, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Nebraska, and Penn State
6. Purdue - 3-9 - will lose to everyone but Ilinois
7. Illinois - 3-9 - will lose to everyone but Maryland

Big Ten East

1. Ohio State - 11-1 - I think Oregon gets them in week two.
2. Penn State - 10-2 - losses to Wisconsin and Ohio State
3. Indiana - 9-3 - losses to Ohio State, Penn State, and Minnesota
4. Rutgers - 7-5 - losses to Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State, Indiana, and Wisconsin
5. Michigan - 6-6 - losses to Washington, Wisconsin, Nebraska, Indiana, Penn State, and Ohio State
6. Maryland - 3-9 - losses to everyone except Sparty
7. Michigan State - 2-10 - 0-9 in conference play - but they might beat Michigan because that's what they do.. ha.

Jeff Brohm and Jim Harbaugh get fired.

PJ Fleck wants the Michigan job, but I'm not sure he fits the "Michigan Man mystique." I could see him ending up at USC if it opens.

Big Ten West

1. Minnesota - 11-1 - loss to Ohio State
2. Wisconsin - 10-2 - loss to Notre Dame and Minnesota
3. Nebraska - 8-4 - loss to OU, Ohio State, Minnesota, and Wisconsin
4. Northwestern - 7-5 - will lose to Iowa, Nebraska, Wisconsin, Minnesota, and Michigan - but rest of schedule is comically terrible.
5. Iowa - 6-6 - biggest rebuilding season in years. - will lose to Indiana, Iowa State, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Nebraska, and Penn State
6. Purdue - 3-9 - will lose to everyone but Ilinois
7. Illinois - 3-9 - will lose to everyone but Maryland

Big Ten East

1. Ohio State - 11-1 - I think Oregon gets them in week two.
2. Penn State - 10-2 - losses to Wisconsin and Ohio State
3. Indiana - 9-3 - losses to Ohio State, Penn State, and Minnesota
4. Rutgers - 7-5 - losses to Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State, Indiana, and Wisconsin
5. Michigan - 6-6 - losses to Washington, Wisconsin, Nebraska, Indiana, Penn State, and Ohio State
6. Maryland - 3-9 - losses to everyone except Sparty
7. Michigan State - 2-10 - 0-9 in conference play - but they might beat Michigan because that's what they do.. ha.

Jeff Brohm and Jim Harbaugh get fired.

PJ Fleck wants the Michigan job, but I'm not sure he fits the "Michigan Man mystique." I could see him ending up at USC if it opens.

Exactly what is a "Michigan Man?" How would you describe a "Michigan Man" using adjectives?

Reactions: John_J_Rambo
I'd probably put Indiana and maybe even Rutgers ahead of Penn State. I do not like the way their schedule is laid out this year. Not that it's excessively harder than usual but if they lose that opener they are going to go on a very bumpy ride and possibly a death spiral.

Last edited:
I'd argue you are a little low on Brohm. Minus one injury riddled season, he's essentially .500. But if he goes 3-9, he still isn't getting fired. His seat isn't warm.

This was always the year the step forward was going to happen. Will be interesting to see what happens.

I'd argue you are a little low on Brohm. Minus one injury riddled season, he's essentially .500. But if he goes 3-9, he still isn't getting fired. His seat isn't warm.

This was always the year the step forward was going to happen. Will be interesting to see what happens.

Just to reiterate, he has got worse every year at Purdue. You can come up with anything to fit the narrative, but a lot like Nebraska, his record is what it says it is. He has gone backwards every year.

Just to reiterate, he has got worse every year at Purdue. You can come up with anything to fit the narrative, but a lot like Nebraska, his record is what it says it is. He has gone backwards every year.
Win percentage was the exact same from two years ago to last year. Return most of the team and upgrade the defensive staff. I'd guess .500 at worst.

More my point was, he isn't getting fired. This was always a 6 year rebuild.

• Haha
Reactions: NorthWillRiseAgain
8-4?! I’m not seeing it, but crazier things have happened...
200w.gif

Reactions: BrighteRed24
Win percentage was the exact same from two years ago to last year. Return most of the team and upgrade the defensive staff. I'd guess .500 at worst.

More my point was, he isn't getting fired. This was always a 6 year rebuild.

Anything is better than Disco Bob I agree, but you were here last year saying he wasn't going to be as bad as we were telling you he was. Purdue is a lot like NU, at some point they have to prove it, or move on from their coach. You can't continue to blame losing on injuries, staff, etc. Both schools are sweeping under the rug really shitty results for the last two years.

Reactions: Husker_AMG63
Anything is better than Disco Bob I agree, but you were here last year saying he wasn't going to be as bad as we were telling you he was. Purdue is a lot like NU, at some point they have to prove it, or move on from their coach. You can't continue to blame losing on injuries, staff, etc. Both schools are sweeping under the rug really shitty results for the last two years.
You are right. I really missed the call there. Should have listened. I also said Brohm shouldn't have fired Holt. Still stand by that. Pretty clear upgrade in staff now. The DL coach built the great pass rushing fronts for Purdue in the Brees Orton era. Built iu's front that was dominant last year. DB coach came from Florida.

But I agree. Brohm has 2 more years.

Nebraska at 8-4? As much as I’d love and take that record at this point I just don’t see it. Maybe 5-6 wins... just too much rat poison going on right now...

Reactions: RothMatt
Nebraska at 8-4? As much as I’d love and take that record at this point I just don’t see it. Maybe 5-6 wins... just too much rat poison going on right now...

1. Literally returning the most experienced and oldest defense in both the Power 5 and FBS.
2. The offensive line, receivers, and running backs are the 2nd highest ranked collection of offensive talent in the Big Ten. Only Ohio State has more. And that doesn't even count Toure, who might be the most talented newcomer in the conference. Michigan and Penn State don't even have this much "recruiting site talent" on offense.
3. QB on pace to break every Big Ten total offense record with more career starts than any other QB in the FBS.

The 8-4 prediction is actually kind of pathetic. I have Nebraska losing to Minnesota and Wisconsin, and neither team has any discernable matchup advantage over Nebraska right now.

1. Literally returning the most experienced and oldest defense in both the Power 5 and FBS.
2. The offensive line, receivers, and running backs are the 2nd highest ranked collection of offensive talent in the Big Ten. Only Ohio State has more. And that doesn't even count Toure, who might be the most talented newcomer in the conference. Michigan and Penn State don't even have this much "recruiting site talent" on offense.
3. QB on pace to break every Big Ten total offense record with more career starts than any other QB in the FBS.

The 8-4 prediction is actually kind of pathetic. I have Nebraska losing to Minnesota and Wisconsin, and neither team has any discernable matchup advantage over Nebraska right now.
I want to agree, but I’m taking a wait and see approach after having my heart broken the past several seasons.

Reactions: HuskerO
According to another poster here on the free board, every team that Nebraska played last year CLEARLY had better players man for man at almost all positions, so I can't see too many wins for 2021, probably about as many as 2020.

I don’t see Iowa losing more than 4 games. Early metrics have them favored in 10 games. They have replaced entire starting units a couple times without skipping a beat.

I don’t get the early love for Wisconsin. Didn’t they go double digit quarters in a row without scoring an offensive TD or something crazy?

I couldn’t believe how bad Tanner Morgan looked last year. Will he go back to looking like 2019?

Illinois could be decent and hunting for a bowl game.

NW is not going to be good....at all.

Reactions: 9and4
I don’t see Iowa losing more than 4 games. Early metrics have them favored in 10 games. They have replaced entire starting units a couple times without skipping a beat.

I don’t get the early love for Wisconsin. Didn’t they go double digit quarters in a row without scoring an offensive TD or something crazy?

I couldn’t believe how bad Tanner Morgan looked last year. Will he go back to looking like 2019?

Illinois could be decent and hunting for a bowl game.

NW is not going to be good....at all.

If the Hawks were just trying to replace dudes like Brandon Smith, Smith- Marsette, and even Alaric Jackson, I would agree with you. But unlike years past, Iowa hasn't replaced this much impact defensive front 7 talent in years. And they're not just plugging in some new dudes, they're replacing some elite talent with undersized dudes who wouldn't play for any other Big Ten program. Going into 2021, Iowa will have the smallest and least experienced defensive line in the Big Ten.

I also think Northwestern is going to suck, but their schedule is just terrible. Phil Steele has it ranked as one of the easiest in FBS. I think they go 7-5, and go 1-5 in the division.

I need to see Wisconsin suck in a non covid season before I believe they're going to really struggle.

And I think everyone should refrain from judging teams during the covid year. It jacked with development. It interrupted the insertion of schematic changes and philosophies. And the Big Ten also fvcked over some of its own programs like Iowa, Penn State, and Nebraska.

I am not drinking any kool aid but I have a gut feeling Nebraska breaks through this year and has a solid season. How solid? Hard to say. We have a lot of talent. It all hinges on Amart improving I think. Frost has to know this is a put up or shut up year. He also has to know that another poor season puts him on a very hot seat. I think he might just have enough fear for his job and his career to lose his arrogance and learn some lessons.

Unlike many Husker fans I lack confidence in our defense and that causes me to temper my hopes a bit. Sure we have a ton of guys back and some quality depth. But these same players were only average last year. Unless they suddenly improve I am officially in a wait and see mode.

I don’t see Minnesota only losing their opener and than going unbeaten the rest of the way especially winning the last 3 in a row..

I do think Minnesota has as good of a chance to win the division as much as Wisconsin and Ioway..

I personal don’t think Ioway will be better than last year because defensively their having to replace some good defensive players..

Mertz wasn’t as a good as advertised when he arrived in Madison.. He will have to improve quite a bit before I predict them losing only 2 games..

Nebraska fixes it’s special teams and 2AM improves on making better decisions and cuts down on turnovers I can see Nebraska finally have a good season under SF..

Last edited:
Reactions: Pennsyhusker
I don’t see Minnesota only losing their opener and than going unbeaten the rest of the way especially winning the last 3 in a row..

I do think Minnesota has as good of a chance to win the division as much as Wisconsin and Ioway..

I personal don’t think Ioway will be better than last year because defensively their having to replace some good defensive players..

Mertz wasn’t as a good as advertised when he arrived in Madison.. He will have to improve quite a bit before I predict them losing only 2 games..

Nebraska fixes it’s special teams and 2AM improves on making better decisions and cuts down on turnovers I can see Nebraska finally have a good season under SF..

I will listen to anyone who thinks Wisconsin has a lot to prove. But I have to see them struggle again offensively after a full spring and offseason uninterrupted by Covid.

Reactions: SWIowahawks
I am not drinking any kool aid but I have a gut feeling Nebraska breaks through this year and has a solid season. How solid? Hard to say. We have a lot of talent. It all hinges on Amart improving I think. Frost has to know this is a put up or shut up year. He also has to know that another poor season puts him on a very hot seat. I think he might just have enough fear for his job and his career to lose his arrogance and learn some lessons.

Unlike many Husker fans I lack confidence in our defense and that causes me to temper my hopes a bit. Sure we have a ton of guys back and some quality depth. But these same players were only average last year. Unless they suddenly improve I am officially in a wait and see mode.
There is an old saying in sports, "the good thing is they have almost everyone coming back, the bad thing is they have almost everyone coming back. "

I will listen to anyone who thinks Wisconsin has a lot to prove. But I have to see them struggle again offensively after a full spring and offseason uninterrupted by Covid.
Cornicator, We’ll find out early when they play Penn St, Notre Dame and Michigan their first 3 of 4 games, hopefully they’ll be able to play a few of those early games without being paused by Covid..

Cornicator, We’ll find out early when they play Penn St, Notre Dame and Michigan their first 3 of 4 games, hopefully they’ll be able to play a few of those early games without being paused by Covid..

Don't include Michigan in that group. The Wolverines are transitioning from the 4-3 to the 3-4, and their QB position is a mess. On top of that, the QB will be making his very first road start in Madison.

Penn State is shifting to a new offense for the second straight season. If they were playing Wisconsin in October, the transition wouldn't effect the game. But playing in week one, on the road, against a Wisconsin defense that will be one of the top in the country is going to be a massive chore.

To make a long story short:

1. I don't think anyone is sweating Michigan on their schedule.
2. Getting to play Penn State in week one is a major advantage in 2021.

Reactions: ivan brunetti

I think it has more to do with Frost and staff improving. We know what we got in AM. Same old same old, we get 7 - 8 wins. Coaches improve, we can get to 10.

Don't include Michigan in that group. The Wolverines are transitioning from the 4-3 to the 3-4, and their QB position is a mess. On top of that, the QB will be making his very first road start in Madison.

Penn State is shifting to a new offense for the second straight season. If they were playing Wisconsin in October, the transition wouldn't effect the game. But playing in week one, on the road, against a Wisconsin defense that will be one of the top in the country is going to be a massive chore.

To make a long story short:

1. I don't think anyone is sweating Michigan on their schedule.
2. Getting to play Penn State in week one is a major advantage in 2021.
Didn’t say the Badgers would lose any of those games my thought is we’ll find out how good Mertz and the offense is after these games..

As for Michigan is concerned I like getting to play them right after their Wisky game..

Reactions: huskerfan66
Didn’t say the Badgers would lose any of those games my thought is we’ll find out how good Mertz and the offense is after these games..

As for Michigan is concerned I like getting to play them right after their Wisky game..

I think this is where we have some disagreement. I don't think Mertz or the Wisconsin offense will need to be good at all for them to beat those teams or win 10 games.

ADVERTISEMENT