ADVERTISEMENT

2021–8 ‘ships left ?

v1nufan

Redshirt Freshman
Aug 15, 2018
Assuming 20 is the target for this year. Where does the focus fall on what positions are addressed?

2 TE’s (Fidone/Rollins)?
1 OL Mbow?
2 DB’s
1 S
1 DE/DL
1 QB
1 K. ( I kid, slow day at work )

GBR !

If we stick at 20?

2 TE
1 OL
1 DT
2 DE
1 LB
1 S

with 1 flexible spot for a BPA

But I think we take more than 20.

We have 13 upcoming Seniors and a countable roster size of 79. So after graduation we will be down to a countable roster size of 66 - giving us 19 spots without any attrition.

Our sophomore numbers right now are pathetic. We red-shirted all but 3 guys in Frosts first year (Robinson, Newsome and Nelson) and have only 7 red-shirt sophomores held over from previous classes. That class is full of holes.

We have no scholarship sophomore at QB, RB, TE, OT, OG, DT, ILB or S and only one WR in Robinson.

We are currently looking at a 2021 depth chart with 2 safeties on the roster (Farmer and Gates) 1 center (Jurgens) and 3 TE's who will all be seniors and all red shirted already. As well as only having 1 underclass DT (Hutmacher).

Those are KEY needs that must be addressed in this class.

I don't see any way we can take another QB in this class and it's unlikely they go for another RB or WR unless there's a guy they just can't pass on no matter what that turns up for that BPA spot.

With anything over 20 we really need a 2nd safety and ideally another DT.

I think we end up around 22 commits and a class rank around 19th when all is said and done on signing day.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheBeav815
Assuming 20 is the target for this year. Where does the focus fall on what positions are addressed?

2 TE’s (Fidone/Rollins)?
1 OL Mbow?
2 DB’s
1 S
1 DE/DL
1 QB

GBR !

I would think we will take at least 2, probably 3 DL and even though we have a bunch of LB commits, it seems like the want one more.

2 TE:
2 DB:
2-3 DL:
1 LB:

After this it might be a best available deal. I think they would like a duck-R and a QB, but if we have another DB or DL or WR we like better, they may take them instead. I think OL is the same deal. I don't think they will take Mbow, but would take a guy like VanDeMark.

For a variety of reasons, this probably will not be a highly rated class. Not saying it won't be a good class, but it will be surprising if the recruiting sites have it in the top 30 nationally.

For a variety of reasons, this probably will not be a highly rated class. Not saying it won't be a good class, but it will be surprising if the recruiting sites have it in the top 30 nationally.
33rd now (rivals) with just 12 commits and a higher avg star rating than 4 top 25 classes

curious what the 'variety of reasons' are

2 TE’s (Fidone/Rollins)?
1 OL Mbow?
2 DB’s
1 S
1 DE/DL
1 QB

GBR !

I would think we will take at least 2, probably 3 DL and even though we have a bunch of LB commits, it seems like the want one more.

2 TE:
2 DB:
2-3 DL:
1 LB:

After this it might be a best available deal. I think they would like a duck-R and a QB, but if we have another DB or DL or WR we like better, they may take them instead. I think OL is the same deal. I don't think they will take Mbow, but would take a guy like VanDeMark.
So by 2021 we'd have one Redshirt Sophomore (Luke), one Redshirt Freshman (Logan), and two True Freshmen (Heinrich) and an unknown recruit. Also it's likely that Adrian's still the starter.

Would the staff want four scholarship Sophomore/Freshman QBs? Have we had five scholarship QBs in recent history?

Just curious and interested in your opinions since you both listed QB.

Reactions: John_J_Rambo
I had 21 on my spreadsheet so I am thinking 9. (It will change as people come and go...)

I think DB's are the biggest needs left along with TE. We need at least 1-2 TE and 3-4 more DB's. Need to take 1 more ILB. Probably take 1 DL. Then maybe a RB/WR type.

Finally may see 1 more OL depending upon best available options and how many TE's and DB's were signed. Just depends who is available.

That's my guess.

33rd now (rivals) with just 12 commits and a higher avg star rating than 4 top 25 classes

curious what the 'variety of reasons' are
Small class, probably not a full high school season so less chance that players will be re-assessed, imbalance of roster needs, restricted travel which probably hurts us more than others. It could end up being a very good class but I doubt that it ends up being highly rated.

I’d like to see 3 DL for sure. Cupboard will be bare soon. And it takes time to grow those guys to be ready.

Reactions: headcard
So by 2021 we'd have one Redshirt Sophomore (Luke), one Redshirt Freshman (Logan), and two True Freshmen (Heinrich) and an unknown recruit. Also it's likely that Adrian's still the starter.

Would the staff want four scholarship Sophomore/Freshman QBs? Have we had five scholarship QBs in recent history?

Just curious and interested in your opinions since you both listed QB.
I listed the QB, as a possibility, for two reasons.

1) Frost has said he would like 5 scholarship QB's.
2) In an interview recently HH mentioned that Nebraska may take another QB in this class. This was right around the time the offer to Burkhalter's brother went out.

I don't think it is a given we take another QB, but it is possible. Could even be a situation where an electric athlete is given a shot at QB.

I suspect they will take another QB. Haarberg has the feel to me of a guy they could get and they liked well enough so they took his commit to get him off the market and lock up an in-state kid, but I doubt he was the #1 QB on their board.

It's going to be a crapshoot of a year, I doubt many states will has HSFB this year. Will make it tough to evaluate kids and you'll wind up with a lot of sleepers and a lot of busts.

Damn ‘Rona ! It’s got to be hard for these kids from these states that are now seeing the virus numbers skyrocket. I know I would be stressing about it. Best of luck to the kid.

5bd760728d9a1.image.png

Reactions: jflores
So with those two loses, is our 2019 recruiting class still in the top 50 if reranked today?
Shoot, if you go back and rerank anyoany the classes in the last 7 years are they in the top 50? Bo pelini was bad enough but it appears he was a better judge of talent, retainment and development than what we've had the last nearly a decade. I don't have the answers but something doesn't look right.

Shoot, if you go back and rerank anyoany the classes in the last 7 years are they in the top 50? Bo pelini was bad enough but it appears he was a better judge of talent, retainment and development than what we've had the last nearly a decade. I don't have the answers but something doesn't look right.
"There is no place like Nebraska."

7 of those guys are starters.

is it typical for a single recruiting class to produce nearly 1/3 of your starters after 2 years?
While on its face that would suggest a success story, I would argue it's a testament to how horrendous the depth and talent levels already were.

The greater concern is how many of them aren't even on the team any more, and that's not counting JUCO guys who used up their eligibility. I counted 11 guys who are no longer at NU and didn't graduate.

While on its face that would suggest a success story, I would argue it's a testament to how horrendous the depth and talent levels already were.

The greater concern is how many of them aren't even on the team any more, and that's not counting JUCO guys who used up their eligibility. I counted 11 guys who are no longer at NU and didn't graduate.
I completely agree about the previous talent.

without seeing some national context, I don't know if our attrition is good/bad/otherwise.

I completely agree about the previous talent.

without seeing some national context, I don't know if our attrition is good/bad/otherwise.
I'm hopeful the OWH or LJS will put something together on that. It's sort of a two-part question:

First, how many 4* players leave the team compared to other schools?

Second, how does NU's replacement of that talent compare to other schools?

Somebody posted...I think on reddit...what NU's % of "blue chip" players on the roster was by year. That would be your short version is if the blue chip % keeps rising, we don't have to worry. If it doesn't we have a problem. IIRC NU's blue chip % as of that post was like 21.5%, and I'd assume that was counting Francois as a blue chip on the roster.

The point of tracking that metric was that no team with a blue chip % below 50 had won a national title lately.

Reactions: John_J_Rambo

this is probably going to continue.. we have a much higher attrition rate than prior to Frosty.. heck some don't even make it here and are in the transfer portal.. I suspect the class might be 24-25.. and they might still end up with an available schollie or two this time next year.

If we stick at 20?

2 TE
1 OL
1 DT
2 DE
1 LB
1 S

with 1 flexible spot for a BPA

But I think we take more than 20.

We have 13 upcoming Seniors and a countable roster size of 79. So after graduation we will be down to a countable roster size of 66 - giving us 19 spots without any attrition.

Our sophomore numbers right now are pathetic. We red-shirted all but 3 guys in Frosts first year (Robinson, Newsome and Nelson) and have only 7 red-shirt sophomores held over from previous classes. That class is full of holes.

We have no scholarship sophomore at QB, RB, TE, OT, OG, DT, ILB or S and only one WR in Robinson.

We are currently looking at a 2021 depth chart with 2 safeties on the roster (Farmer and Gates) 1 center (Jurgens) and 3 TE's who will all be seniors and all red shirted already. As well as only having 1 underclass DT (Hutmacher).

Those are KEY needs that must be addressed in this class.

I don't see any way we can take another QB in this class and it's unlikely they go for another RB or WR unless there's a guy they just can't pass on no matter what that turns up for that BPA spot.

With anything over 20 we really need a 2nd safety and ideally another DT.

I think we end up around 22 commits and a class rank around 19th when all is said and done on signing day.
There's always room to take another qb in a class if that's what you want. If you identify qb as a need, if you don't have room you make room. Who cares what the sophomore numbers are. Just recruit some jucos and it's no longer a problem. I get tired of this doom and gloom people have with the roster distribution every year. I think Frost knows what he's doing and I trust him to handle it.

ADVERTISEMENT