ADVERTISEMENT

2020 Wide Receivers, do we have the pieces?

Do we talent to be successful at WR?

• Yes

Votes: 13 17.8%
  • No

Votes: 60 82.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

bigredhunter

Senior
Gold Member
Mar 4, 2009
Florida
We seem to recruit WRs very competitively but the results weren't there this year. JD and Wan'Dale were the only players consistantly targeted. I don't know if it's because of youth, development, or some other variable.

Do you all feel we have the players to do well?

The players:
Jaevon Mcquitty
Rivals 5.8, 4 star

Darien Chase
Rivals 5.7, 3 star

Chris Hickman
Rivals 5.7, 3 star

Kade Warner

Demariyon Houstons
Rivals 5.7, 3 star

Jamie Nance
Rivals 5.8, 4 star

Zavier Betts
Rivals 6.0, 4 star

Will Nixon
Rivals 5.7, 3 star

Last edited:
I think we are at a cross roads with WR’s and our offensive philosophy. IF we can get Betts and Manning (or a comparable piece) here, we can probably have a very good offense, using this system. If we cannot, I think we will need to pivot. We have been able to recruit good OL and good running QB’s. We may need to move to an option based, run heavy attack, as our identity.

We still won't have any downfield threats. We can pray that we land Manning and pray that Betts qualifies, but they aren't proven deep threats at a D1 level either. Combine that with JD being gone and we could be in a world of hurt at WR again.

We still won't have any downfield threats. We can pray that we land Manning and pray that Betts qualifies, but they aren't proven deep threats at a D1 level either. Combine that with JD being gone and we could be in a world of hurt at WR again.

Some have said Manning is a qualifying risks and that’s why things may have cooled down with him.

This staff seems to be allergic to any big bodied WR.

Reactions: SC_'sker
This is such a difficult question to answer.

Do we have talent to be successful at WR? Yes. More than enough

Do we have talent to be successful at WR with what Walters and Frost want from a WR? No

I believe we have better playmakers at WR then guys like Mike Williams who aren’t playing because they don’t know how to block and that’s just stupid.

we have a stubborn staff. They stick with their beliefs until the end. Pride is a deadly sin for a reason.

in every coach we’ve had post Tom Osborne, we’ve never had a Joe Gibbs type. The type that looks at what they have and they try to make it work. We’ve always had a staff that tries to shove their system down the players throats and to a degree that’s ok but at some point you do what it takes to win ball games

Do we have talent to be successful at WR with what Walters and Frost want from a WR? No

I believe we have better playmakers at WR then guys like Mike Williams who aren’t playing because they don’t know how to block and that’s just stupid.
Blocking is stupid? Something his missing and I am very disappointed in Walters, but insisting players can block to get on the field isn’t stupid to me.

we have a stubborn staff. They stick with their beliefs until the end. Pride is a deadly sin for a reason.

in every coach we’ve had post Tom Osborne, we’ve never had a Joe Gibbs type. The type that looks at what they have and they try to make it work. We’ve always had a staff that tries to shove their system down the players throats and to a degree that’s ok but at some point you do what it takes to win ball games

Perfect answer.

yes, we have players. They aren’t getting the ball and are on the sidelines

Blocking is stupid? Something his missing and I am very disappointed in Walters, but insisting players can block to get on the field isn’t stupid to me.
No you are misquoting me or not understanding my context. Blocking isn’t stupid but only playing WRs who can block is stupid. The NO BLOCK NO ROCK is stupid. There are obvious passing situations that I don’t care if my WR can block or not. That’s not why he’s on the field for that play. Playing a WR on obvious pass plays who can’t get separation is just stupid.

Reactions: headcard
No you are misquoting me or not understanding my context. Blocking isn’t stupid but only playing WRs who can block is stupid. The NO BLOCK NO ROCK is stupid. There are obvious passing situations that I don’t care if my WR can block or not. That’s not why he’s on the field for that play. Playing a WR on obvious pass plays who can’t get separation is just stupid.
OK. Probably some truth to that. Would have to sub more, we like to stick with the same personnel so the D can’t sub. But that obviously has its flaws too.

OK. Probably some truth to that. Would have to sub more, we like to stick with the same personnel so the D can’t sub. But that obviously has its flaws too.
WR is either the easiest or the hardest spot to get on the field if your a true Frosh, depending on the coaching staff. Most of these guys have never had to really block in HS. A lot of these guys were the best player on the field in HS so CB are playing way off the line on them on every play so they don’t really need to block. So if the staff is requiring blocking these guys have to learn a lot in college. But you don’t want them to lose their edge in the passing game either.

And if it’s 3rd and long they shouldn’t be going fast either, right? So no reason not to bring in a WR core whose going to get separation and gave sure hands

Outside of#1 and #10, almost nobody even received a chance come game time. Bad practices, dog house? Give them a chance in a game.

Reactions: bigredhunter
oh fasho.

Uber already started the anti-JD spin...let's see how many of the Cletii jump on that train...
What’s worse. That or hoping stuff like this happens, so you can keep piling on and throwing gas on the fire?

What’s worse. That or hoping stuff like this happens, so you can keep piling on and throwing gas on the fire?

Who the hell is hoping that will happen? Sure as hell ain't me. We need JD back, so I hope Frost does whatever he has to do to convince him to stay.

I just find it amusing that guys like uber get that crap started and dudes like you hop on.

Who the hell is hoping that will happen? Sure as hell ain't me. We need JD back, so I hope Frost does whatever he has to do to convince him to stay.

I just find it amusing that guys like uber get that crap started and dudes like you hop on.
I haven’t “hopped on” in the least. Even last year. I’ve known this was out there for a long time. But it sure seems like we now have a group of posters openly rooting for bad things to happen, to help their own agendas and prove themselves right. Because that is what is important.

I haven’t “hopped on” in the least. I’ve known this was out there for a long time. But it sure seems like we now have a group of posters openly rooting for bad things to happen, to help their own agendas and prove themselves right. Because that is what is important.

Do you even realize how silly that idea is? EVERYBODY wants to see this team do well, no matter who the QB is, no matter who the HC is. Just stop it.

I haven’t “hopped on” in the least. Even last year. I’ve known this was out there for a long time. But it sure seems like we now have a group of posters openly rooting for bad things to happen, to help their own agendas and prove themselves right. Because that is what is important.

To clarify, my post is focused on the importance of JD staying, not hoping he leaves. His departure to another school would be a gut punch, and the last thing this program or Frost needs right now is that. In 40+ years of following Husker football, I cannot think of anyone with a resume even close to his at NU that has left for anywhere else than the NFL.

No.

The fact that none of the freshman could get meaningful playing time this year is not a good sign.

Add in the fact that Betts and our top potential JUCO target are qualifying risks, Spielman potentially transferring.....not good.
We don't know yet about the freshman WRs yet. The concern seemed to be whether or not they were reliable in their routes and able to block in the run game. Hopefully another year in the weight room along with another spring of practice will allow a couple of those guys to step up.

Reactions: SeaOfRed75
plenty freshman and underclassmen on the field at this position around the country

if you can identify, recruit and coach talent you should be able to field a pretty good WR corps - particularly in year 3

Reactions: bigredhunter
Manning and Betts will be crutial! If we have them, this will be the best wrs we have had. We have been gravely mising a 6'3 big target to stretch the field.

More often than not, these rumors seem to have legs. If JD does leave, its going to be a big blow to our chances for on-field success next year and confidence in the vision Frost is trying to establish and get buy-in on. No way to sugarcoat or spin it.

If wandale takes that spot, it could end up not being disastrous.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT