ADVERTISEMENT

2020 secondary 2 deep...go...

HBK4life

Nebraska Legend
Jan 24, 2004
North of Lincoln South of Heaven
https://hailvarsity.com/s/8828/hot-reads-things-could-get-interesting-for-husker-dbs-this-spring
Here's where Nebraska really feels the loss of Jackson, who had twice as many pass breakups (12) as any other Husker and also tied for the team lead with three interceptions. That said, it feels like the Huskers might be a little better off than the numbers suggest. Bootle showed he was more than capable as a pass defender with 15 breakups in 2018. Taylor-Britt matched Jackson's interception total last season. Cornerback Braxton Clark has shown promise in limited snaps and true freshman corner Quinton Newsome was on the depth chart all year despite seeing most of his action on special teams.

That's the key juxtaposition here. Based on what we know about the actual players returning, it doesn't feel like Nebraska's in bad shape in the secondary. I felt the Huskers were better off there than at linebacker or on the defensive line, and they still might be.

But that's why a uniform look at returning production can be useful––it forces you to at least pause and consider how many plays (not players) there are to actually replace. That could make for an interesting spring despite Nebraska returning three or four starters (depending upon how you want to count Williams) in the back four. There might be more of a competition here than you'd at first think. In addition to Clark and Newsome, there's a wave a young defensive backs looking for a way to get in the mix.

And there are certainly tackles, pass breakups and interceptions to be had in 2020.

Two deep at cb is three guys plus whover steps up, Bootle Clark Taylor
Safety has a ton of potential.
There's so many options here, this is what we should look like in every room, like we do at cb and safety.
The fact theyre all stacked by age mostly, to me, it's anyones guess.

CB- Bootle, Quinton Newsome
CB - Taylor - Britt, Braxton Clark

S- Deontai Williams, Noa Pola Gates
S - Marquel Dismuke, Myles Farmer

Taylor - Britt will play Nickel as well.
Corn has the correct take at DB. Bootle and especially Cam can play safety in the event of an injury to Williams and/or Dismuke. NPG has been mentioned at corner. It's a versatile group with more than enough talent and the young guys are now coming online.

Honestly after last year I’m not a huge fan of Bootle... I think he has a good skill set but his tackling, or lack there of is a big liability. Until he learns to tackle I don’t really want to see him as a starter. And if he does learn to tackle better I thought he made an excellent safety

Reactions: jeans15
Honestly after last year I’m not a huge fan of Bootle... I think he has a good skill set but his tackling, or lack there of is a big liability. Until he learns to tackle I don’t really want to see him as a starter. And if he does learn to tackle better I thought he made an excellent safety
Whats nice is,Bootle was considered one of the fastest recruits coming in, now, he plays at safety too.
That says alot about our new guys. I still think Bootle gets caught looking and sometimes then has to rely on his speed.
Also, the one game he didn't wrap, he mentioned it in his PC, and said it was his fault, that he would correct it, and he did for the most part.
This is his last year, watch for consistency with an edge.

Pretty solid starting 4 in the backfield IMO. Williams, Taylor-Britt, Bootle and Dismuke. Hope Deontai can stay healthy this year. I think at times we really missed his physicality in our close losses.

With Lamar gone and a few players having to play multiple positions last season, I'm intrigued to see who the staff will use for corner blitz and safety blitz packages this fall.

Fisher has done a solid job creating a competitive 2-deep. I think we will see Henry Gray playing the full 4 redshirt games this fall.

Pretty solid starting 4 in the backfield IMO. Williams, Taylor-Britt, Bootle and Dismuke. Hope Deontai can stay healthy this year. I think at times we really missed his physicality in our close losses.

With Lamar gone and a few players having to play multiple positions last season, I'm intrigued to see who the staff will use for corner blitz and safety blitz packages this fall.

Fisher has done a solid job creating a competitive 2-deep. I think we will see Henry Gray playing the full 4 redshirt games this fall.
I’d honestly love to see all our freshmen use the 4 game redshirt rule... getting those in game snaps can only benefit these kids

Last edited:
Reactions: maplesyrup95
I personally think him and Dismuke tackle like 4th graders.....next man up for both in my opinion.

Reactions: Chuck003
If Bootle is still out there we are in trouble.
only if he hasn’t learned to wrap up and tackle... I got tired of watching him lunge at someone with is arms by his side... again I think he has a good skill set to be a safety and plays solid CB as well... it’s the tackling that irks me with him. Wrap up and drive through it’s a concept every player learns at a young age

only if he hasn’t learned to wrap up and tackle... I got tired of watching him lunge at someone with is arms by his side... again I think he has a good skill set to be a safety and plays solid CB as well... it’s the tackling that irks me with him. Wrap up and drive through it’s a concept every player learns at a young age
I thought his tackling actually improved from 2018. He's obviously not a natural at it, but I think he'll do just fine at corner. He's probably our best cover corner. However if you're not a sure tackler, I don't want you at safety.

I personally think him and Dismuke tackle like 4th graders.....next man up for both in my opinion.

not sure 4th graders can knock helmets off of power 5 players...but hey, what do I know. Both have skills and then we have plenty of depth behind them. If they aren’t playing well, then we will see one of the redshirted Freshmen or true freshmen jump them. We are fairly loaded in the secondary.

Reactions: Clemke32
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT