ADVERTISEMENT

2020 QB Logan Smothers N soon?

HBK4life

Nebraska Legend
Jan 24, 2004
North of Lincoln South of Heaven
https://www.omaha.com/huskers/blogs...cle_78fb6ff1-3bd1-5bab-9c06-e5cab33ed46a.html
But only one Power Five school has pulled the trigger on an actual offer. And that's a key reason why Smothers doesn't hesitate when asked where Nebraska stands among his suitors.

"No. 1," Smothers said. "Yes sir, No. 1. They just like everything about me."
His speed is the headliner. A consensus three-star prospect ranked as high as the No. 8 dual-threat QB in his class by Rivals, he clocked a 40-yard dash time of 4.48 seconds at Ohio State last month and qualified for the state track meet in the 400-meter dash as a freshman and 100 last spring (11.05 seconds). The 6-foot-2, 180-pound prospect ran for 719 yards and eight touchdowns on 110 carries (6.5 yards per carry) last fall while leading an read-option-heavy spread attack not unlike Scott Frost's.

"He's extremely explosive," said Cody Gross, Smothers' coach at Athens High School. "He has the ability to go the distance every time he touches the ball, which is every play."
Nebraska was at the top of my board," Smothers said. "Right now, it's going to take a lot for me not to go there."
Gross said Smothers is looking for a cultural and schematic fit in his evaluation of schools. It's clear the Huskers check both boxes.

"I know that he thinks very, very highly of Nebraska," Gross said. "And part of that would be through the interest that they've shown — I know that goes a long way. And he likes what UCF did, he likes what Coach Frost did. And he's always sort of liked Oregon. I think it's very intriguing because of what that offense has done through the years that he's going to follow that."
Smothers — who plans to make a commitment before his junior season and eventually be an early enrollee — said NU coaches told him they will take just one QB in the class.

A quick verbal pledge could make him Nebraska's first 2020 commit.

"I'm kind of still deciding everything and trying to take it all in," Smothers said. "But hopefully soon, because if I wait too long, my chance could be gone."

This staff has a tremendous amount of confidence in their ability to identify what they believe to be high level prospects very early in the process. Much earlier than the majority of other high end power 5 schools are willing to make that same assessment

This is another duckling that we are willing to project becomes a swan much sooner than other programs.

Last edited:
Only sophomore film, but he does look explosive. His passing scares me somewhat

If that kid is the 8th best dual 2020 quarterback the other seven must be pretty incredible!

I saw speed, athleticism, good vision, & great arm strength. The only thing that scares me about him is if he ends up at Ohio St!

Honestly kinda reminds me of T Mart. Got really good straight line speed, kinda funky throwing motion, decent arm strength. He looks to have a little more agility though.

Verduzco would need to do something with that throwing motion.

Last edited:
Honestly kinda reminds me of T Mart. Got really good straight line speed, kinda funky throwing motion, decent arm strength. He looks to have a more agility though.

Milton.

Same goes for McCaffrey. Great athletes, but not sure about their passing abilities/mechanics.

Thankfully, we have 2 very good freshmen QBs right now. If they stay healthy, this should give McCaffrey and Smothers plenty of time to work on their passing skills with Verduzco.

Reactions: NikkiSixx
In addition to being blessed with speed the article states:

He has grown up around football — his father, Shane Smothers, is Athens' offensive coordinator and his two older brothers both went through the recruiting process before signing with North Alabama. He is also a 4.0 student planning to enter the medical field when his football career ends. As a passer, he completed 65 percent last year for 2,041 yards with 14 touchdowns and eight interceptions.

That works for me.

Reactions: bomber89
This staff has a tremendous amount of confidence in their ability to identify what they believe to be high level prospects very early in the process. Much earlier than the majority of other high end power 5 schools are willing to make that same assessment

This is another duckling that we are willing to project becomes a swan much sooner than other programs.
Actually I think they have a high degree of confidence that they can develop QBs out of the kids they've offered. They're not really focused in a person as much as they're focused in on a type of person that they can develop. Means that which ever QB they've offered is willing to commit first, he gets the job. They're just not going wait for a particular kid before accepting someone who wants to commit.

Reactions: 50Front
Actually I think they have a high degree of confidence that they can develop QBs out of the kids they've offered. They're not really focused in a person as much as they're focused in on a type of person that they can develop. Means that which ever QB they've offered is willing to commit first, he gets the job. They're just not going wait for a particular kid before accepting someone who wants to commit.

Bingo. They recruit the type/package, not just the recruit name like many schools do. Smoothers fills exactly what Frost wants and Smoothers clearly doesn't want to lose his chance to play for Frost.

Reactions: dinglefritz
https://www.omaha.com/huskers/blogs...cle_78fb6ff1-3bd1-5bab-9c06-e5cab33ed46a.html
But only one Power Five school has pulled the trigger on an actual offer. And that's a key reason why Smothers doesn't hesitate when asked where Nebraska stands among his suitors.

His speed is the headliner. A consensus three-star prospect ranked as high as the No. 8 dual-threat QB in his class by Rivals, he clocked a 40-yard dash time of 4.48 seconds at Ohio State last month and qualified for the state track meet in the 400-meter dash as a freshman and 100 last spring (11.05 seconds). The 6-foot-2, 180-pound prospect ran for 719 yards and eight touchdowns on 110 carries (6.5 yards per carry) last fall while leading an read-option-heavy spread attack not unlike Scott Frost's.

"He's extremely explosive," said Cody Gross, Smothers' coach at Athens High School. "He has the ability to go the distance every time he touches the ball, which is every play."
Nebraska was at the top of my board," Smothers said. "Right now, it's going to take a lot for me not to go there."
Gross said Smothers is looking for a cultural and schematic fit in his evaluation of schools. It's clear the Huskers check both boxes.

"I know that he thinks very, very highly of Nebraska," Gross said. "And part of that would be through the interest that they've shown — I know that goes a long way. And he likes what UCF did, he likes what Coach Frost did. And he's always sort of liked Oregon. I think it's very intriguing because of what that offense has done through the years that he's going to follow that."
Smothers — who plans to make a commitment before his junior season and eventually be an early enrollee — said NU coaches told him they will take just one QB in the class.

"I'm kind of still deciding everything and trying to take it all in," Smothers said. "But hopefully soon, because if I wait too long, my chance could be gone."
If he has a brother, we have to recruit him, too, don't we?Winking

we have taken this approach at a number of other positions as well - being among the first power 5 schools to offer. That is fine - as I have said this staff appears to be very confident in their talent evaluations as they appear to being seeing talent/traits in a number of recruits well before other high end power 5 programs. Time will tell if this process to be "first to arrive at the party" is effective.

Reactions: dinglefritz

Not sure if serious? You do realize some schools don’t have to take “projects” or “hedge” on a player. It’s the difference between us and top 20 programs or at least the top 15 which we’re nowhere near.

R-E-L-A-X, man quit taking all the fun out of everything. Scott hasn't coached a game, this QB hasn't committed so pump the brakes. You don't know what you have until 2-3 years after a class is on campus. Very few recruits are sure fire future NFL'ers. So no clue what you mean by other schools don't take "projects"...as far as I'm concerned 99% of players in college football are projects.

You are correct, we are not going to have a team of (25) 4 and 5 star recruits every year. Then again that doesn't mean squat otherwise Texas, TN, Georgia, TX A&M, UCLA etc. would have would have some Natty's to show in the last 15 years. Once again look at Frosts track record of QB's, (although a fairly short window) his development history shows his eye for QB play. Does recruiting matter? Absolutely yes. But to harp on offering a kid that is 15 or 16 years old when is film looks good? C'mon Man...

Not sure if serious? You do realize some schools don’t have to take “projects” or “hedge” on a player. It’s the difference between us and top 20 programs or at least the top 15 which we’re nowhere near.

Yes i do realize this and my post was meant convey a bit of a concern.

Using a Texas holdem analogy I think we are pushing too many chips in the pot with a pocket K-10 or A-7 hand while other top programs wait for A-J, A-Q to push. Or they can afford to wait for the flop before committing a bunch of chips.

It may very well pay off. These coaches may have an extraordinary ability to identify talent earlier than other top end programs. But I maintain the best judge of talent in today’s college football is by the company you keep in recruiting. If a bunch of other top end programs also want a majority of your recruits then you are in good shape. If you are competing with Minnesota, purdue and Indiana for recruits then that is another story.

Last edited:
Reactions: dsmalls3

Your right. I read somewhere where the quarterback recruiting is different than every other position in the fact that every quarterback offer is "Commit-able". Meaning if you are offered a scholarship at quarterback they will take your commitment and not wait for someone else to decide first.

If you treat a certain position like gold...it will become gold. That is what they are doing. They are clearly targeting they guys they want.

Haven’t seen you in quite some time. But true to form, you haven’t forgotten how to trash the program.

At least you’re consistent.

Using a Texas holdem analogy I think we are pushing too many chips in the pot with a pocket K-10 or A-7 hand while other top programs wait for A-J, A-Q to push. Or they can afford to wait for the flop before committing a bunch of chips.

It may very well pay off. These coaches may have an extraordinary ability to identify talent earlier than other top end programs. But I maintain the best judge of talent in today’s college football is by the company you keep in recruiting. If a bunch of other top end programs also want a majority of your recruits then you are in good shape. If you are competing with Minnesota, purdue and Indiana for recruits then that is another story.

Wouldn’t spend too much time on anything that footballfin dude posts. He is just a garden variety troll, and a piss poor one at that.

Honestly kinda reminds me of T Mart. Got really good straight line speed, kinda funky throwing motion, decent arm strength. He looks to have a more agility though.

I still like Purcell much better

Well, as Tmart easily had the most explosive acceleration I've ever seen at NU.....leaving the opponent's secondary in the dust.....he sounds awesome!

https://journalstar.com/sports/husk...cle_48fdf264-4698-556b-940e-3161e238b79d.html
He and his parents will be in Lincoln at the end of next week, between an NCAA dead period that ends Tuesday and another that begins Aug. 1.
“Me and my dad talked about it and decided that we wanted to come back and see a little more and get to talk to the coaches again,” Smothers said.

This will also be the first chance for his mother to see NU’s campus and meet most of the coaching staff in person,
including Mario Verduzco.

“She’s actually already talked to Coach Verdu, though,” Smothers said with a laugh.

Not surprisingly, the Husker quarterbacks coach and the three-star prospect have already built a good rapport.

“He’s very enthusiastic about what he does and very passionate about what he does,” Smothers said. “I like him a lot and he does a great job with quarterbacks. … It’s just mind-blowing all the stuff that he knows that’s just on a completely different level. Me and my dad were just eyes wide open and like, ‘This guy knows what he’s talking about.’”

My aching back says yes.

Reactions: HBK4life
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. Only the 8th best?

His throwing mechanics aren't great. He reminds me a lot of Taylor Martinez on film. But he's only a sophomore in high school, so he's got time to work on that.

Love the Texas Hold 'rem analogy. Tournament style play? and if so how many big blinds do you have in this scenario? Are you playing for 1st place or to make it "into the money"?

And agree, the number of other Power 5 offers is very indicative. Hard to tell with Smothers only going to be a Junior at this point. In his film he looks super explosive, and throwing didn't look too bad. He has nice passing stats.

Throwing motion is obviously important, especially if your unorthodox motion is causing poor passes, but if you are successful throwing the football, ann unorthodox motion is often no big deal. I am reminded of great NFL quarterbacks like Kenny Stabler, Billy Kilmer, Kosar, and a few others ... all of whom had really weird looking side-arm style deliveries.

Scott Frost had an ugly throwing motion too....

Reactions: dsmalls3
His throwing mechanics aren't great. He reminds me a lot of Taylor Martinez on film. But he's only a sophomore in high school, so he's got time to work on that.

I'd take TMart's warp 7 acceleration any time. He's the quickest Husker I've ever seen.

I'd take TMart's warp 7 acceleration any time. He's the quickest Husker I've ever seen.
The TMart break out game vs. KSU in Manhattan will forever be etched in my memory. He looked an NFL player toying with Pop Warner tykes. One of the best single game performances I have ever seen by a Husker. KSU players had no idea how fast he was and their angles were off all night as he blazed by them.

Reactions: HuskerO
The TMart break out game vs. KSU in Manhattan will forever be etched in my memory. He looked an NFL player toying with Pop Warner tykes. One of the best single game performances I have ever seen by a Husker. KSU players had no idea how fast he was and their angles were off all night as he blazed by them.

I was there and loved every minute of that Thursday night game. Now back to original thread topic!! Winking

taylor-martinez-o.gif

566776bc2d28c.image.jpg

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT