ADVERTISEMENT

2020 Preseason Rankings

starhusker

Walk On
Dec 2, 2004
How many more season will we have to deal with mediocrity football to get back into the top 25 maybe top 10 and competing for conference title and college football playoffs if we were able to make it. Espn ranked Wisky 4th in the preseason and to win the Big Ten West again. Not sure how much longer we’ll be stuck in the mud under Frost like the last two seasons. Hopefully he can turn it around but it will maybe take another year or two to see improvements.

https://247sports.com/LongFormArtic...s-Clemson-Ohio-State-Texas-Florida-146778255/

I plugged all the variables in my College Football Future Smarty Program and it came up with this...

Top 25 - 2.4839 seasons
Top 10 - 3.9273 seasons
Conf Title - 3.290458 seasons
Playoffs - 6.239823 seasons

You are welcome.
Haha, thanks. Long way to go by your projections.

Reactions: Chief Wiggum
There is simply no way to know when we will be “back”. Hopefully, this year will start the turnaround. We desperately need a good season this year. Damn this stupid virus! It is screwing up everything. We have such a young team. Lots of talent poised to do something. But they needed those practice reps. Dadgummit.

Reactions: huskerfan1414
I plugged all the variables in my College Football Future Smarty Program and it came up with this...

Top 25 - 2.4839 seasons
Top 10 - 3.9273 seasons
Conf Title - 3.290458 seasons
Playoffs - 6.239823 seasons

You are welcome.
I will take any and all bets that Nebraska will not be in the playoffs in the next 10 years. screenshot and @ me in 10 years please

Reactions: CC_Lemming
I will take any and all bets that Nebraska will not be in the playoffs in the next 10 years. screenshot and @ me in 10 years please

That goes for 90% of the college football teams. Husker have a better shot at it then Iowa, Colorado, Minnesota and some of these other guys. But why you got to come pounding your chest about the Huskers having no shot at it in 10 years is beyond me when the same could be said about 90% of the Power 5 teams. Not exactly a big deal and I BET you no one was thinking it or saying it either.

i have to ask, do you feel important, special or something like that coming to a Husker board and posting crap like that or what? I just don’t get it at all. What do you get from it...honestly? I’m guessing you hate the fact your team is garbage and it makes you feel better trying to claim the Huskers are garbage too?

That goes for 90% of the college football teams. Husker have a better shot at it then Iowa, Colorado, Minnesota and some of these other guys. But why you got to come pounding your chest about the Huskers having no shot at it in 10 years is beyond me when the same could be said about 90% of the Power 5 teams. Not exactly a big deal and I BET you no one was thinking it or saying it either.

i have to ask, do you feel important, special or something like that coming to a Husker board and posting crap like that or what? I just don’t get it at all. What do you get from it...honestly? I’m guessing you hate the fact your team is garbage and it makes you feel better trying to claim the Huskers are garbage too?

Sounds like u want to make a wager

Sounds like u want to make a wager

My bet was me saying there wasn’t any Husker fans on this board guaranteeing our Huskers would be in the playoffs by year 10. So again, I’m a little lost with the “Oh snap shot this and I bet anyone the Huskers won’t be in the playoffs by year 10” comment. Unless there was someone saying it, why even post some crap like that, honestly?

Reactions: bshirt73
Whatever you wager, make sure that you uphold the proper ratio of Stanley Nickels to Schrute Bucks when you two settle up.

You can pay me in liquor.

My bet was me saying there wasn’t any Husker fans on this board guaranteeing our Huskers would be in the playoffs by year 10. So again, I’m a little lost with the “Oh snap shot this and I bet anyone the Huskers won’t be in the playoffs by year 10” comment. Unless there was someone saying it, why even post some crap like that, honestly?
see the original post I quoted brosephino. Screen shot it and @ me. I’ll be patiently waiting, thanks!

Nebraska fans don't know how to be patient. The team is basically in year 2 1/2 of a minimum 5 year rebuild.

Mike Riley completely left this program in shambles. This was the # of Big Ten caliber underclassmen scholarship players for each position group when Frost arrived:

OL: 3
QB: 1 - one transferred
RB: 0
WR: 2 - one transferred

DL: 4
LB: 3- one transferred
CB: 2
S: 1

This season, assuming there is some semblance of a "this season" is where we need to see some legitimate progress with key position groups:

1. LBs - Nebraska's linebackers were the worst in the Big Ten West for the last 4 seasons. Any defense in America with poor LB play is going to suck. Part of those problems derived from numbers. In 2020, we really need to see some production from dudes like Heinrich, Hannah, Mauga, and Keyshawn Green. They're all young and will be in reserve roles. But there has to be some headway made to start moving forward. I do believe Nebraska has hit rock bottom there.

3. DL- while the LB position has more experience, the DL has as much talented youth. This position group exemplifies why people need to be patient. Mike Riley's staff absolutely killed this position. Frost and staff have signed 11 Defensive Linemen in their 1st 3 classes. This comes after Riley left Frost with basically two guys he actually recruited in Damion Daniels and Deontre Thomas. Ben Stille would've signed with Nebraska regardless of the coach. And the Davis Twins were Pelini recruits.
2020 will mark the first time Nebraska actually builds a legit scholarship of 3 deep players who were recruited to play in this defense.

3. O-Line- Frost made a risky and bold choice by going with Jurgens last season despite him being undersized, not knowing how to snap, and only having a handful of practices under his belt. I do believe it will pay off in year two. I don't know much, but I can almost guarantee Jurgens will be 300 lbs with abs and his snaps will be crisp. The kid is a freakish athlete and I believe the staff made a terrific decision to move him to center. The next step involves Benhart to become a true Tackle allowing Farniok to move inside to guard where he is a better fit. From an experience and depth standpoint, the Huskers will have gotten over the hump. They've recruited well there and should be able to move forward.

Position that makes you go woof:

WR.

I will lay the blame on both Riley and Frost for this mess. Getting left with only two viable underclassmen receivers n Spielman and Lindsey is inexcusable. But then getting Lindsey to transfer to Oregon state when he's a starter is the ultimate fvck you. Part of that is on Frost as Walters had a poor relationship with his receivers from day one. Frost's inability to find immediate help was troubling. The 2019 JUCO class had a handful of good receivers who could've made an immediate impact. Frost and staff missed the boat and brought in too many Freshmen who were undersized and not ready to help.

That group needs Omar and Betts to be instant impact players right away. Opponents must respect players on the boundary or this offense gets bogged down quick.

Assuming Spielman doesn't return, the offense can still be potent with Wandale in the slot, Betts and Omar on the boundaries and a true RB like Dedrick Mills who should be very good in year 2. The QB needs help though.

i would not count out Minnesota

Reactions: huskerssalts

Iowa, Colorado, and Minnesota have all been closer to the CFP than Nebraska in the last decade.

Colorado hasn’t.. Even if they won the PAC 10 CCG in 2016 they would have not been in the playoffs..

But they were still closer.

There is a thing called the CFP rankings. They go all the way to 25. Colorado was in them, Nebraska was not, thus they were closer.

Nebraska fans don't know how to be patient. The team is basically in year 2 1/2 of a minimum 5 year rebuild.

Mike Riley completely left this program in shambles. This was the # of Big Ten caliber underclassmen scholarship players for each position group when Frost arrived:

OL: 3
QB: 1 - one transferred
RB: 0
WR: 2 - one transferred

DL: 4
LB: 3- one transferred
CB: 2
S: 1

This season, assuming there is some semblance of a "this season" is where we need to see some legitimate progress with key position groups:

1. LBs - Nebraska's linebackers were the worst in the Big Ten West for the last 4 seasons. Any defense in America with poor LB play is going to suck. Part of those problems derived from numbers. In 2020, we really need to see some production from dudes like Heinrich, Hannah, Mauga, and Keyshawn Green. They're all young and will be in reserve roles. But there has to be some headway made to start moving forward. I do believe Nebraska has hit rock bottom there.

3. DL- while the LB position has more experience, the DL has as much talented youth. This position group exemplifies why people need to be patient. Mike Riley's staff absolutely killed this position. Frost and staff have signed 11 Defensive Linemen in their 1st 3 classes. This comes after Riley left Frost with basically two guys he actually recruited in Damion Daniels and Deontre Thomas. Ben Stille would've signed with Nebraska regardless of the coach. And the Davis Twins were Pelini recruits.
2020 will mark the first time Nebraska actually builds a legit scholarship of 3 deep players who were recruited to play in this defense.

3. O-Line- Frost made a risky and bold choice by going with Jurgens last season despite him being undersized, not knowing how to snap, and only having a handful of practices under his belt. I do believe it will pay off in year two. I don't know much, but I can almost guarantee Jurgens will be 300 lbs with abs and his snaps will be crisp. The kid is a freakish athlete and I believe the staff made a terrific decision to move him to center. The next step involves Benhart to become a true Tackle allowing Farniok to move inside to guard where he is a better fit. From an experience and depth standpoint, the Huskers will have gotten over the hump. They've recruited well there and should be able to move forward.

Position that makes you go woof:

WR.

I will lay the blame on both Riley and Frost for this mess. Getting left with only two viable underclassmen receivers n Spielman and Lindsey is inexcusable. But then getting Lindsey to transfer to Oregon state when he's a starter is the ultimate fvck you. Part of that is on Frost as Walters had a poor relationship with his receivers from day one. Frost's inability to find immediate help was troubling. The 2019 JUCO class had a handful of good receivers who could've made an immediate impact. Frost and staff missed the boat and brought in too many Freshmen who were undersized and not ready to help.

That group needs Omar and Betts to be instant impact players right away. Opponents must respect players on the boundary or this offense gets bogged down quick.

Assuming Spielman doesn't return, the offense can still be potent with Wandale in the slot, Betts and Omar on the boundaries and a true RB like Dedrick Mills who should be very good in year 2. The QB needs help though.

This is garbage. 5 year rebuild? What?
Teams are completely rebuilt by year 3. That had been proven over, & over again. Not just winning records, but winning conference titles, playing for national titles, etc...
Last year was year 3 & the schedule was set up to be easy. What happened? Losing record. At this rate NU will be the 4th best team in the West by year 5, 9th in the overall B1G.
5 years to rebuild....Smh

Teams are completely rebuilt by year 3. That had been proven over, & over again. Not just winning records, but winning conference titles, playing for national titles, etc...
Last year was year 3 & the schedule was set up to be easy. What happened? Losing record. At this rate NU will be the 4th best team in the West by year 5, 9th in the overall B1G.
Jeez, you don't even know how long this coaching staff has been here? Last year, was year two.

Matt Millen is a former NFL General Manager, albeit a bad one, and he explicitly said that he thought the Nebraska program was a five-year build during the very last game of Nebraska's season in 2019. Bill Moos has stated the same. There are expectations and then there's reality. You can set the first one as high as you want to, but it won't circumvent the second one.

Also, last year was year 2.

Nebraska football wants to win championships. It will be a 5 year rebuild before that's attainable.

Now, the Huskers will have a 7 or 8 win caliber roster in year 3, and a 8 to 10 win caliber roster by year 4. But the team won't be capable of wining a championship before year 5.

And its funny you want to say Nebraska was "set up positively" last year. The team had Wyatt Mazour getting carries. Brody Belt was the return man. Kade Warner was considered a god send after returning from injury. Trent Hixon, a D2 scholarship caliber walk on, was the starting left guard. Noah Vedral had to play QB at Minnesota.

Nebraska barely had more talent than Northwestern.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT