ADVERTISEMENT

2020 O line starters and 2 deep?

When did Farniok play guard?
Don't think Farniok has played guard at NU in a game, but he was listed as a backup guard on the 2017 Iowa depth chart and has been talked about occupying that position for as long as he has been in the program. His presence at tackle speaks to the deficit of players NU has had at that position.

Going out on a limb because I like the younger guys much more than the older guys due to pure size, strength, and power. Pretty obvious Frost will also go through some growing pains if he believes in certain guys long term...

LT: Jaimes
LG: Corcoran
C: Jurgens
RG: Piper
LT: Benhart

Excluding M. Farniok, Boe Wilson, and Hixson because I think they're mentally soft and too small. I think Farniok and Hixson are soft and Wilson is too small, really short arms and narrow shoulders. I've also always been a firm believer that there is no teacher quite like real game speed experience to get fully broken in. And if everyone is going to preach "all the best teams in the nation have Freshman and Sophomores on their lines" then there ya go. If you're going to go fully that route, argue that Banks gets a shot at LT for Jaimes too. But I'll take Jaimes for 2020, nothing wrong with that dude in my opinion.

Oh, also Corcoran and Piper are interchangeable at the guard because idk the technical differences between the two and why you would put someone at one guard position but not the other.
So starting a true freshman and 2 redshirt freshmen is an upgrade?

So starting a true freshman and 2 redshirt freshmen is an upgrade?

We can continue to say "we are young" that way. There seems to be the expectation that the young guys are soooo much better they are going to come and take spots away from current starters. It may happen, but I would not expect it right away, maybe injuries, etc. It seems to be more about expectations, preferred body types (whatever that is), fit for the system and of course, Frost recruited them. The current starters likely are not going to go down without a fight on this. They will improve as well.

Reactions: bigRed-no-BiilyC
We can continue to say "we are young" that way. There seems to be the expectation that the young guys are soooo much better they are going to come and take spots away from current starters. It may happen, but I would not expect it right away, maybe injuries, etc. It seems to be more about expectations, preferred body types (whatever that is), fit for the system and of course, Frost recruited them. The current starters likely are not going to go down without a fight on this. They will improve as well.
I am excited for Corcoran but I don’t expect true freshman him to be better than Wilson or Hixson next year. Same with piper like upside but doesn’t mean better than experienced guys. Benhart is wild card at tackle. I expect farniok had to stay at tackle but if he is ready could be upgrade and farniok moves to more natural position

Preferred body types for O linemen are taller guys with longer arms that can run well. Are you a get a big wr guy? Bingo. D line, taller long armed body type, LBs, speed speed speed.
The center can be shorter,but has to run well.

We haven't had those guys. Bootle shouldn't and is far from, the fastest guy on the team,unlike how he used to be. Having dbs under 6',nope. Bigger 6'3" dbs and safeties.

So, now you know what it is.

I am excited for Corcoran but I don’t expect true freshman him to be better than Wilson or Hixson next year. Same with piper like upside but doesn’t mean better than experienced guys. Benhart is wild card at tackle. I expect farniok had to stay at tackle but if he is ready could be upgrade and farniok moves to more natural position
Here's the thing with Corcoran, if he starts game one, by game five,he will be better.

I think they may try blending the guys in,not sure how yet, but they will, and, by the end of the year, our O line likely will have up to ten guys ready to go, little if any dropoff

If the goal is to start the best five, I would say the list of possibles is as follows: Jaimes, Jurgens are locks to start (barring injury of course), Farniok and Wilson are likely starters, Bando, Benhart and Hixson will be competing for a starting spot.

Wilson was awful last year, just like Farniok. need either to step up their game or hope their replacements do.

You don't do another CJ if you can avoid it. If CJ was slowly worked into live action, he would have gained a ton of growth,and arguably wouldn't have been fighting himself and his mistakes less than when he was the only guy.

Same for the rest of these guys, no hurry up and be game ready warts and all, but get out there, show your mistakes,your strengths, and slowly work on them over a season.
Now,if a guys ready,he's ready, that's different than pushing a guy into game shape, which can eat a little more time off the coaching of the entire room.
By the end of next season, we will have an extra whole new line.

Going out on a limb because I like the younger guys much more than the older guys due to pure size, strength, and power. Pretty obvious Frost will also go through some growing pains if he believes in certain guys long term...

Excluding M. Farniok, Boe Wilson, and Hixson because I think they're mentally soft and too small. I think Farniok and Hixson are soft and Wilson is too small, really short arms and narrow shoulders. I've also always been a firm believer that there is no teacher quite like real game speed experience to get fully broken in. And if everyone is going to preach "all the best teams in the nation have Freshman and Sophomores on their lines" then there ya go. If you're going to go fully that route, argue that Banks gets a shot at LT for Jaimes too. But I'll take Jaimes for 2020, nothing wrong with that dude in my opinion.

Oh, also Corcoran and Piper are interchangeable at the guard because idk the technical differences between the two and why you would put someone at one guard position but not the other.
A lot of the guys we've had on the Oline were highly thought of coming out of high school. I don't think the coaching has been up to par at that position. I'm also not the biggest fan of judging a player by body type and frame. There have been plenty of guys who have looked the part and can't play and there's guys who look like a pile of pudge and their athletic ceiling is a lot higher than you think.

A lot of the guys we've had on the Oline were highly thought of coming out of high school. I don't think the coaching has been up to par at that position. I'm also not the biggest fan of judging a player by body type and frame. There have been plenty of guys who have looked the part and can't play and there's guys who look like a pile of pudge and their athletic ceiling is a lot higher than you think.
Then fire the guy who wrote the book on it, for several pro teams,varying sports etc.
Big fan of it or not,it's here to stay.
Not saying they don't look at guys in many ways, like,Wandales too small, for instance.
Someone could make that argument, yet, he's starting on the team.
Ellis knows what he's doing, and not being a fan, look him up first,then decide if his accomplishments change your mind.

Here,read this
https://cehs.unl.edu/cehs/alumni/dave-ellis/

REAL STATISTICS:
-22 of the Top 25 teams played almost all upperclassmen on their OLine.
***Upperclassmen meaning players on campus for 3 seasons or more

-Every Top 25 team's line was over half upperclassmen.

-There are examples of teams that started 3 or more underclassmen but none of them made the Top 25.
***Underclassmen meaning True Freshmen, Redshirt Freshmen, True Sophomores

-3 of the Top 25 team's started 2 underclassmen which is the highest number played.

-Of all the AP Top 25 teams, only 3 teams had more than one starting OLinemen that hadn't been in college for 3 seasons.

OPINION BASED ON STATISTICS:
We just saw the OLine finally start to pull it together by the end of last season. A crew of True Freshmen, Redshirt Freshmen, and True Sophomores would be a complete reset as opposed to building on our progress.

I would prefer we not rush the young guys in to action. The trenches are for grown men. Develop our guys and let them hit the field when they are ready. That's how it's done at every other successful program in the country.

Reactions: bigRed-no-BiilyC
REAL STATISTICS:

-There are examples of teams that started 3 or more underclassmen but none of them made the Top 25.

-3 of the Top 25 team's started 2 underclassmen which is the highest number played.

-Of all the AP Top 25 teams, only 3 teams had more than one starting OLinemen that hadn't been in college for 3 seasons.

We just saw the OLine finally start to pull it together by the end of last season. A crew of True Freshmen, Redshirt Freshmen, and True Sophomores would be a complete reset as opposed to building on our progress.

I would prefer we not rush the young guys in to action. The trenches are for grown men. Develop our guys and let them hit the field when they are ready. That's how it's done at every other successful program in the country.
Nice work.
I think CJ was fast tracked because of the hole we had at center.
Now, how many lately?
Farniok and Jaimes, early talk of Boe starting under MR. You can go back further, but we haven't looked like a top twenty five team because we didn't have what top twenty five teams have.
Every time I hear about our recruiting prowess, I think of way too many walkons from a depleted walkon program starting on our lines.
I think it'd be pretty damn hard to argue against what you posted, but it will assuredly get ignored.

REAL STATISTICS:

The guys we had last year, with the exception of Farniok moving to guard, will be bad once again. hoping these new guys can take over

you said you were impressed with Farniok at a guard spot, while also suggesting Jurgens either not play or play a little guard.

your credibility on the matter is floating down the sewer with my latest #2.

I think Farniok will be an above average guard. Jurgens too small and not as strong. Frost thought he be good at center without ever seeing him even play on the offensive line. Your logic doesn't make sense.

The guys we had last year, with the exception of Farniok moving to guard, will be bad once again. hoping these new guys can take over
Come on... this is getting ridiculous. So guys at Nebraska aren’t expected to improve? Is that it? You are very vocal about certain elements (OLine, Chinander) of husker football and convinced that they will suck forever, and it gets a bit old...

Reactions: bshirt73
From 2015 until now, walk on starting OLinemen Are Utter, Conrad, Hahn, and Hixson. NU was really lucky Utter and Conrad were around early.

I think Farniok will be an above average guard. Jurgens too small and not as strong. Frost thought he be good at center without ever seeing him even play on the offensive line. Your logic doesn't make sense.
my 'logic' was you have no idea what you're talking about.

makes perfect sense to me, and you continue to strengthen it.

From 2015 until now, walk on starting OLinemen Are Utter, Conrad, Hahn, and Hixson. NU was really lucky Utter and Conrad were around early.
I know this is about the O line, but converted TEs aren't exclusive to the O line, neither is walkons.

It's a pattern of exception, not dependability

So, Ellis doesn't know what he's doing? And wasn't it said CJ is the strongest O lineman?
So, tell us why Ellis is wrong on his judgement in regards to Jurgens never going to be big enough?

This should be the IDEAL starters
LT: Jaemis
LG: Wilson/Farniok
C: Juergens
RG: Wilson/Farniok
RT: Benhart

A couple things need to happen. A) Benhart needs to be ready to play right away next year. B) Farniok/Wilson can play either side. Not picky about where they line up. Maybe put Farniok on benharts side so behart has an experienced senior next to him?

Behind them is a toss up for me. But if I had to guess
LT: Turner
LG: Hixson
C: baby Farniok
RT: Broc Bando

You could see a number of guys fill in there, but best case scenerio the starters are the 4 from last year+ Benhart. Willing to let this get worked out in spring/fall camp

He improved dramatically by the end of the season. Or was I watching someone else?
Maybe some think no player will ever get better? Not sure how this is nothing but complaining about something thats long under the bridge?
I suspect CJ will be bigger and stronger, and should be handlng his business this coming year.

Reactions: timnsun
REAL STATISTICS:

I'll be honest, my post was 100% sarcastic and I probably should have elaborated that. I just haven't been on here much the last few days to do that. I'm a giant fan of letting O-Lineman have 2 seasons in the weight room, film room, training table, and practice squad, before seeing any significant minutes. Like only seeing minutes in a game like Maryland in their first two seasons. Jurgens was the exception to that rule because little Farniok is too just too small and soft in my opinion.

I still like Piper at a guard position this year because of his potential, like Jurgens. So strictly for 2020, because this will 100% change for me in 2021 but I'll seriously go:

LG: Piper/Farniok
RG: Piper/Farniok

Reactions: headcard
I'll be honest, my post was 100% sarcastic and I probably should have elaborated that. I just haven't been on here much the last few days to do that. I'm a giant fan of letting O-Lineman have 2 seasons in the weight room, film room, training table, and practice squad, before seeing any significant minutes. Like only seeing minutes in a game like Maryland in their first two seasons. Jurgens was the exception to that rule because little Farniok is too just too small and soft in my opinion.

I still like Piper at a guard position this year because of his potential, like Jurgens. So strictly for 2020, because this will 100% change for me in 2021 but I'll seriously go:

LG: Piper/Farniok
RG: Piper/Farniok

Ditto. Although I do think 2021 is when the OL starts to look like they want with:
LT: Corcoran
LG: Piper
RG: Nouili

That is a very athletic group.

Last edited:
Ditto. Although I do think 2021 is when the OL starts to look like they want with:

Bando and Hixson will be Srs. in 2021. Hixson started last year and Bando played a good bit toward the end of the season.

Bando and Hixson will be Srs. in 2021. Hixson started last year and Bando played a good bit toward the end of the season.
Will be interesting to see the OG spots shake out. Those two have some experience, but the coaches rave about the athleticism of Piper and Nouili was a monster last year as a true Freshman at CSU.

He should get a medical RS, he blew a knee before his senior season last year and didn't play a snap all year. I'd be shocked if his medical isn't granted.
I thought I read that he had gotten one. I won't be surprised to see him in the rotation next fall.

Reactions: GretnaShawn

Did Nouili get a transfer waiver?

He’s a walk-on. So he is immediately eligible.
Not sure that's 100% accurate.
https://dataomaha.com/huskers/player/7291/nouredin-nouili

Nouili said he’ll submit to the NCAA a waiver seeking immediate eligibility so he doesn’t have to sit out a year. He plans on finishing the semester at Colorado State and then enrolling at NU for the spring semester. He’ll participate in winter conditioning and spring practice.

“Coach Frost laid out for me how the next few months would go,” Nouili said.

If the waiver is denied, he’ll have to redshirt next season and prepare to be a redshirt sophomore in 2021.

Read more: https://dataomaha.com/huskers/player/7291/nouredin-nouili#ixzz6CHk0KZ81

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT