ADVERTISEMENT

2020 O line starters and 2 deep?

HBK4life

Nebraska Legend
Jan 24, 2004
North of Lincoln South of Heaven
https://hailvarsity.com/s/8821/nebraska-roster-reset-offensive-line
The 2019 season has officially come to an end, which means its time to turn our sights toward 2020. With Nebraska locking in the vast majority of its recruiting class during the early signing period, now is a good time to take stock of where the roster stands.

We’ve already covered the skill positions, so it’s the offensive line’s turn now.

Offense: Backfield | Pass-Catchers

Offensive Line (16 Scholarship, 13 Walk-On)
Returners: SR Brendan Jaimes, SR Matt Farniok, SR Boe Wilson, SR Christian Gaylord, JR Broc Bando, JR Matt Sichterman, SO Cam Jurgens, SO Will Farniok, rFR Ethan Piper, rFR Bryce Benhart, rFR Matthew Anderson, rFR Michael Lynn, rFR Brant Banks, rFR Jimmy Fritzsche, FR Turner Corcoran, JR Trent Hixson (walk-on), JR Hunter Miller (walk-on), JR Josh Wegener (walk-on), SO AJ Forbes (walk-on), SO Ian Boerkircher (walk-on), rFR Riley Moses (walk-on), rFR Garrett Nuss (walk-on), rFR Noah Stafursky (walk-on)

Newcomers: FR Turner Corcoran, FR Alex Conn, SO Nouredin Nouili (walk-on), FR Blayden Bayless (walk-on), FR Keegan Menning (walk-on), FR Eli Simonson (walk-on), FR Xavier Trevino (walk-on)

Departures: John Raridon (retirement), Nick Virka (walk-on), Mitchell Balenger (walk-on), Collin Shefke (walk-on)

Only eight players remain in the offensive line room from before Scott Frost’s staff arrived in Lincoln.

Benhart needs to be starting at OT so Matt F can move to guard. The chance is there for Piper and Banks to get on the 2 deep. Turner Corcoran is talented enough to play as a true freshman as well. Finally have some bodies to create some good competition. The CSU transfer Nouredin could figure in too.

https://hailvarsity.com/s/8821/nebraska-roster-reset-offensive-line
The 2019 season has officially come to an end, which means its time to turn our sights toward 2020. With Nebraska locking in the vast majority of its recruiting class during the early signing period, now is a good time to take stock of where the roster stands.

We’ve already covered the skill positions, so it’s the offensive line’s turn now.

Offense: Backfield | Pass-Catchers

Offensive Line (16 Scholarship, 13 Walk-On)
Returners: SR Brendan Jaimes, SR Matt Farniok, SR Boe Wilson, SR Christian Gaylord, JR Broc Bando, JR Matt Sichterman, SO Cam Jurgens, SO Will Farniok, rFR Ethan Piper, rFR Bryce Benhart, rFR Matthew Anderson, rFR Michael Lynn, rFR Brant Banks, rFR Jimmy Fritzsche, FR Turner Corcoran, JR Trent Hixson (walk-on), JR Hunter Miller (walk-on), JR Josh Wegener (walk-on), SO AJ Forbes (walk-on), SO Ian Boerkircher (walk-on), rFR Riley Moses (walk-on), rFR Garrett Nuss (walk-on), rFR Noah Stafursky (walk-on)

Newcomers: FR Turner Corcoran, FR Alex Conn, SO Nouredin Nouili (walk-on), FR Blayden Bayless (walk-on), FR Keegan Menning (walk-on), FR Eli Simonson (walk-on), FR Xavier Trevino (walk-on)

Departures: John Raridon (retirement), Nick Virka (walk-on), Mitchell Balenger (walk-on), Collin Shefke (walk-on)

Only eight players remain in the offensive line room from before Scott Frost’s staff arrived in Lincoln.

I'm going with:
Lt. Banks
Lg Fritsche
C Piper
Rg Farniok
Rt Benhart

LT - Jaimes
LG - Corcoran/Bando/Wilson
C - Jurgens
RG - Farniok
RT - Benhardt

I would put Farniok and Benhardt on the same side. That way if BB has any questions, MF is right there. Same with the other side if Corcoran wins it. BJ is right there.
I agree with you on four spots. At LG, I’ll go with Piper.

LT: Jaimes, Corcoran
LG: Piper, Wilson
C: Jurgens, W. Farniok
RG: M. Farniok, Hixon
RT: Benhart, Bando

5 starters come back, so it could be the same as last year but I'll guess:
Jaimes, Farniok, Jurgens, Wilson, Gaylord

Of the freshmen, I think Piper will be a top challenger and might beat out Jurgens or Wilson as the season progresses. Benhart has a good shot at RT as well, but I'll pick Gaylord assuming he gets the extra year of eligibility everyone assumes.
For second string, I'll go Bando, Hixson, WFarniok, Piper, Bernhart

LT: Jaimes, Benhart
Jaimes has proven to be capable at the LT spot. Benhart or Corcoran are likely the future at LT.

LG: Farniok, Hixson
Frost has stated that Farniok likely moves inside. Having a returning starter as 2nd string is isually a good sign.

C: Jurgens, Farniok
Both were Freshmen last season and Cam really came on late last season. Barring another major injury to Cam he's likely our starter.

RG: Wilson, Sichterman
He's a returning starter on an inproving line. I wouldn't be shocked to see someone else emerge but I wouldnt panic either.

RT: Bando, Gaylord
Bando looked good in his limited action at LT last season. He and Gaylord both have experience but I wouldn't be surprised if it were Bando, Gaylord, or Benhart

There has been a lot of talk about the Freshmen group but its usually a bad sign if a P5 program is starting a crew of Freshmen at OLine.

Reactions: HBK4life
I'm going with:
T - Jaimes
G - Farniok
C - Jurgens
G - Bando/Wilson (Don't be surprised if Corcoran overtakes them).
T - Benhart

That's a solid linenup there, probably the best in the past 5 years.

agreed. This is exactly what I expect it to look like. I see Benhart taking Farnioks spot and Farniok moving to guard (where he belongs). And I definitely wouldn’t be surprised to see early enrollee and Top 60 in the country Turner Corcoran play at Guard for this season and maybe next. Dudes a legit talent we haven’t had in a long time. Don’t forget about B Banks.

Same problem as usual. If the freshmen aren't good enough to get lots of playing time and bump someone out, they will red shirt them. Not likely, although possible, that any of the current starters get beat out in the spring or even the fall but possibly because of injury or ineffectiveness they get a chance to play and make their mark once the season begins. No one is going to give up their spot easily and the learning curve is steep. And those thinking someone other than Jurgens is starting at center - well, I will be shocked if that happens, Frost has anointed him that position.

The chance for some real, legit, hard fought position battles across the front line with multiple players in the mix at several spots is like a wet dream.
The youngsters are gonna push even if they come up short.

Reactions: huskerssalts
I hope Farniok proves everyone right who feels that moving him to guard is going to bring notable improvement in his performance. Color me skeptical on that one, but hopefully it plays out that way.

Why? He would be a small guard and we have guards. Who is then moved to center?

sorry, not Jurgens, I meant Jaimes. I was not impressed with any of the OL last year with the exception of Farniok at a guard spot. Hopefully, these young athletic guys can learn the system and have added strength, they're the only hope at having overwhelming athletes at the OL position.

they are all in on Jurgens at center, with that said I believe Piper plays the guard position and plays a lot, those newbies that were there last year will see significant playing time this year.

sorry, not Jurgens, I meant Jaimes. I was not impressed with any of the OL last year with the exception of Farniok at a guard spot. Hopefully, these young athletic guys can learn the system and have added strength, they're the only hope at having overwhelming athletes at the OL position.

When did Farniok play OG last season? I missed that if was the case.

Reactions: John_J_Rambo

Ok, so another question. When did Farniok play guard? Or are you suggesting IF he gets moved inside?

We could all be disappointed when the Young bucks don't unseat the current starters.

The assumption is the young guys are better and more athletic. The argument is they don't know the system, aren't strong enough and most all, the current starters will get better as well. As I said earlier, I don't expect a current starters to lose their spot until the season starts aside from some possible position changes.

Time to groom the new guys but wholesale replacement is not likely. IMHO

We could all be disappointed when the Young bucks don't unseat the current starters.

The assumption is the young guys are better and more athletic. The argument is they don't know the system, aren't strong enough and most all, the current starters will get better as well. As I said earlier, I don't expect a current starters to lose their spot until the season starts aside from some possible position changes.

You made good points but it has already been indicated that they want to put Farniok in the best position to succeed and that is at guard. Benhart is big and strong enough to be pinned as the starter this coming year. Plus, Frost has shown his willingness to start young talented guys.

I don't think wholesale like some. But Benhart is better suited at OT than Farniok. He just needed a year to add some weight and gain some strength. Also I think guys like Piper and Banks coukd crack the 2 deep.

Going out on a limb because I like the younger guys much more than the older guys due to pure size, strength, and power. Pretty obvious Frost will also go through some growing pains if he believes in certain guys long term...

LT: Jaimes
LG: Corcoran
C: Jurgens
RG: Piper
LT: Benhart

Excluding M. Farniok, Boe Wilson, and Hixson because I think they're mentally soft and too small. I think Farniok and Hixson are soft and Wilson is too small, really short arms and narrow shoulders. I've also always been a firm believer that there is no teacher quite like real game speed experience to get fully broken in. And if everyone is going to preach "all the best teams in the nation have Freshman and Sophomores on their lines" then there ya go. If you're going to go fully that route, argue that Banks gets a shot at LT for Jaimes too. But I'll take Jaimes for 2020, nothing wrong with that dude in my opinion.

Oh, also Corcoran and Piper are interchangeable at the guard because idk the technical differences between the two and why you would put someone at one guard position but not the other.

Something not discussed yet but injury will factor in with starting line up and how its likely to change through the year. Im feel a lot better with our depth and ability to absorb a injury. Nourelli and Cocoran could factor in right away. Piper also a factor.. Farniok will move to guard and he will have to win that spot! Jaimes and Benhart likely tackles and center is Jurgens. Guard spots will be a battle!!!

Reactions: scarletred
Thinking about this year, we only had two rsfrosh going at center, Walkons beating out scholly players and having a so so season, not standing out in other words,as our scholly players should get to so so ability.
A RT who's ok there, but likely better at guard, anothe guard who's good,but better suited in another system, with three backups, one who was injured right away and is seeking a med sixth year.

Now, we have Corcoran,Benhart, Gaylord possibly back, Nourelli Piper, plus who knows who else might step up? This is the beginning of the rebuild, these are the options,except for older more seasoned players, teams like wiscy,iowa etc have had, while for years we scrabbled together lines with holes and very thin depth behind them.

LT: Jaimes, Benhart
Jaimes has proven to be capable at the LT spot. Benhart or Corcoran are likely the future at LT.

LG: Farniok, Hixson
Frost has stated that Farniok likely moves inside. Having a returning starter as 2nd string is isually a good sign.

C: Jurgens, Farniok
Both were Freshmen last season and Cam really came on late last season. Barring another major injury to Cam he's likely our starter.

RG: Wilson, Sichterman
He's a returning starter on an inproving line. I wouldn't be shocked to see someone else emerge but I wouldnt panic either.

RT: Bando, Gaylord
Bando looked good in his limited action at LT last season. He and Gaylord both have experience but I wouldn't be surprised if it were Bando, Gaylord, or Benhart

There has been a lot of talk about the Freshmen group but its usually a bad sign if a P5 program is starting a crew of Freshmen at OLine.
Pretty sure Gaylord is done isn't he? (Medical?)

ADVERTISEMENT