ADVERTISEMENT

2017 Senior Attrition

Who will be off the team in 2017 due to attrition?

• Adam Taylor

Votes: 20 26.0%
  • Zach Hannon

Votes: 35 45.5%
  • Dwayne Johnson Jr

Votes: 42 54.5%
  • AJ Natter

Votes: 12 15.6%
  • Boaz Joseph

Votes: 41 53.2%
  • Other: List below in thread

Votes: 6 7.8%
  • None of the above

Votes: 11 14.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

TwinsRRUs

Recruiting Coordinator
Oct 1, 2011
SW NE
With the recent talk of the program being ran in a more business-like fashion, IMHO I think we will see a little more attrition going into the future. I could be wrong, but I pose the question:

What players on the roster have the best chance of being asked to leave the program, whether they will be placed on a different scholarship to still help them graduate this December/next spring or whether they just graduate this spring because they red-shirted and this would be their fifth year in the program but are not contributing enough to warrant taking up a scholarship this fall?

Adam Taylor - Special teams player, no carries at RB, will be 5th year senior

Zach Hannon - Reserve OL that has played little (No games at all in 2015)

Dwayne Johnson Jr. - A reserve OT that has not played and with the RS-Freshman looking strong, it looks less likely that he will contribute much in 2017

AJ Natter - Limited by injuries early in his career, was Freedom's backup in 2016. Maybe shouldn't be on this list, but I will leave him on anyways.

Boaz Joseph - 3rd string CB behind Kalu and Jackson, missed the bowl game, I have him on this list because of the following quote from a December article:
"Another Husker, reserve cornerback Boaz Joseph, was also ruled ineligible for the bowl. Riley didn’t know Joseph’s standing with the team going forward.

Gerry and Joseph didn’t violate a team rule, Riley said, and their suspension wasn’t related to behavior."

Do any or all of these get asked to move on between now and fall camp?

Are there any scholarships opened up for walk-on seniors this fall?

Last edited:
Hannon, Johnson Jr.and Joseph I would be OK with. I would keep Natter because of overall depth at position and I would keep Taylor for having athletes on special teams so starters can get off the field for a few plays. Unless the latter two are keeping a special kid from getting a scholarship and signing with Nebraska February 1st

Will also be interesting to see how the change in scheme effects guys like King and Davis.

Will also be interesting to see how the change in scheme effects guys like King and Davis.

Haven't thought of that.

Wonder whether the new DC would have anything to say about players or whether that is something between the position coach and Riley.

Or whether DW will have a differing opinion (vs Stewart) on some of his players in the coming year. Maybe he will change up the backups after learning his players during spring ball and depth chart results would cause future attrition.

With the recent talk of the program being ran in a more business-like fashion, IMHO I think we will see a little more attrition going into the future. I could be wrong, but I pose the question:

What players on the roster have the best chance of being asked to leave the program, whether they will be placed on a different scholarship to still help them graduate this December/next spring or whether they just graduate this spring because they red-shirted and this would be their fifth year in the program but are not contributing enough to warrant taking up a scholarship this fall?

Dwayne Johnson Jr. - A reserve OT that has not played and with the RS-Freshman looking strong, it looks less likely that he will contribute much in 2017

AJ Natter - Limited by injuries early in his career, was Freedom's backup in 2016. Maybe shouldn't be on this list, but I will leave him on anyways.

Boaz Joseph - 3rd string CB behind Kalu and Jackson, missed the bowl game, I have him on this list because of the following quote from a December article:
"Another Husker, reserve cornerback Boaz Joseph, was also ruled ineligible for the bowl. Riley didn’t know Joseph’s standing with the team going forward.

Gerry and Joseph didn’t violate a team rule, Riley said, and their suspension wasn’t related to behavior."

Are there scholarships opened up for walk-on seniors this fall?

im 100% behind Attrition for non-contributors who are 5 or 4 year guys. However, I think the NCAA should allow the university to keep these kids on scholarship without counting them toward the 85. But only if their GPA remains at a good level and their on schedule to graduate. Maybe give them an admin role on the team, in some way.

Remember this is about student athletes. By allowing them a no risk 5 years on the team is not teaching them certain fundamentals that drives our country/ the real world. However, if they perform well enough in the class room, they shouldn't lose their ship.

Remember this is about student athletes. By allowing them a no risk 5 years on the team is not teaching them certain fundamentals that drives our country/ the real world. However, if they perform well enough in the class room, they shouldn't lose their ship.

I agree they should keep a scholarship to be able to finish their degree, even if they take a full 5 years to complete it as that seems to be how long a lot of students are taking to graduate nowadays for whatever reasons.

For all I know it probably already happens that way, but we just don't hear about it maybe... who knows.

I agree they should keep a scholarship to be able to finish their degree, even if they take a full 5 years to complete it as that seems to be how long a lot of students are taking to graduate nowadays for whatever reasons.

For all I know it probably already happens that way, but we just don't hear about it maybe... who knows.

Are there scholarships opened up for walk-on seniors this fall?

Adam Taylor is a shock to me... saw him in the state championship game when he pretty much carried Katy (largest division in Texas) to the title.

im 100% behind Attrition for non-contributors who are 5 or 4 year guys. However, I think the NCAA should allow the university to keep these kids on scholarship without counting them toward the 85. But only if their GPA remains at a good level and their on schedule to graduate. Maybe give them an admin role on the team, in some way.

Do you really want to give teams like Alabama permission to run people off?

Am I the only one who thinks this topic shouldn't be brought up on a free Husker message board? We're basically saying these guys suck and should lose their scholarship. I don't think it's right to bring this up. They are still Huskers after all, and most of them are still working hard to be able to contribute. If you critique some of the more talented players, you're instantly called out for it, but it's perfectly ok for us to say guys should lose their scholarship?

Am I the only one who thinks this topic shouldn't be brought up on a free Husker message board? We're basically saying these guys suck and should lose their scholarship. I don't think it's right to bring this up. They are still Huskers after all, and most of them are still working hard to be able to contribute. If you critique some of the more talented players, you're instantly called out for it, but it's perfectly ok for us to say guys should lose their scholarship?
Agreed. Joseph should be the only player mentioned on a thread like this due to his suspension. The others are huskers. Of course players will leave but lets not speculate who

Adam Taylor is a shock to me... saw him in the state championship game when he pretty much carried Katy (largest division in Texas) to the title.
Never been the same since his injury is what I hear. Lost a step some say.

Never been the same since his injury is what I hear. Lost a step some say.

At the time of his commitment, i thought someone compared his to Adrian Peterson with his running style, which got me all excited thinking we were set at RB for a few years...

Injuries suck!!

I could be wrong, but I think it has been brought up in the past on this board that Alabama basically runs people off already and has for a few years now.

When one of their players isn't pulling their weight, they get "cut" and "asked" to find somewhere else to play football.

Part of the reason that they have been able to recruit so many recruits year in and year out is that they have players go to the NFL early and players transfer out quite often.

Year - Bama (NU) # of recruits
2017 - 26 (16)
2016 - 24 (21)
2015 - 25 (21)
2014 - 26 (25)
2013 - 25 (25)
2012 - 26 (17)
2011 - 23 (20)
2010 - 26 (22)
2009 - 27 (20)
2008 - 32 (28)
2007 - 25 (27)
2006 - 23 (22)

They have recruited 101 players over the last 4 years and 126 players over 5 years. That's 4 players a year that leave for one reason or another.

They actually redshirt players too. An Alabama red-shirt tracker site mentioned that 11 players were to redshirt from the 2014 class, 13 from the 2015 class, and 12 from the 2016 class.

The 2009 class only had 7 make it to their senior year.
The 2010 class had only 10 players make it to their senior year.
The 2011 class had only 8 make it to their junior year.

I could be wrong, but I think it has been brought up in the past on this board that Alabama basically runs people off already and has for a few years now.

When one of their players isn't pulling their weight, they get "cut" and "asked" to find somewhere else to play football.

Part of the reason that they have been able to recruit so many recruits year in and year out is that they have players go to the NFL early and players transfer out quite often.

2017 - 26 (16)
2016 - 24 (21)
2015 - 25 (21)
2014 - 26 (25)
2013 - 25 (25)
2012 - 26 (17)
2011 - 23 (20)
2010 - 26 (22)
2009 - 27 (20)
2008 - 32 (28)
2007 - 25 (27)
2006 - 23 (22)

They have recruited 101 players over the last 4 years and 126 players over 5 years. That's 4 players a year that leave for one reason or another.

They actually redshirt players too. An Alabama red-shirt tracker site mentioned that 11 players were to redshirt from the 2014 class, 13 from the 2015 class, and 12 from the 2016 class.

That's my point. They do it already, though they are generally not supposed to do so, by most programs moral standards. Do you want to make it more acceptable to do so?

That's my point. They do it already, though they are generally not supposed to do so, by most programs moral standards. Do you want to make it more acceptable to do so?

No I do not. I agree with you.

The only reasoning at all I could think of would to level the playing field, but teams that are going to bend the rules in order to win will always figure out the little advantages.

Hannon and Johnson...

Well, that makes two from the list that are gone now (unless I forgot about another).

2017 - 26 (16)
2016 - 24 (21)
2015 - 25 (21)
2014 - 26 (25)
2013 - 25 (25)
2012 - 26 (17)
2011 - 23 (20)
2010 - 26 (22)
2009 - 27 (20)
2008 - 32 (28)
2007 - 25 (27)
2006 - 23 (22)

There was a report out years ago that Sabin was putting healthy players on medical scholerships.....

Sorry if I missed the explanation, but what incentive would the team have (or the player) to force a senior out of the program?

Sorry if I missed the explanation, but what incentive would the team have (or the player) to force a senior out of the program?

Just for clarity, typically we are talking about 5th year seniors. But the incentive, for the school, is that it allows a scholarship to be used in the current signing period.

In my example above, if Zach Hannon was told in September of 2016 that this would be his 4th and final season on scholarship at Nebraska, Riley could have used that scholarship in February 2017. As it is now, Hannon decided to stick it out through the spring, now his scholarship cannot typically be filled by anything other than a walk on getting a one year scholarship. Then it would open back up in February 2018, just as it would have if Hannon stuck around for his 5th year at Nebraska.

Reactions: sparky62
Not sure there is a benefit to the player, other than he could be completing his 11th or 12th semester of free school (including summers).

Summer, fall, spring RS year
Summer, fall, spring RS freshman year
Summer, fall, spring RS Soph year
Summer, fall, spring RS jr year

4 years + summers paid for is plenty. If they don't get their degree by that time, that is their own fault and they can foot the bill for the rest. No reason to pay for non-contributors longer than that.

This ^^^

Summer classes are a joke and the athletes easily knockout 2+ a year.

I'm probably not thinking it all the way through, but why would we ask seniors to move on? It wouldn't give us any more scholarships for 2018.

I'm probably not thinking it all the way through, but why would we ask seniors to move on? It wouldn't give us any more scholarships for 2018.

i don't think anyone is suggesting seniors move on, at least I'm not. I am, however, asking for non contributing 4th year juniors to move on. A player like Zac Darlington stepping away after this coming season would open a scholarship a year early.

Reactions: HuskerLLM
i don't think anyone is suggesting seniors move on, at least I'm not. I am, however, asking for non contributing 4th year juniors to move on. A player like Zac Darlington stepping away after this coming season would open a scholarship a year early.
Adam Taylor, AJ Natter, and Boaz Joseph are on the list.

Adam Taylor, AJ Natter, and Boaz Joseph are on the list.

Possibly, but those players should have been addressed in the fall of 2016. Their scholarships are already available for the next recruiting class. Getting rid of 5th year seniors like Hannon and Johnson don't add any scholarships.

can never figure out why a non contributor wouldn't want a chance to play somewhere. most will never get another chance. almost like something missing in their competitive nature in the first place. maybe some just don't like change.

Maybe you can help quicken their departure by sending all of those NC juniors a nice note telling them their services are no longer wanted or needed at UNL.;)

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT