ADVERTISEMENT

2017 Recruiting class

SLOHusker

Senior
Aug 7, 2001
2020 will be the 4th year for the 2017 recruiting class. Is that the absolute worst class in Nebraska history for contributing players? 2016 isn't much better. Those classes were black holes for the program.

Damion Daniels
Elijah Blades
Kurt Rafdal
Chris Walker
Tyjon Lindsey
Jaylin Bradley
Andrew Ward
Deiontae Watts
Guy Thomas
Ben Miles
Broc Bando
Matt Sichterman
Deontre Thomas
Avery Roberts
Brenden Jaimes
Austin Allen
Tristan Gebbia
Keyshawn Johnson Jr.
Jaevon McQuitty
Willie Hampton
Not much left from 2018 either.

this was my argument I been making on how our talent level is down (or has been until our 2019 and 2020 classes join the team) and has been this past season and the season before. Those two classes of 2017 and 2018 have killed us and it’s not just those classes... now go back and look at 2016 class as well. I can’t think of another team that had so many transfers, non qualifiers and players just quit then we did there in those two-three years. These are the guys that make up our seniors, and juniors. Hopefully we don’t have anymore classes like that.

Last edited:
Reactions: OzzyLvr
9 have left the program
6 have made the 2 deep.

Damion Daniels 2 deep Nebraska
Elijah Blades- Transfer Texas AM
X
Kurt Rafdal 3 deep Nebraska
Chris Walker Not on 3 deep Nebraska
Tyjon Lindsey Transferred Oregon St
X
Jaylin BradleyNot on 3 deep Nebraska
Andrew Ward Transferred Central Michigan
X
Deiontae Watts Not on 3 deep Nebraska
Guy Thomas Transferred Colorado
X
Ben Miles Transferred Kansas X
Broc Bando 2 deep Nebraska
Matt Sichterman 2 deep Nebraska
Deontre Thomas 2 deep Nebraska
Avery Roberts Transferred Oregon St
X
Brenden Jaimes Starter Nebraska
Austin Allen 2 deep Nebraska
Tristan Gebbia Transferred Oregon St
X
Keyshawn Johnson Jr. Transferred Arizona X
Jaevon McQuitty 2 deep Nebraska
Willie Hampton Transferred Garden City CC X

Last edited:
9 have left the program
6 have made the 2 deep.

X
X
X
X
X
Brenden Jaimes injured Nebraska
X

dead on, expect B. Jaimes is going to be a 4 year starter in 2020 season (he has been a starter since he was a true freshman).

https://www.huskermax.com/wp-conten...BYMHFDeHNBaEVFWDVKNFFYUFE2eDF2SGhzTW1YTVAwVTg.

Last edited:
C1X3R47VIAA29Jt.jpg

Reactions: PeliniTheCrutch
9 have left the program
6 have made the 2 deep.

X
X
X
X
X
X
Of those six, you needed six starters, not two. You get six a class, ,in four years, you have a team of 24 players.
Two deep is only good if they're actually contributing, that means winning at the position, when they play, not really just how much.

Our winners as seen by the Big is six on average since 2014.
Thats how many we got out of 150 guys from 14 teams, six.
No, for those who didn't sign up for math, that is nowheres near average, just a little above half of average.
Six guys, mostly honorable mentions on the All Big Ten teams this year, last year, averaging six since 2014

Having those 40 freshmen and redshirt freshmen is a result of everyone leaving, 16 of those 40 are four stars.
It starts next year.

Reactions: scarletred
Of those six, you needed six starters, not two. You get six a class, ,in four years, you have a team of 24 players.
Two deep is only good if they're actually contributing, that means winning at the position, when they play, not really just how much.

No, for those who didn't sign up for math, that is nowheres near average, just a little above half of average.
Six guys, mostly honorable mentions on the All Big Ten teams this year, last year, averaging six since 2014

Having those 40 freshmen and redshirt freshmen is a result of everyone leaving, 16 of those 40 are four stars.
It starts next year.

2018 (Frost's first class) is actually pretty good considering short time frame he had to work with:
Starters: A Martinez, C Jurgens, M Washington (dismissed but was a starter), Caleb Tannor, Cam Taylor-Britt, Barret Pickering
Current 2 Deep: Will Honas, Mike Williams, Braxton Clark
Still on Roster: T Wildeman, K Legrone, C Rogers, D Alston, M Jones, J Woodyard, C Jones

2014 - 2017 were the classes that led to 3 straight losing seasons. Riley was a nuclear bomb to the program.

2018 (Frost's first class) is actually pretty good considering short time frame he had to work with:
Starters: A Martinez, C Jurgens, M Washington (dismissed but was a starter), Caleb Tannor, Cam Taylor-Britt, Barret Pickering
Still on Roster: T Wildeman, K Legrone, C Rogers, D Alston, M Jones, J Woodyard, C Jones

2014 - 2017 were the classes that led to 3 straight losing seasons. Riley was a nuclear bomb to the program.
True, when comparing it to what was going on before this staff. But these guys haven't had real competition yet, mostly those guys filled holes.
I'm not saying they aren't good, I'm not saying some won't play on sundays,or none will.

I'm saying, it shouldn't have been so easy to come in so young in so many spots, and, we shouldn't be after so many jucos.
This will change,as the depth gets filled. We are still way out of whack on our roster. Though it sounds good we have 40 frosh, some rs frosh some not, thats way too many.
What we need now is for some of these guys to start or two deep, but, we also need to do the last thing to balance this roster going forwards, have the guys from 2021, a few of them, to overtake the guys from this class, to spread it out.

Addressing that 2014 class, it was Bo's, it was also Bo's guys that didn't make much of an impact in the All Big Ten team,aving as low of numbers as MR had, and SF, the first two years.
The All Big team is merit based, results based, a comparative not on scores,who beat who, but who made plays, about as true a measuring stick as you'll find, though, scheme helps some players, not most.

It starts next year.
But you also have to factor in 5th year Sr and Jucos. 2017 class was bare but you really have to add all of these Jucos they added to that class in with them. Manning and jahkeem green are with the the 2017 class in time from this point forward. Mauga could end up their too. So add that doesn’t make 2017 too bad. I really think Manning and Green could end up big for us in 2020. Mauga is interesting. If he learns the defense early, he could see significant time in 20. He’s got freak abilities, his question is knowledge. But these are good enough guys to really fix the hole in that class.

I don’t see any other Jucos in the 2020 class contributing this year. Not saying I don’t like their abilities, I do. I think they will need a RS. So I don’t think they’d be considered on pair with the 17 class. More 18.

so when you stack 17, + Jucos, & 5th SR we should have enough players at that age group. We just need depth to come from younger guys. So getting them on the field is key. And I think the staff can do that

Last edited:
But you also have to factor in 5th year Sr and Jucos. 2017 class was bare but you really have to add all of these Jucos they added to that class in with them. Manning and jahkeem green are with the the 2017 class in time from this point forward. Mauga could end up their too. So add that doesn’t make 2017 too bad. I really think Manning and Green could end up big for us in 2020. Mauga is interesting. If he learns the defense early, he could see significant time in 20. He’s got freak abilities, his question is knowledge. But these are good enough guys to really fix the hole in that class.

I don’t see any other Jucos in the 2020 class contributing this year. Not saying I don’t like their abilities, I do. I think they will need a RS. So I don’t think they’d be considered on pair with the 17 class. More 18.

so when you stack 17, + Jucos, & 5th SR we should have enough players at that age group. We just need depth to come from younger guys. So getting them on the field is key. And I think the staff can do that
Great points, its how theyre spread out and when they leave. When the roster becomes balanced to the point where year classes dont make major losses or holes, short term fixes will get reduced, and high school guys coached in the system four whole years, or five, should benefit the team even more.
What you and I are pointing out is the rebuild of this team, and imo, until we see less jucos, and a true declining in numbers between classes, as attrition and injury will always have greater effects on your older classes,when that happens, thats when it would be 'normal' of a roster.
Great comments, thanks

9 have left the program
6 have made the 2 deep.

X
X
X
X
X
X
Jaimes has been a starter since he got here. Is he now injured?

Reactions: bigredhunter
Jaimes has been a starter since he got here. Is he now injured?
Yes I know he has, When I search the last depth chart. I somehow missed his name, knew he was a starter and figured he was injured again. It has been adjusted.

You might want to update your roster. Legrone is in the transfer portal before he goes to prison for rape and didn't contribute in 2019 as he was suspended from the team. J. Woodyard is also in the portal and is done an DONU. Miles Jones is now a WR for TN. Cam Jones is feeling right at home at SMU. None of the 4 are on the current roster.

The real bad parts of attrition is, in a class of 24, and you get your six starters out of that, often the better players lean more on a coach than a school as to why they're there.
This is more true proportionally in higher rated athletes at a place like Nebraska where our immediate influence, or, the 500 mile radius, is thinner in talent than other areas, so, those outside this area often come in because of the coach.
Coaching turnover affecting those higher rated kids has hurt us disproportionately, and those six guys from a given class are now lessor guys starting,less competition, even with a smaller walkon group all contributing to our decreased talent level.
Those calling for coaching change, when you know you don't have an embarrassing coach, or a ho hum hip hip coach need to bone up on reality.

Reactions: bigredhunter
a good coach will take a shitty coach's players and get better results than the shitty coach

Last edited:
Reactions: oldjar07
Our 2016 and 17 classes are undoubtedly the biggest reason for Frosts bad start. We need the massive attrition to stop, and our four star curse to end.

But 2016 wasn’t really all that’s bad. We could have 9 starters from 2016’s class in 2020. You throw in Jucos and 2017s class, and I’m looking at as many as 15 starters from 16, 17, & Jucos. Frost’s 3 classes of HS players should be able to fill in the gaps and create depth. I don’t think that’s unreasonable.

plus there are a few wild cards in 2017 class that haven’t really contributed yet but I won’t be surprised if they do in 2020. McQuitty is one I find very interesting. Bring in a new position coach and OC with different goals and all of a sudden a guy like that becomes productive. All of a sudden you don’t need to be an Offensive Guard at WR to get on the field. No more “no block no rock” mentality.

Bradley still has a chance to play too. We don’t have anything obvious behind Mills.

But 2016 wasn’t really all that’s bad. We could have 9 starters from 2016’s class in 2020. You throw in Jucos and 2017s class, and I’m looking at as many as 15 starters from 16, 17, & Jucos. Frost’s 3 classes of HS players should be able to fill in the gaps and create depth. I don’t think that’s unreasonable.

plus there are a few wild cards in 2017 class that haven’t really contributed yet but I won’t be surprised if they do in 2020. McQuitty is one I find very interesting. Bring in a new position coach and OC with different goals and all of a sudden a guy like that becomes productive. All of a sudden you don’t need to be an Offensive Guard at WR to get on the field. No more “no block no rock” mentality.

Bradley still has a chance to play too. We don’t have anything obvious behind Mills.

Only carries Jaylin Bradley will see will be in the spring game...
Not going to beat out Rahmir Johnson,Ronald Thompkins, Sevon Morrison, and Marvin Scott..

Unfortunately, being a 4yr starter for a bad team doesn't mean you area good player.
It also doesn't mean you are a bad player. Check your favorite NFL roster and look at how many professional players there are from sub-par college teams.

When Nebraska was winning big, linemen didn't sniff the field until their 4th year in the program. They actually had a chance to develop before they saw the field. Unfortunately Jaimes had to start fresh out of high school. He would have been a Redshirt Sophomore for us this past season. He's been a decent player for us so far. It makes ZERO sense to say he's not a good!

Reactions: dinglefritz
Only carries Jaylin Bradley will see will be in the spring game...
Not going to beat out Rahmir Johnson,Ronald Thompkins, Sevon Morrison, and Marvin Scott..
Ok. Good to know. Tompkins hasn’t played a full season of football since he was a sophomore in HS and Rahmir has speed but that’s about it. Excellent Speed only helps RBs in the open field. Can he get off the line? Has he developed vision and patience? Does he know how to read blocks? He never displayed this on his HS film, so why should I believe he can develop this when the stakes are higher? Rahmir HS tape isn’t very good IMO. God help us if Johnson is our #2.

Ok. Good to know. Tompkins hasn’t played a full season of football since he was a sophomore in HS and Rahmir has speed but that’s about it. Excellent Speed only helps RBs in the open field. Can he get off the line? Has he developed vision and patience? Does he know how to read blocks? He never displayed this on his HS film, so why should I believe he can develop this when the stakes are higher? Rahmir HS tape isn’t very good IMO. God help us if Johnson is our #2.

Fair enough, Rahmir did see the field last year even though it was only his 4 games to save his redshirt, Bradley never seen the field as a running back all year..

RJ looked fine in the Maryland game and one of those two freshman will also beat out Bradley...

Only 4 contributors really in that list.
Sad.

It's sad that there aren't more contributors for us. Plenty of guys in the '17 class had talent, they just play for other programs. Minimum they could have provided depth for us.

Starting for Nebraska
Brenden Jaimes

Starting for other programs:
Elijah Blades- Transfer Texas A&M (Never made it to NU)
Ben Miles Transferred Kansas
Andrew Ward Transferred Central Michigan (Recent career ending injury)
Projected Starter Tristan Gebbia Transferred Oregon St
Good shot to start Guy Thomas Transferred Colorado

Providing depth:

Still waiting to contribute
Jaylin Bradley Not on 3 deep Nebraska

Not playing ball

Deiontae Watts (No longer playing???)
Keyshawn Johnson Jr. Transferred Arizona (No longer playing)
Willie Hampton Transferred Garden City CC (Don't think he signed with anyone)

Last edited:
Reactions: HominidHusker
Fair enough, Rahmir did see the field last year even though it was only his 4 games to save his redshirt, Bradley never seen the field as a running back all year..

RJ looked fine in the Maryland game and one of those two freshman will also beat out Bradley...
Didn’t Bradley get a snap or 2 in the Maryland game?

Reactions: OzzyLvr
Yea, we know, there's NEVER any bad players, ONLY bad coaches. Batting a thousand

where did I say there were never any bad players

bad players with better coaching get better results than bad players with bad coaching

Last edited:
2020 will be the 4th year for the 2017 recruiting class. Is that the absolute worst class in Nebraska history for contributing players? 2016 isn't much better. Those classes were black holes for the program.

Damion Daniels
Elijah Blades
Kurt Rafdal
Chris Walker
Tyjon Lindsey
Jaylin Bradley
Andrew Ward
Deiontae Watts
Guy Thomas
Ben Miles
Broc Bando
Matt Sichterman
Deontre Thomas
Avery Roberts
Brenden Jaimes
Austin Allen
Tristan Gebbia
Keyshawn Johnson Jr.
Jaevon McQuitty
Willie Hampton
Huh 2916 although not a full of a lot of stars ,was the best in like 10 years look at Pelini 2011 class it rivals that 2017 class. The 2916 had 13 athletes that started here or played extensively else where ,like Derriion Cherry Grim and O’Brien. Bryant would of been a all Confrence back minus his injury L Jackson all Big10 Dismuke and Bootle Matt Farniok Wilson both NFL capable OGs JO JO Spielman NU record breaking WO C Miller Ben Stille Jack Stole all starters Simmons and Butler both would of contributed as 2nd string under Riley or Bo. Butler , should of stayed at Safety , In the 2017 Guy Thomas 17 should of started Frosts Dog house.?? Also in the 2017 Lindsey was a starter, and McQuitty And Bradley all would put up some solid numbers under under Both and Riley and Bos system. Riley 2017 was bad yet . Bo had a whole string of questionable classes. We’ve been digging our grave for decades now pal let’s not kid ourselves It goes all the way back too Solch too.

ADVERTISEMENT