ADVERTISEMENT

***2017 In State Recruiting Thread***

northeastNebraska

Nebraska Football Hall of Fame
Jan 8, 2008
Highway 30
This fall our great state will have one of the best classes of instate talent in recent memory. Multiple players this spring already have received FBS and FCS offers.

I personally think Brett Kitrell is the best prospect in the state this year. Legit 6'4, 280. Already had an offer from Minnesota. I can bet Nebraska will offer him this June after he comes for camp. They just want to see him move around after his injury.

So I figured lets get this thread started. Who are your favorite players this year in all classes? Who will be playing at the FBS or FCS level? I'll add who has committed as the recruiting process continues.

Last edited:
25061095211_1D576B15D7_O.JPG

Logan Strom, Norfolk High:TE/OL, 6-8, 240.

Rivals Profile: https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/maple/184574

Offers: Buffalo, Cincinnati, Wyoming, Illinois State, UNI, South Dakota, South Dakota State.

I'm a big Kitrell fan as he is a legacy, and has faced adversity but never complained in public about it, all he did was rehab, work harder and get better. Great family, great kid. He will get a Nebraska offer.

I'm a big Kitrell fan as he is a legacy, and has faced adversity but never complained in public about it, all he did was rehab, work harder and get better. Great family, great kid. He will get a Nebraska offer.
I agree. He has a great family, and hope to see him in Lincoln in 2017 and beyond.

Here are five that I would not mind getting offers. I think they all could be playmakers at Nebraska.

Austin Allen (already a Husker commit.)
Brett Kitrell
Patrick Arnold
Jack Begley
Noah Vedral

I think Arnold and Kittrell get offers (Ciurej too). Vedral, I'm not sure he would choose us when he can get full ride QB snaps elsewhere, he would probably be a candidate for a position change here.

Begley would normally be a good offer, but S/DB is an area where we have some of the top talent in the nation looking at us seriously, so I would have to think he'll be an absolute last minute offer if someone backs out on us and/or cools on us. Like Engelhaupt last year stepping in.

Wait... aren't they just supposed to take a walk-on? Isn't that how this all works? Or is bitching about the walkon program not a thing now since it is alive and healthy?

Wait... aren't they just supposed to take a walk-on? Isn't that how this all works? Or is bitching about the walkon program not a thing now since it is alive and healthy?
What does this even mean? Do you ever post anything of substance that isn't a snide jackass remark? Another quality discussion has to take a break so you can be a child

What does this even mean? Do you ever post anything of substance that isn't a snide jackass remark? Another quality discussion has to take a break so you can be a child
Jesus dude. Put down the bottle. It was sarcasm. 15 years ago these guys would have taken a walk-on. Now it is hard to pass up a scholly with the costs of college.
I can see you are very upset. Much have touched a nerve.

I never understood why traditionally Nebraska made a local kid walk on, to preserve the scholarship for an out of state player when the local player was clearly a high quality athlete. That is some backwards messed up stuff right there.

I think Arnold and Kittrell get offers (Ciurej too). Vedral, I'm not sure he would choose us when he can get full ride QB snaps elsewhere, he would probably be a candidate for a position change here.

Begley would normally be a good offer, but S/DB is an area where we have some of the top talent in the nation looking at us seriously, so I would have to think he'll be an absolute last minute offer if someone backs out on us and/or cools on us. Like Engelhaupt last year stepping in.
Begley is just such a stud and has good size. I just don't want him to turn into a Jeff Tarpinian at Iowa. He would have been nice to have in the late 2000's.

Vedral is such a game changer, I know it's at the C1 level but he's a legacy kid and works at his craft everyday from what I've heard. If we take a second QB I wouldn't be upset if it were him.

I personally thought Engelhaupt deserved an offer earlier last year. Kid will be a playmaker at Nebraska IMO.

Last edited:
Reactions: Husker69
I never understood why traditionally Nebraska made a local kid walk on, to preserve the scholarship for an out of state player when the local player was clearly a high quality athlete. That is some backwards messed up stuff right there.
It all just depends on the situation but yes under Pelini's staff he would take mediocre talent from Ohio/Louisana when you could have gotten a kid from Nebraska with the same talent level, but more drive.

I don't feel like I'm this day for college football with the success of the Dakota schools you can slow play the best kids in Nebraska. I don't think many would be mad if Patrick Arnold got an offer this summer. You need to lock up what you have at home. It's never going to be more than 3-4 recruits from Nebraska, (sometimes 5 on a great year like 2017.)

Conclusions from this thread:
Nebraska kids work harder than kids from other states
Being a legacy connection makes one worthy
Nebraska kids have regularly been overlooked the past few years
More Nebraska kids deserve scholarships than are getting them

We have a conflict of opinions if we laud the recruiting of this staff but criticise if they do not offer a local kid. Fans also look at the national recruiting numbers and want to keep those high as near I can tell. I trust the coaches will properly evaluate the talent available so I dont feel compelled to say "I think joe blow deserves a scholarship just because he is big, strong, a legacy or some other factor."

Dude. You need to stop talking ill of Tom Osborne.

Reactions: Bill_Callahan2.0
Conclusions from this thread:
Nebraska kids work harder than kids from other states
Being a legacy connection makes one worthy
Nebraska kids have regularly been overlooked the past few years
More Nebraska kids deserve scholarships than are getting them

We have a conflict of opinions if we laud the recruiting of this staff but criticise if they do not offer a local kid. Fans also look at the national recruiting numbers and want to keep those high as near I can tell. I trust the coaches will properly evaluate the talent available so I dont feel compelled to say "I think joe blow deserves a scholarship just because he is big, strong, a legacy or some other factor."

+1

lets see how the year plays out

a local kid shouldn't get a bump simply because he is in state ... however, all things being equal, ie staff evaluates an instate and out of state recruit as being equal the tie should be in favor of the local kid (which I believe will be the case)

fact of the matter is that as of now the offer lists of the these recruits have a preponderance of Dakota schools and a paucity of power 5 schools ... that may change after summer camps and updated evals .... lets see what the coaches think after seeing them at camp

'17 is one of the deepest classes we've seen come out of NU and I agree there are between 5-7 kids that are NU scholarship worthy.

With that said, '18 may be a more talented class.

Also, with schools like UCLA sniffing at kids and the Minn, UCFs of the world offering NU kids, it only expands the recruiting process for these kids, which is a good thing for them; more opportunities.

A walk-on can go on to be really good, like Janovich or that LB at Penn St. A walk-on can also go on to be just another guy buried on the depth chart. We can't just look at the walk-on successes.

Let the coaches evaluate, offer, and land recruits where they see the greatest chance of success.

Reactions: northeastNebraska
It all just depends on the situation but yes under Pelini's staff he would take mediocre talent from Ohio/Louisana when you could have gotten a kid from Nebraska with the same talent level, but more drive.

I don't feel like I'm this day for college football with the success of the Dakota schools you can slow play the best kids in Nebraska. I don't think many would be mad if Patrick Arnold got an offer this summer. You need to lock up what you have at home. It's never going to be more than 3-4 recruits from Nebraska, (sometimes 5 on a great year like 2017.)
There is some truth to that. With the parity in college sports as a whole, there is more competition from smaller institutions, and likewise, there can be more opportunity for players because of that as well. It really is setup nicely for the student athlete, as you can go to any of a number of places and find success both on the field and in the classroom.

I'm not sure how our current coach handles the in-state recruiting, but my initial take is that it's more fair than the prior administration. I may not be filled with the irrational exuberance of some on this board, but I'm generally positive of the direction recruiting is going, but they need to keep the foot on the gas pedal.

ADVERTISEMENT