ADVERTISEMENT

2017 Huskers

PSU, Wisconsin and NW are the only teams with a returning QB. Of the remaining teams, Nebraska should have the QB advantage if Tanner lives up to his hype. tOSU will be able to make up for the QB inexperience will superior over all talent. I think we stack up talent wise pretty well against the rest with exception of PSU. It all boils down to how these guys are mentally. I don't want to overstate the Same Foltz factor. Outstanding individual. Obviously a great leader and friend of the team. I do think the season long tributes may have been a distraction especially the last couple of weeks.

JT Barrett is just a junior...That team will be scary good next year.

QB: ?? - are the Lee rumors true? Could be a + or a -
RB: A wash. Newby had a good season, but certainly would have had fewer carries had Ziggy stayed healthy. We return two guys that can play and Wilbon might benefit from a throwing QB.
OL: + We return four starters and another who got significant snaps. There should be young depth.
WR: - Lose Zo, Westy and Reilly. Does DPE step up? Does Stan become "the man"? Are a couple of the young guys we have yet to see ready to play? However, if the Lee rumors are true, the balls should be there to catch.
TE: - Milk carton

DL: +/wash Davis twins plus Mick. Freedom with another year. Can we find another DE that can play.
LB: - Lose MRI&Bando. We know Newby, Young and Weber can play. Who else steps up?
CB: +
S: wash We lose Nate, but we return Reed plus the non-brothers Williams.

There is a chance to be better, perhaps much better. It depends, IMO, on the play of Tanner Lee. If he is actually the real deal, we will be able to see what a Riley/Langs offense can really do.

Reactions: DudznSudz
Penn St, Ohio St, Wiskey, Iowa possibly Minn or NW
So you're saying we lose all games that are in the toss up category and win the games we will be clear favorites in? If that is the case in the 3rd year we need a new staff total replacement. Honestly the seer negativity spewed on this board is getting more and more disgusting every month no wonder so many good insightful posters have moved on to TOS

QB: + We were lucky to have Tommy and that he decided to really shoulder the burdens he did and step up, but the fact is we now have TWO quarterbacks who are much more along the lines of what our coaches want to utilize. Tommy had a lot of raw talent, but he never developed into an actual field general, more of a leader by example. I am excited to see what Lee and O'Brien bring, because I think we're about to take a big step forward on offense.

RB: = (Wash) We lose Newby, who turned out to be pretty darn good in his final season, but we have three waiting in the wings who are good to great. We'll be fine here.

OL: + Big step up; we have a lot of guys who have experience now, plus four young highly rated recruits from last year who can start playing. I say the O-line gets significantly better.

WR: = (Wash) We lose some great starters in Westy and Reilly, but we've been recruiting pretty well here and I think we'll be just as good, but with a better passing QB a lot more productive.

TE: - This is, sadly, a position that is going to take a step back this next year. I just don't know that we have any great TE's ready to play?

DL: + I expect the D line to take a HUGE step forward next year. We do need a second starting D-end (DaiShon Neal? Sedrick King? Hello?), but we have a lot of experience starting to build up here. My only question would be depth...I don't see a ton of options after the starters? Are we going after some freshmen who can play immediately?

LB: - This may be a slight step back, but we seem to have been recruiting LB's pretty well over the last couple of years, and they seem to be fairly well coached. Banderas had a great senior year, which is the only reason why I say this may be a slight step back.

CB: + A deep secondary continues to improve with experience.

S: = (Wash) We lose Gerry, a hell of a starter, but the position is actually fairly deep right now. I say we don't lose much here.

TE: - This is, sadly, a position that is going to take a step back this next year. I just don't know that we have any great TE's ready to play?

I seem to remember someone on here saying that Hoppes has been looking very good.

So you're saying we lose all games that are in the toss up category and win the games we will be clear favorites in? If that is the case in the 3rd year we need a new staff total replacement. Honestly the seer negativity spewed on this board is getting more and more disgusting every month no wonder so many good insightful posters have moved on to TOS
its a point of conversation, nothing more. you're welcome to rebut any and all thoughts on the huskers.

A pocket passer behind the current OL is a scary thought. Hopefully they will be much better next year.

QB throwing should improve - how much the lack of QB run game hurts is not known. Oline has to get better - especially at tackle - getting to "average" would be a success. WR/TE - possible 1 or more frosh to play immediately - so big unknown.

DL - uptick if we improve at DE - big if. Safety is better than average now, as is CB. I expect some bumps early but improvement over a year. LB.....hard to say it will improve right now.

Schedule lines up for 8-4 or 9-3 IMHO. If QB play is outstanding - better than that.

Just for conversations sake, looking ahead to next years huskers:
QB - unknown (maybe better)
RB - about the same, average
OL - plug and play some RS freshman about the same, average
WR - Morgan, Pierson El and (insert freshman) about the same.
TE - ?

Prediction - will struggle early

DL - maybe slightly better with year under JP
LB - About the same
CB - should be better with experience & an older Jackson
S - About the same, less than average

Prediction - maybe slightly better, real average and not a lot of depth.

Special teams - better

8-4 or 7-5

Bash away

Reactions: DudznSudz
Yeah, I would think next year we'll be 9-3 or 10-2. We get Wisconsin and Ohio State at home, and while we'll never beat Ohio State, Wisconsin could be very beatable. I think we'll beat Iowa, too. I see Ohio State and Penn State as our most likely potential losses, other than that I will have to wait and see who we recruit and what the team builds up as over the Spring and Summer months.

Reactions: cornhustler
A pocket passer behind the current OL is a scary thought. Hopefully they will be much better next year.

Not sure I would go that far. The pass pro is either designed for roll out or drop back. When the QB drops back, the OLine can't see him spin and run toward the sidelines and improvise instead of stepping up in the pocket and delivering the pass. Some of those failed protections are on the QB. A traditional QB is going to handle it differently. A traditional QB is going to be more comfortable with check downs and hot receivers. The game plan will be much different. QBs will throw on time and not late or off their back foot.

As I said originally. Far too soon to know how it will actually look in a game and basing future performance on what happened this past year is probably not relevant

Reactions: Mr.Scary13
Not sure I would go that far. The pass pro is either designed for roll out or drop back. When the QB drops back, the OLine can't see him spin and run toward the sidelines and improvise instead of stepping up in the pocket and delivering the pass. Some of those failed protections are on the QB. A traditional QB is going to handle it differently. A traditional QB is going to be more comfortable with check downs and hot receivers. The game plan will be much different. QBs will throw on time and not late or off their back foot.

As I said originally. Far too soon to know how it will actually look in a game and basing future performance on what happened this past year is probably not relevant

You assume people are going to be open.....our receivers didn't not consistently get open......good defenses take away your first option. If the line can't block long enough for the 2nd option they can't just stand their and take a sack...there is a reason our sack totals where low. It wasn't great protection.

Im sure we will have a better passes...but better defenses will force our QB to be a playmaker, hopefully he has the arm talent to make plays, not just hip wide open receivers.

Just for conversations sake, looking ahead to next years huskers:
QB - unknown (maybe better)
RB - about the same, average
OL - plug and play some RS freshman about the same, average
WR - Morgan, Pierson El and (insert freshman) about the same.
TE - ?

Prediction - will struggle early

DL - maybe slightly better with year under JP
LB - About the same
CB - should be better with experience & an older Jackson
S - About the same, less than average

Prediction - maybe slightly better, real average and not a lot of depth.

Special teams - better

8-4 or 7-5

Bash away
Nate Gerry = Less than Average? You have rediculous standards

I'll say:

QB - Upgrade over a career completion % in the high 50s. The offense will move away from QB run and moving pocket. They won't try to square peg Lee like that.

RB - Downgrade at first. Never thought I'd say we'll miss Newby but we will, he's a totally different back and an asset right now. Bryant is gonna be legit, the question is when and whether Wilbon ever gets it together. Also, where was D.O. for so long? Because I don't think "injured" is the complete answer...

WR - Lots of talent but how much experience? Losing Westy hurts, period. Stanley is a man-child and he has really been coming on the last half of the season.

TE - Downgrade but when we suddenly start throwing to our TEs it's going to feel like an upgrade. Carter was so under-utilized by Tommy it's a crime. Depth is a worry here.

OL - Upgrade assuming the younger guys make progress like they should.

DL - Downgrade. I'm not a "Dzuris guy" but he started and he put up pretty good numbers. That nobody could take his job tells you a lot. Losing Maurice is rough. He played well and the lack of DTs in the last class will be a killer if they get a couple guys hurt on the inside.

LB - Just don't know. Bando played well this year, I wasn't dazzled with anyone else. Some lightbulbs need to come on in that LB room. They have talented kids but we need to see it on the field.

CB - Upgrade. Bringing back good play with another year.

S - Tough to replace how Gerry played this year, but you have to like the breakouts from A. Williams and K. Williams. Have I said don't sleep on Jojo Domann lately? Don't sleep on him. Being football smart sure makes you look about 2 steps faster.

Reactions: HBK4life
I laugh at people who think they can predict wins or losses a year beforehand. Seems like what we have here is somebody who is bursting at the seems and just can't wait to tell everybody that we are going to have a disappointing season next year. I mean, why wait until the summer to spread your negativity when you can do it now? Such fun.

I know people would like to think the can predict wins and losses, but I do think a pretty good indicator is what Vegas puts the line at. In looking at next years schedule, I see Nebraska probably being a underdog in 3 games in the futures lines. Oregon, Ohio St. and Penn State, with Wisconsin, Minnesota and probably Iowa being a 3 point line either way, but to start I would guess Nebraska would be favored in those. Probably Wisky and Iowa a 3 point Nebraska favorite, with those three points coming from the game being in Lincoln.
This year Nebraska was an underdog in 3 games and the lost all three, and they are an underdog in the bowl. In 2015 Nebraska was and underdog in 5 games, including the bowl going 2-3 straight up in those games. Conversely they lost 5 straight up in 15 as a favorite and didn't lose a game in 16 as the favorite.
Predictions are just hot air, but with the amount of money on the line in Vegas on games I would trust them over any fan or CFB analyst.

Reactions: TheBeav815
You assume people are going to be open.....our receivers didn't not consistently get open......good defenses take away your first option. If the line can't block long enough for the 2nd option they can't just stand their and take a sack...there is a reason our sack totals where low. It wasn't great protection.

Im sure we will have a better passes...but better defenses will force our QB to be a playmaker, hopefully he has the arm talent to make plays, not just hip wide open receivers.

I have photos of our WR running wide open and check down receivers being wide open.

#4 does some nice things with his legs and prevented some sacks. But he also locked in on his first read and ran too quickly just as often.

I get you are a fan of #4, I am too, but unfortunately he isn't the type of QB that this offense needs to be successful.

When coaches temporarily adjust their offense to fit the skills of one player, it creates enormous problems for the future. In This case your offensive line technique, especially in pass pro, is not designed to account for a QB to scramble side to side. So do you teach 16-18 guys one way for the current QB, then start over the spring after he leaves? Or do you try to teach 1 guy to adapt and let the other 16-18 learn the way of the future. I don't know the answer, I just know that many times our QB would rather run outside to avoid a sack and pick up 2 yards than he would step up in the pocket and throw a ball to an open or about to be open receiver.

Your posts also indicate that you are a believer in the running QB. Great. I am too but only in an offense designed for a running QB. Many fans who are proponents of a running QB often confused anything else as a statue. That is a mistake in my opinion.

Point being there are many Offensive schemes that when run with appropriate personnel are very effective.

Sort of like a cocktail. If Vodka is the scheme, orange juice works a whole lot better as the QB than vitamin D milk does. Doesn't mean vitamin D milk is bad, it just doesn't work well with Vodka.

+Offense
(Gained experience on the OL and hopefully an upgrade in passing game)

=/+QB - Lee, POB, Gebbia
(Better accuracy?/reading defenses/check down, worse runner/escaping the rush)

=
RB – Bryant/Wilbon/Ozigbo
(Gain experience as all 3 played decent number of snaps)

=
WR – DPE, Morgan, Reimers, Spielman, Alston, McQuitty, Johnson Jr.
(Lose 3 good players, return 3 with great experience, the rest are unexperienced but have talent and speed)

-
TE – Hoppes, Ketter, Snyder, Stoll
(2016 was very senior heavy in playing time, little to no experience returning)

+
OT – Gates, Farniok, Conrad, Knevel
(Gain experience)

+
OG/C – Foster, Farmer, Wilson, Barnett, Decker, Raridon
(Gain experience and RFr talent [I hope])

+
Defense
(Good returning experience in the back 7, need some sort of a pass rush)

=DT – C. Davis, Stoltenburg, K. Davis
(good experience returning, but no proven depth)

=
DE – Akinmoladun, Davis, Neal, Natter, Miller
(Hard to say we get worse, hopefully the youngins step up)

=
LB – Newby, Young, Weber, Gifford, Barry, Ferguson, Alexander, Jefferson, Simmons, Roberts
(Lose experience, but Top 4 returning have experience, a lot of young guys have talent and hopefully speed but no experience)

+
CB – Kalu, Jones, Jackson, Lee Jr, Joseph, Bootle
(Return good experience and talent)

=/+
S – Williams, Williams, Reed, Domann, Anderson, Dismuke, Butler
(Gerry can't just be replaced, but the talent is still good going forwards)

I have photos of our WR running wide open and check down receivers being wide open.

#4 does some nice things with his legs and prevented some sacks. But he also locked in on his first read and ran too quickly just as often.

I get you are a fan of #4, I am too, but unfortunately he isn't the type of QB that this offense needs to be successful.

When coaches temporarily adjust their offense to fit the skills of one player, it creates enormous problems for the future. In This case your offensive line technique, especially in pass pro, is not designed to account for a QB to scramble side to side. So do you teach 16-18 guys one way for the current QB, then start over the spring after he leaves? Or do you try to teach 1 guy to adapt and let the other 16-18 learn the way of the future. I don't know the answer, I just know that many times our QB would rather run outside to avoid a sack and pick up 2 yards than he would step up in the pocket and throw a ball to an open or about to be open receiver.

Your posts also indicate that you are a believer in the running QB. Great. I am too but only in an offense designed for a running QB. Many fans who are proponents of a running QB often confused anything else as a statue. That is a mistake in my opinion.

Point being there are many Offensive schemes that when run with appropriate personnel are very effective.

Sort of like a cocktail. If Vodka is the scheme, orange juice works a whole lot better as the QB than vitamin D milk does. Doesn't mean vitamin D milk is bad, it just doesn't work well with Vodka.

Well said.

Yah there's a whole ton of folks that don't think Langsdorf can find his way out of the bathroom because TA throws the alert route, basically no matter what.

Yah there's a whole ton of folks that don't think Langsdorf can find his way out of the bathroom because TA throws the alert route, basically no matter what.

I actually like Langs quite a bit.

I do not know the offensive philosophies in-depth and fully understand every position's job on each play to know for certain if a play has check downs and TA missed them, but from what I have read on here, it seems like much of the talk is about TA's inabilities and not a knock on Langs ability to teach him (although as I type this I am thinking maybe it should be some of Langs fault for not getting TA to run the offense correctly).

It has been documented that Langs and Riley had little expertise in the QB run-game but went out and learned about it. Kudos to them.

From what I have gathered on here, it seems like TA doesn't have the mental capacity to understand the passing game like some other QBs.

He may be able to understand where the check downs are when Langs is teaching him, but just isn't able to actually do it when the bullets are flying.

Who knows, but that could be 100% due to the lack of time given from the OL and not TAs fault or Langs fault that TA just can't get comfortable in the pocket.

I actually like Langs quite a bit.

I do not know the offensive philosophies in-depth and fully understand every position's job on each play to know for certain if a play has check downs and TA missed them, but from what I have read on here, it seems like much of the talk is about TA's inabilities and not a knock on Langs ability to teach him (although as I type this I am thinking maybe it should be some of Langs fault for not getting TA to run the offense correctly).

It has been documented that Langs and Riley had little expertise in the QB run-game but went out and learned about it. Kudos to them.

From what I have gathered on here, it seems like TA doesn't have the mental capacity to understand the passing game like some other QBs.

He may be able to understand where the check downs are when Langs is teaching him, but just isn't able to actually do it when the bullets are flying.

Who knows, but that could be 100% due to the lack of time given from the OL and not TAs fault or Langs fault that TA just can't get comfortable in the pocket.

It would be interesting to be a fly in the film room. We've had an inordinate amount of "underneath WR's open, TA throws the YOLO to Reilly 30 yards downfield" or "TA finally throws a good ball to the 2nd option, but the WR's didn't see it or ran the wrong route adjustment", a number of situations which has greatly hurt our offensive consistency.

I'm hoping if Lee can fix anything, its that.

Reactions: TwinsRRUs

But it does work well with vodka if you have kahlua. Check mate.

Are you RedRover? This team may very well be improved in all areas but so will the teams we will be playing.

Are you RedCap? A Bobot? Not realistic that every team, even in conference, that we will be improving next year in all areas. And no team in the west is going to be able to match our 2015-17 recruiting classes. Same can be said regarding the quality of our coaching vs. those teams, save for perhaps Wiscy.

"DE – Akinmoladun, Davis, Neal, Natter, Miller"

I really like, on paper, this line up. Natter is really my only concern athletically. Can the other four play well enough to have an impact? Other than of TE, this is my biggest position group of concern. TE can be productive I think, DE's have to step it up.

"DE – Akinmoladun, Davis, Neal, Natter, Miller"

I really like, on paper, this line up. Natter is really my only concern athletically. Can the other four play well enough to have an impact? Other than of TE, this is my biggest position group of concern. TE can be productive I think, DE's have to step it up.

There is definitely some talent with the last two recruiting cycles, though they are not battle tested.

I just hope they are ready to step up and the coaches can help keep them from having too many mistakes that can be a turning point in a game.

Very few coaches have the ability to bench a player selected captain

Say what? That is an astounding yet baseless claim. Every head coach has the ability to bench any roster player at any time.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT