ADVERTISEMENT

2016 the year to beat tOSU in Columbus.

Status
Not open for further replies.

NUSouth

Senior
Oct 25, 2009
We are not going to get a better chance to beat tOSU on their own field than this year. Losing 16 players to the nfl has got to put a major dent in their talent level. Combine that with our 5th year senior QB and proven talent everywhere except D line and I like our chances in Columbus this year.

Reactions: Shooter2268
11-1 or 10-2 with a rematch with Ohio State in the title game... that's the game Riley works his magic and gets Nebraska our B1G Title!

They will reload. Their last 4 recruiting classes have been rated 3rd, 9th, 3rd, and 2nd. They also have JT Barrett back. As long as Urban doesn't let Beck call plays, they'll be tough to beat.

Reactions: AndyHanline
I think this season really hinges on the Oregon game. A win that night will generate a ton of confidence. Also if our young D line stays healthy it's going to be tough for any Big Ten team to beat us this year, including Ohio State.

Reactions: Phantom Husker
A healthy D line and a smart TA could make it an exciting year.
Our athleticism on the D line will allow us to play fast and aggressive in a simplified way. Parrella and Banker will let our back seven's growing pains last year help our front four grow and learn this year.

Our athleticism on the D line will allow us to play fast and aggressive in a simplified way. Parrella and Banker will let our back seven's growing pains last year help our front four grow and learn this year.
We are going to have a lot of growing pains on our d-line this year. You are in for a rude awakening if you think there won't be struggles upfront. With the type of defense we play, if our d-line isn't stopping the run and getting pressure on the qb our defensive backs are going to be in trouble. We better try to to control the ball on offense to help our defense.

Reactions: newAD
We are going to have a lot of growing pains on our d-line this year. You are in for a rude awakening if you think there won't be struggles upfront. With the type of defense we play, if our d-line isn't stopping the run and getting pressure on the qb our defensive backs are going to be in trouble. We better try to to control the ball on offense to help our defense.
I've been posting that sentiment for a few months now. Ozigbo and a Tommy that plays within himself is exactly what the D-line needs.

I've been posting that sentiment for a few months now. Ozigbo and a Tommy that plays within himself is exactly what the D-line needs.
I agree. I just don't see the defense being very good especially early on. The offense has the potential to be pretty good. Once again, turnovers and offensive game planning will be the big keys.

The big difference will be the team unity in winning games this year. It will be eye opening how that aspect will change how we play this year.

Reactions: jeans15

Agreed. I'm just hoping for 7-5 right now. Anything more is gravy.

Last year we had a lot of fans who failed to realize how much of a struggle it would be for the secondary in this new scheme. I'm afraid people are going to make the same mistake with the potential D-Line struggles this year. I don't care what program it is, you can't lose your 4 top DTs when all 4 had eligibility remaining, and not feel it.

Reactions: NikkiSixx
Oh come on now.......I guarantee you we will put more pressure on the quarterback than we did last year. Defensive end play will be much better. Might struggle early in the year against the run but will improve significantly by conference play.

Agreed. I'm just hoping for 7-5 right now. Anything more is gravy.

Last year we had a lot of fans who failed to realize how much of a struggle it would be for the secondary in this new scheme. I'm afraid people are going to make the same mistake with the potential D-Line struggles this year. I don't care what program it is, you can't lose your 4 top DTs when all 4 had eligibility remaining, and not feel it.
I was at the Northwestern game and watched a team play with no fire and passion yet had a chance to still win it late. It was something I've never seen before in person. Even with all the mistakes it was this thing that Riley talked about with Sam that ultimately doomed us that day.

I'm going to take a wait and see attitude toward our defensive line till after we play Oregon and Northwestern we will know a lot more after that.

So they werent going to play that way before? Say what you want with the rose colored glasses but without a solid front four, there is additional pressure on the back seven and frankly our back seven has previously not shown the ability to control the game.

So they werent going to play that way before? Say what you want with the rose colored glasses but without a solid front four, there is additional pressure on the back seven and frankly our back seven has previously not shown the ability to control the game.
Riley has said the back four will need to help take the pressure of the D-line.

The front four will probably struggle at first, but they will probably find it easier to develop as the season progresses than the secondary did last year. However much they struggle in the first few games, they'll be significantly better by the time they play the Buckeyes. That said, as long as Urban is coaching there, that's going to be a really hard game to win. We'll have a better chance when our talent reaches a comparable level. I think we have good talent, but top to bottom Ohio State has as much or more than anyone in the country.

Riley has said the back four will need to help take the pressure of the D-line.
The defensive coaches better get more creative to help the secondary. It would be nice to see them disguise some of our looks. It didn't seem like we did much of it last year. Our corners will have a hard time holding up man to man without some good pass rush.

Do you remember our 1983 defense? That same defense was the #1 defense in 1984. Players learn and grow!

Reactions: dckchusker
The front four will probably struggle at first, but they will probably find it easier to develop as the season progresses than the secondary did last year. However much they struggle in the first few games, they'll be significantly better by the time they play the Buckeyes. That said, as long as Urban is coaching there, that's going to be a really hard game to win. We'll have a better chance when our talent reaches a comparable level. I think we have good talent, but top to bottom Ohio State has as much or more than anyone in the country.
Superior talent does not always win. And as I said last year Urban is crapping his pants to face a Riley lead Cornhusker team for the title

Superior talent does not always win. And as I said last year Urban is crapping his pants to face a Riley lead Cornhusker team for the title
I am guessing Urban is much more worried about MSU and Michigan. Nebraska is an after thought at this point.

Reactions: ellobo

Look, I like Riley a lot. I think he knows football about as well as any coach in the country. But Urban Meyer is not outclassed by anyone. I think that with comparable talent Riley and staff could hold their own against the Buckeyes, winning some and losing some, but Urban is a hell of a coach.

I can feel it in my bones about Riley
Look, I like Riley a lot. I think he knows football about as well as any coach in the country. But Urban Meyer is not outclassed by anyone. I think that with comparable talent Riley and staff could hold their own against the Buckeyes, winning some and losing some, but Urban is a hell of a coach.
Riley is a hell of a coach. When are people gonna finally get the memo??? Why do you think assistant coaches from Ohio State are absolutely losing their minds about our recruiting??? They see this monster to the West waking up and crashing their party!

I can feel it in my bones about Riley

Riley is a hell of a coach. When are people gonna finally get the memo??? Why do you think assistant coaches from Ohio State are absolutely losing their minds about our recruiting??? They see this monster to the West waking up and crashing their party!

I also like Riley as a coach. But I think you are seriously mistaken about Urban. There's a reason it's a big deal nationally when a team he coaches loses a game; that's because it happens so rarely. The only coach who has shown a knack for beating him with lesser talent (and it's too small of a sample size to say so definitively) is Dantonio. Give Riley a couple more recruiting classes and a QB who fits his system and I'll feel a lot better about matching up with the Buckeyes.

Reactions: blackbones
But red rover can feel it in his bones!!!
You can't write this shit Laughing
To answer your question rover, people are going to get the memo when Riley proves that he is a good coach. He will and it may happen this year. He hasn't yet, and just went 6-7. Not everyone's bones are as...sensitive as yours.

But red rover can feel it in his bones!!!
You can't write this shit Laughing
To answer your question rover, people are going to get the memo when Riley proves that he is a good coach. He will and it may happen this year. He hasn't yet, and just went 6-7. Not everyone's bones are as...sensitive as yours.
So Riley needs to prove he's a good head coach to which people??? That has to be one of the most ludicrous statements I've ever heard.

So Riley needs to prove he's a good head coach to which people??? That has to be one of the most ludicrous statements I've ever heard.
Are you trolling? Riley just won 6 games last year. Urban has improved his teams everywhere he has went in year one. Riley failed to do so last year. In game coaching alone cost us three games. It's laughable to think Riley is a comparable or better coach than Urban right now. Riley has a lot to prove. Recruiting is a very good start, but he better win more than 6 games. Anything less than 8 wins this year would be a failure.

Hyperbolic are we? You asked when people would get the memo...I told you. Perhaps I should have said "when you tell them again red rover..one more time tell them again"...would that would have been less ludicrous?

Normally I would ask if you are really serious but I think you are or you are just being over the top to get a reaction. I have a lot of respect for Riley and I want him to be the most successful coach in Nebraska history but he has not even come close to earning any accolades aside from keeping a team together long enough to win 6 games his first year and get the second year of recruiting off to a good start. When he earns his praise for winning consistently, he will get it, but to crown him King this early seems a bit premature.

Wow Urban is crapping his pants afraid of Nebraska.
It is getting deep in here! LMAO

Normally I would ask if you are really serious but I think you are or you are just being over the top to get a reaction. I have a lot of respect for Riley and I want him to be the most successful coach in Nebraska history but he has not even come close to earning any accolades aside from keeping a team together long enough to win 6 games his first year and get the second year of recruiting off to a good start. When he earns his praise for winning consistently, he will get it, but to crown him King this early seems a bit premature.
Yet here we sit with TWO top pro style quarterbacks and multiple top NFL style receivers either here or committed. I saw this coming last year and people scoffed.

Yet here we sit with TWO top pro style quarterbacks and multiple top NFL style receivers either here or committed. I saw this coming last year and people scoffed.

If that is your standard then Cally must hace been your hero. Games are won on the field, not on paper and emotions based. If you are hanging uour hat on recent recruitng then we are a couple years away from them hitting the pipeline. It is all about wins.

If that is your standard then Cally must hace been your hero. Games are won on the field, not on paper and emotions based. If you are hanging uour hat on recent recruitng then we are a couple years away from them hitting the pipeline. It is all about wins.
Why can our recruits understand the complete and utter dumpster fire Riley got thrown into by taking this job??? Yet some Husker fans refuse to add one and one together. Riley's coaching and mentoring kept us from going nuclear last year and we could of won 10 to 11 games despite the whirlwind of crap!

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT