ADVERTISEMENT

2016 MLB Thread

I see another MLB ump decided to unnecessarily inject himself into the Mets-Dodgers game. Nice job, idiot.

Good Lord, what is with the man-crush MLB umpires have on Chase Utley? They always seem to be bending over backwards to protect Mr. Hair Gel.

Reactions: SC_'sker
I see another MLB ump decided to unnecessarily inject himself into the Mets-Dodgers game. Nice job, idiot.

Good Lord, what is with the man-crush MLB umpires have on Chase Utley? They always seem to be bending over backwards to protect Mr. Hair Gel.
I don't think they were protecting him as much as nipping it in the bud. The umpire went way too far if no warnings were ever issued. He brought last postseasons slide back into the spotlight without even knowing it.

Yu back on the mound looked very good. Hamels and Darvish at top of rotation makes me smile!!

I hope they hit him tonight instead of just pitching behind him. Go Mets!

I disagree in this case. These type of stupid games never end unless you get a handle on it and send a message. When you don't, you get a guy killed with a 90 mph pitch that was intended to buzz his chin. I personally can't stand it when umps play the stupid "warn both teams" routine. It is stupid in my book.

A couple years ago, I remember watching a boxing match where both fighters were just fighting dirty. Lot blows, rabbit punches...you name it. Finally the ref went to the judges table and deducted two points from both fighters. He was putting an end to this stupidity. Both guys got the same points deducted, but the result was next fighter that loses a point loses by disqualification. No more stupidity in that fight.

I disagree in this case. These type of stupid games never end unless you get a handle on it and send a message. When you don't, you get a guy killed with a 90 mph pitch that was intended to buzz his chin. I personally can't stand it when umps play the stupid "warn both teams" routine. It is stupid in my book.

A couple years ago, I remember watching a boxing match where both fighters were just fighting dirty. Lot blows, rabbit punches...you name it. Finally the ref went to the judges table and deducted two points from both fighters. He was putting an end to this stupidity. Both guys got the same points deducted, but the result was next fighter that loses a point loses by disqualification. No more stupidity in that fight.

So you weren't in favor of warning the Mets, but the boxing example you gave was basically the ref warning both fighters. If he had done the equivalent of what the ump did, he would've just disqualified one of the fighters.

Reactions: SWIowahawks
So you weren't in favor of warning the Mets, but the boxing example you gave was basically the ref warning both fighters. If he had done the equivalent of what the ump did, he would've just disqualified one of the fighters.
It may seem that way, but he was in effect shutting down all the games the boxers were playing. Giving warnings to teams only shuts down stuff for that game, and likely gets a guy tossed for skipping a bad pitch into a guy by accident. When warnings in baseball result in forfeiting a game, then it would be the same.

Oh, one other thing. In the Mets case, they didn't make it even a secret that they were gonna go after Utley. The pitch was pure bush league and deserved a hook. Play baseball and leave the junior high slap fights for after the game.

It may seem that way, but he was in effect shutting down all the games the boxers were playing. Giving warnings to teams only shuts down stuff for that game, and likely gets a guy tossed for skipping a bad pitch into a guy by accident. When warnings in baseball result in forfeiting a game, then it would be the same.

Oh, one other thing. In the Mets case, they didn't make it even a secret that they were gonna go after Utley. The pitch was pure bush league and deserved a hook. Play baseball and leave the junior high slap fights for after the game.

It did essentially result in a forfeited game. The guy tossed the Mets ace 34 pitches into a game with zero warning. Hopefully the Mets bean Utley before the night is over.

It may seem that way, but he was in effect shutting down all the games the boxers were playing.

It "seems" that way because SC 'sker is exactly correct. The boxing referee you referred to penalized both fighters equally, and did not afford any kind of advantage to either of them. The ump, on the other, pretty much handed the Dodgers the game on a silver platter - unless you think facing the underbelly of the Mets' bullpen is the same as facing Noah Syndergaard.

It did essentially result in a forfeited game. The guy tossed the Mets ace 34 pitches into a game with zero warning. Hopefully the Mets bean Utley before the night is over.

why? they beat the Doyers last year in the playoffs....thats plenty of "revenge"

why? they beat the Doyers last year in the playoffs....thats plenty of "revenge"

That is true, but every time I see that replay of him sliding into Tejada I feel like more revenge needs to be had.

ADVERTISEMENT