ADVERTISEMENT

2016 - 2021 Recruiting & Attrition

JabroniBlvd

Sophomore
Nov 5, 2005
I know this has been touched on before, but I still feel it's a relevant point of where we are currently at. Frost took over a depleted roster and also tried doing a 180 degree change on the offense from a slow huddle to a no-huddle spread. These are facts, not excuses. The facts now come in starting this year as you've had time to now build up the roster and make changes where you thought you needed to. Losing Wandale is the start of the wrong direction, but the others not so much. Yes, Frost needs to get better and this is not all on Riley, but to brush that off is delusional. It's been 2.5 years and people want to bring in the brigade. Let's take a look...

2016: 21 Commits - Only 8 of these kids stayed on campus

2017: 20 Commits - Only 8 of these kids stayed on campus

2018: 25 Commits - Only 10 of these kids currently on campus

2019: 27 Commits - 22 of these kids currently on campus. Added 3 transfers

Up to this point we had 48/93 about 50% of your scholarship players were no longer even on the team. Therefore more young kids and walk-ons trying to contribute.

2020: 25 Commits - 20 kids currently on campus. Added 4 transfers

2021: 20 Commits - Added 4 transfers

Covid had some impact for the 2020 class on the 4 Florida kids not showing up or staying. The transfer portal is also going to shake up a lot of teams, def not just Nebraska is going through transfers. Again, does Frost need to get better as a coach? 100% This isn't a post to say he is off the hook, but it also is to show the struggles he had to face so far while here. Imagine showing up for a new HC gig and they tell you that almost half your team is gone. 2018 he got in late and had to take a lot of chances on kids to fill up the roster and it backfired some. It seems the 2019 class and on for the most part are in tact and will contribute greatly. The 2019 class is also just still freshmen or sophomores at most - you cannot come out and win the B10 West with that young of a team. We have a veteran defense back this season which will help us in a big way. Frost now needs to learn to punch the ball in the endzone. #GBR

I know this has been touched on before, but I still feel it's a relevant point of where we are currently at. Frost took over a depleted roster and also tried doing a 180 degree change on the offense from a slow huddle to a no-huddle spread. These are facts, not excuses. The facts now come in starting this year as you've had time to now build up the roster and make changes where you thought you needed to. Losing Wandale is the start of the wrong direction, but the others not so much. Yes, Frost needs to get better and this is not all on Riley, but to brush that off is delusional. It's been 2.5 years and people want to bring in the brigade. Let's take a look...

Up to this point we had 48/93 about 50% of your scholarship players were no longer even on the team. Therefore more young kids and walk-ons trying to contribute.

Covid had some impact for the 2020 class on the 4 Florida kids not showing up or staying. The transfer portal is also going to shake up a lot of teams, def not just Nebraska is going through transfers. Again, does Frost need to get better as a coach? 100% This isn't a post to say he is off the hook, but it also is to show the struggles he had to face so far while here. Imagine showing up for a new HC gig and they tell you that almost half your team is gone. 2018 he got in late and had to take a lot of chances on kids to fill up the roster and it backfired some. It seems the 2019 class and on for the most part are in tact and will contribute greatly. The 2019 class is also just still freshmen or sophomores at most - you cannot come out and win the B10 West with that young of a team. We have a veteran defense back this season which will help us in a big way. Frost now needs to learn to punch the ball in the endzone. #GBR

Get a job, hippie!

Kidding, this is interesting!

the 17 and 18 retention numbers surprise me. It seems like we have more of those guys left and contributing than what we actually do. Some of that is the huge number of Florida guys who have left. The guys left out of those classes are largely talented players I think.

Very nice work OP.

Frost needs to be on top when it comes to grad transfers. Just like college basketball went through the one and done era and now is going through grad transfers, that’s where it’s trending in college football these days and if we can get the best grad players, this will help with the attrition issues that most schools experience. Hell, Oklahoma does it with quarterbacks every year.

It’s a new landscape and those who react fast and well will thrive. Those who don’t will get left behind.

I find it hard to look at transfer numbers the first couple of years in a new coaches tenure because often the coaches are trying to turn the roster over to get players that fit his system. Also there is less loyalty in both directions when a previous coach is the one who recruited a player. Then you usually have a transition period which has turbulence to it and you find out who struggles with buy-in, trust,adapting to change. This goes both ways. I believe Frost has said they are through that now. Problem is then you get a curve ball with the Covid crap. Such is life. I do believe having some measurable winning success will do wonders.

Reactions: dinglefritz
Very nice work OP.

Frost needs to be on top when it comes to grad transfers. Just like college basketball went through the one and done era and now is going through grad transfers, that’s where it’s trending in college football these days and if we can get the best grad players, this will help with the attrition issues that most schools experience. Hell, Oklahoma does it with quarterbacks every year.

It’s a new landscape and those who react fast and well will thrive. Those who don’t will get left behind.
Well we got the top grad transfer WR in the country so that's a start. I have mixed emotions though about some of the guys. What a nightmare for a coaching staff. Free agency IMO is going to make it tough to fully implement anything more than very simple systems.

For some reason I don't think the new transfer rules will hurt programs like Bama and OSU.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT