ADVERTISEMENT

2005 Alamo Bowl vs. Michigan

saluno22

Defensive Coordinator
Mar 1, 2006
Watched this in pieces over the last few days. Terrible officiating...

1. Michigan had to burn two timeouts in the second half to get the Sun Belt officials to actually take a look at a replay. Replay was relatively new that season, with the Big Ten on the forefront and Many other conferences not using it.
2. Bad no-call on 4th and 8 at the NU 18 for Michigan (32-28 NU at the time) with under 3 minutes left (and no timeouts, see #1 above for where two of those went), Zach Bowman hooked Mario Manningham's arm while going over him to bat away a pass at the goal line.
3. Long delay in spotting the ball and starting the play clock on NU's 4th down that shaved another 10 seconds off the clock (NU called timeout with 18 seconds left before punting).
4. The last play. How did the officials not throw a penalty on our bench or at least offsetting penalties because Michigan players also came on the field? (Answer: they were too embarrassed to continue the game is my guess.)

That was all in the second half. Michigan had plenty of chances to pull away and didn't, but my goodness, the officiating was atrocious. I think that was an impetus to change how bowl officials are selected.

How about that Michigan WR core in 2005? Jason Avant, Steve Breaston, Mario Manningham. Wow.

I think that was an impetus to change how bowl officials are selected.

Your game against Michigan and Iowa’s against Florida featuring Conference USA refs were the reason only P5 refs now call P5 bowl matchups.

the officiating in the Outback and Alamo bowls will force the NCAA to review its crew selection for bowl games. The issue will be discussed during the NCAA's spring meetings.”

https://www.gainesville.com/article/LK/20060105/News/604163270/GS

Take a look at these calls to see some truly “unconscionable” calls, according to Chris Spielman who was calling the game for ESPN. There’s literally a play where a Gator grabs Iowa’s receiver’s face mask and tosses him to the side and the refs call facemasking... on Iowa.

Last edited:
Reactions: saluno22
Your game against Michigan and Iowa’s against Florida featuring Conference USA refs were the reason only P5 refs now call P5 bowl matchups.

the officiating in the Outback and Alamo bowls will force the NCAA to review its crew selection for bowl games. The issue will be discussed during the NCAA's spring meetings.”

https://www.gainesville.com/article/LK/20060105/News/604163270/GS

Take a look at these calls to see some truly “unconscionable” calls, according to Chris Spielman who was calling the game for ESPN. There’s literally a play where a Gator grabs Iowa’s receiver’s face mask and tosses him to the side and the refs call facemasking... on Iowa.

I hate to do it, but that highlight reel for Iowa was pretty badass.

1. Michigan had to burn two timeouts in the second half to get the Sun Belt officials to actually take a look at a replay. Replay was relatively new that season, with the Big Ten on the forefront and Many other conferences not using it.
2. Bad no-call on 4th and 8 at the NU 18 for Michigan (32-28 NU at the time) with under 3 minutes left (and no timeouts, see #1 above for where two of those went), Zach Bowman hooked Mario Manningham's arm while going over him to bat away a pass at the goal line.
3. Long delay in spotting the ball and starting the play clock on NU's 4th down that shaved another 10 seconds off the clock (NU called timeout with 18 seconds left before punting).
4. The last play. How did the officials not throw a penalty on our bench or at least offsetting penalties because Michigan players also came on the field? (Answer: they were too embarrassed to continue the game is my guess.)

That was all in the second half. Michigan had plenty of chances to pull away and didn't, but my goodness, the officiating was atrocious. I think that was an impetus to change how bowl officials are selected.

How about that Michigan WR core in 2005? Jason Avant, Steve Breaston, Mario Manningham. Wow.
I was at that game and remember watching both teams warm up and noting the size, speed and apparent talent advantage for Michigan seemed like we were a NAIA team taking on a D1 power. Guess you can’t judge the heart of pork chop and Co. The Michigan fans were all over Lloyd Carr after that game. Great time!

I was at that game and went with a buddy who is a UM fan. We both agreed the officiating was horrible, but he told me after the game it didn’t matter. From a talent standpoint we were completely outmatched in that game and UM should have put it away despite the horrible officiating.

I was at that game and went with a buddy who is a UM fan. We both agreed the officiating was horrible, but he told me after the game it didn’t matter. From a talent standpoint we were completely outmatched in that game and UM should have put it away despite the horrible officiating.
Bowl games when they don’t matter are always a mixed bag. More motivated team usually wins... like when we beat geargia a few years back. They were close to the cfp that year

I remember both games as being generators of hope, guessing that both Michigan and Georgia weren't motivated.

Was about ready to throw the remote through the TV if we didn't stop that last play. I'm glad a couple of our players were paying attention and kept playing because the rest of the team surely wasn't.

Iowa sucks. Who cares about them and bad calls? Go gators. Anyone better than a Hawkeye

ADVERTISEMENT