ADVERTISEMENT

2 more wins on the schedule

HuskerOH

Senior
Dec 4, 2007
El Ranchito Dominican Republic
If this is how the defense will play, I only see 2 more wins. Purdue and UCLA are wins. tOSU and USC losses. Everything else are toss ups and if the defense implodes like it did tonight and last week, mark the rest as losses. Not panicking about 1 game, but the last 2 games the offenses dictated to the defense and picked them apart. Tony needs to rethink his approach, he had no answers for what was going on and out coached the last 2 games.

Tony stunk up the joint tonight. I think Altmyer was 21-26 and 3TD's. Gonna be a long conference schedule.

If this is how the defense will play, I only see 2 more wins. Purdue and UCLA are wins. tOSU and USC losses. Everything else are toss ups and if the defense implodes like it did tonight and last week, mark the rest as losses. Not panicking about 1 game, but the last 2 games the offenses dictated to the defense and picked them apart. Tony needs to rethink his approach, he had no answers for what was going on and out coached the last 2 games.

Tony stunk up the joint tonight. I think Altmyer was 21-26 and 3TD's. Gonna be a long conference schedule.
21-27, 4 TD, 0 INT for Altmyer.

Atrocious pass defense

Don't think many teams other than the big 2 have QBs of altmeyers status, and it pains me to say it because he is not that great. Indiana will pick us apart as well. We can still break the 6 win mark

The defense sucked but it would be nice if we could run the ball consistently and keep the defense off the field. The OL doesn't run block as well as we were hoping from a veteran unit. Just being able to hand it off and go straight down the field and churn clock without throws would be nice.

Purdue (60% chance we win)
Rutgers (Loss)
Indiana (Definite Loss)
Ohio St (Beatdown Loss)
UCLA (60% chance we win)
USC (Beatdown Loss)
Wisconsin (Tossup)
Iowa (35% chance we win)

Wisconsin and Iowa will determine if we go bowling and it doesn’t look good.
Need to see more of Rutgers and Indy to be calling these two definite losses..

Reactions: BleedRed78
This kind of overreaction is silly. Outside of OSU and USC, we can compete with and will have a chance to beat everyone else on the schedule. We could also lose every game, but that just will not happen. The negative hyperbole is absurd.

Watch more football other than Nebraska, look at schedules and who top 25 teams defeat and lose to. Good teams do actually lose games and rebound to beat other good teams.

If we aren't in a bowl then the whole AD needs to be cleared out. Anyone that has ever done anything even football adjacent needs to be shown the door. It's unacceptable and it's time we start getting more cutthroat with this stuff.

If we aren't in a bowl then the whole AD needs to be cleared out. Anyone that has ever done anything even football adjacent needs to be shown the door. It's unacceptable and it's time we start getting more cutthroat with this stuff.
So, fire the new AD if we don’t make a bowl game. Brilliant.

• Love
Reactions: V-Doub and mgbreis
Just wait for it to play out. Pretty much every team in CFB has had bad games this year. Hell Georgia had to survive Kentucky after Kentucky got obliterated the week before. We weren't going to be a National Title caliber team this year. Still can get to 8-4 and possibly knock off some others.
My total frustration is that when we need to we won't or can't or refuse to run the ball.
3rd and 3 on the 21 yard line of Illinois why didn't we run 2 tights with fullback.
Are we saying we can't get 3 yards in 2 plays?
If not there is a huge problem.
I understand he was open yet to much pressure and we needed to burn the clock
Also we need to send a message a powerful message and we didn't

This kind of overreaction is silly. Outside of OSU and USC, we can compete with and will have a chance to beat everyone else on the schedule. We could also lose every game, but that just will not happen. The negative hyperbole is absurd.

Watch more football other than Nebraska, look at schedules and who top 25 teams defeat and lose to. Good teams do actually lose games and rebound to beat other good teams.
If there is no improvement in the defense, there are only 2 more wins left on the schedule. Tony White has a lot of work to do to make this defense viable again. He has a track record here of not stopping running QB's and the quick passing game. It will be interesting.

Reactions: ssmill777
I don't think it's him
You have to have the personnel to run certain systems
Great corners and LB play has to be better for his system to fully work to its full potential
Last year was great corners with way better line backers than this year

If we lose to Rutgers, and if special teams are a big part of the loss like last night, then I would support something dramatic like moving Foley to a staff position (until the end of the year when he leaves "for another opportunity") and appointing someone else to finish out the year. They had 119 yards on KO and punt returns and we had 26. And of course the missed FG probably cost us the game.

UCLA is playing lsu tough right now

My total frustration is that when we need to we won't or can't or refuse to run the ball.
3rd and 3 on the 21 yard line of Illinois why didn't we run 2 tights with fullback.
Are we saying we can't get 3 yards in 2 plays?
If not there is a huge problem.
I understand he was open yet to much pressure and we needed to burn the clock
Also we need to send a message a powerful message and we didn't
We still have games to compete in. Not gonna jump off the ledge yet. I hated the loss but had every opportunity to win even with a bad D showing

Reactions: scarletred

How much of that is on Butler? Has he changed our scheme?

Rutgers will be a physical game like Illinois. I’m not sure our O-line is physical enough for the running game. Indiana is going to torch our secondary.
Indiana has played the 119th ranked defense, the 89th ranked defense, the 123rd ranked defense and a bad FCS team. I am not sure their offense has been tested enough to say they will torch any defense ranked in the 30's

Indiana has played the 119th ranked defense, the 89th ranked defense, the 123rd ranked defense and a bad FCS team. I am not sure their offense has been tested enough to say they will torch any defense ranked in the 30's
this makes me think the Terps are live tomorrow

How much of that is on Butler? Has he changed our scheme?
I think its more deep than that. We are not as good at lb nor at safety. Big factors.

My team/My defense on paper should be better this year. We return 8 starters. But the 2 corners and the Safety that we lost to graduation have hurt us in the passing game. And thus hurt us in the run game. We are way better up front this year, but because we have given up crucial 2nd and 3 down passes we have become more susceptible to the run. Not a scheme thing...Players and chemistry go a long ways.

Reactions: beaglehusker
Purdue (60% chance we win)
Rutgers (Loss)
Indiana (Definite Loss)
Ohio St (Beatdown Loss)
UCLA (60% chance we win)
USC (Beatdown Loss)
Wisconsin (Tossup)
Iowa (35% chance we win)

Wisconsin and Iowa will determine if we go bowling and it doesn’t look good.
I think this looks likely right now. Maybe a bit on the pessimistic side. But we will know more after the Purdue game. Another weak performance from the defense and we will be in trouble. But if we shut them down reasonably well then we will just be back to square one not really knowing how good (or bad) we are. We will know after the Rutgers game for sure. They are a good team. If I had to predict right now I would say we lose. But that is based on the lousy defensive performance of the past two games. Bottom line is we just don't know which Husker team is the real one.

I think its more deep than that. We are not as good at lb nor at safety. Big factors.

My team/My defense on paper should be better this year. We return 8 starters. But the 2 corners and the Safety that we lost to graduation have hurt us in the passing game. And thus hurt us in the run game. We are way better up front this year, but because we have given up crucial 2nd and 3 down passes we have become more susceptible to the run. Not a scheme thing...Players and chemistry go a long ways.
This right here.

If there’s only 2 more wins in the schedule, then these comparisons between Raiola and Mahommes needs to stop.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT