$2,000 vs $600 Stimulus

Trike Rider

Blackshirt
Gold Member
Jan 6, 2009
What?

This country was literally founded on the idea that each state is more or less left to govern themselves... You want more power to the federal government?

That's literally against the constitution
A state only has the power to enforce restrictions on state property. State wide mask mandates, closing down business, restricting how many people can be in a business, is illegal. Same applies to the federal level. Trump constitutionally can only enforce mandates on federal property.

sklarbodds

Administrator
Nov 30, 2006
A state only has the power to enforce restrictions on state property. State wide mask mandates, closing down business, restricting how many people can be in a business, is illegal. Same applies to the federal level. Trump constitutionally can only enforce mandates on federal property.
Ok so I assume you think building codes are illegal? What about HOA restrictions? How about car licensing?

I'm just curious how deep your delusion goes

Hardlyboy

Offensive Coordinator
Gold Member
Jan 26, 2011
LOL

Trike Rider

Blackshirt
Gold Member
Jan 6, 2009
Ok so I assume you think building codes are illegal? What about HOA restrictions? How about car licensing?

I'm just curious how deep your delusion goes
No? Stop making assumptions about irrelevant issues. Legally speaking the state and federal governments can only enforce these mask mandates and on state and federal property.

• Haha
Reactions: lifer56

Lonny Boysen

All-American
Gold Member
Oct 2, 2015
I’d love to see this money sent out more strategically and logically based on each citizen/household’s current situation.

My family is lucky enough to have not received either stimulus, but the vast majority of my coworkers will. Our company has had a record year, and we’ve received multiple (3) bonuses from the company in 2020.

While it is a nice treat for my coworkers to get this extra money, they don’t need it at all. They are sitting better than they would be in a normal year.....and they’re still bitching about $600 being too low.

$600 isn’t enough to help the people that truly need it, and the majority of Americans are fine right now. I’d rather see bigger checks going to the people that are truly in dire straights.

I of course realize that the point of a stimulus check is ultimately to help the economy and individuals benefiting is secondary, but I’d argue that giving people money doesn’t help the local businesses that are struggling because the covid restrictions are causing their pain.

People are going to buy AirPods and help Apple who is already doing fine. They aren’t going to suddenly go bowling in record numbers and save Al of Al’s Bowling Emporium.

I know I’m probably throwing out an unpopular opinion here as most people will receive the check and want the free cash badly, but this whole thing feels like throwing a shitload of money at the wrong problems to me.

Cash68847

Head Coach
Gold Member
Dec 9, 2017
There’s a lot of reasons for the govt not to print money and directly send it to people every time we experience a recession.

If there weren’t reasons, then you could just send everyone $10000, $20000, $50000 and it wouldn’t matter.
You should take care of the people who need it. Make other cuts for a year. You could start with the pork in that bill. A lot of rich businesses and Wall Street benefited from the first ppp and didn’t need the money. We could also make cuts to defense spending. Let’s not pretend like it’s going to bankrupt us to send more money out. We are already there with our piss poor politicians.

Reactions: Lonny Boysen

Cash68847

Head Coach
Gold Member
Dec 9, 2017
Obama wasn’t president in 2008.
Obama took the lead from Bush. Quit playing stupid. He followed the same policies taking care of the rich while letting the poors go down the shitter. Their policies led to Trump. I can’t believe people like you won’t admit it, or you’re too naive to see it.

Reactions: HuskerCK

Trike Rider

Blackshirt
Gold Member
Jan 6, 2009
He’s going to get upset when he learns the Fire Marshall caps occupancy at businesses.
Yeah having too many people in a building during a fire is a major concern that could kill many people unnecessarily. Just like driving a car drunk which is a deadly weapon can kill many people unnecessarily. Covid has a 99.8% survival rate. You have the ability to understand the difference between Biden potentially violating the 10th amendment and many states already violating our 1st amendment correct?

IndyHusker

Administrator
Aug 23, 2001
Lafayette, Indiana
I’d love to see this money sent out more strategically and logically based on each citizen/household’s current situation.

My family is lucky enough to have not received either stimulus, but the vast majority of my coworkers will. Our company has had a record year, and we’ve received multiple (3) bonuses from the company in 2020.

While it is a nice treat for my coworkers to get this extra money, they don’t need it at all. They are sitting better than they would be in a normal year.....and they’re still bitching about $600 being too low.

$600 isn’t enough to help the people that truly need it, and the majority of Americans are fine right now. I’d rather see bigger checks going to the people that are truly in dire straights.

I of course realize that the point of a stimulus check is ultimately to help the economy and individuals benefiting is secondary, but I’d argue that giving people money doesn’t help the local businesses that are struggling because the covid restrictions are causing their pain.

People are going to buy AirPods and help Apple who is already doing fine. They aren’t going to suddenly go bowling in record numbers and save Al of Al’s Bowling Emporium.

I know I’m probably throwing out an unpopular opinion here as most people will receive the check and want the free cash badly, but this whole thing feels like throwing a shitload of money at the wrong problems to me.

While part of this is about getting money to those that desperately need it, it's also about putting a whole bunch of cash into the economy. Neither party wants to be associated with a recession, so that means pumping up the money supply in record fashion.

IndyHusker

Administrator
Aug 23, 2001
Lafayette, Indiana
Yeah having too many people in a building during a fire is a major concern that could kill many people unnecessarily. Just like driving a car drunk which is a deadly weapon can kill many people unnecessarily. Covid has a 99.8% survival rate. You have the ability to understand the difference between Biden potentially violating the 10th amendment and many states already violating our 1st amendment correct?

Where are you getting that survival rate number?

IndyHusker

Administrator
Aug 23, 2001
Lafayette, Indiana

From the CDC website:

States have police power functions to protect the health, safety, and welfare of persons within their borders. To control the spread of disease within their borders, states have laws to enforce the use of isolation and quarantine.

These laws can vary from state to state and can be specific or broad. In some states, local health authorities implement state law. In most states, breaking a quarantine order is a criminal misdemeanor.

Tribes also have police power authority to take actions that promote the health, safety, and welfare of their own tribal members. Tribal health authorities may enforce their own isolation and quarantine laws within tribal lands, if such laws exist.

Reactions: sklarbodds

Lonny Boysen

All-American
Gold Member
Oct 2, 2015
While part of this is about getting money to those that desperately need it, it's also about putting a whole bunch of cash into the economy. Neither party wants to be associated with a recession, so that means pumping up the money supply in record fashion.
I know, and I addressed that point explicitly, Indy. See the second half of my post

I guess my whole point was that a stimulus check of any sort isn’t the most effective way to go about “helping” the US right now.

I’d have rather seen that money go to helping small businesses survive this last stretch before the vaccination efforts have been completed.

The stimulus money is likely going to be spent on goods from companies that are already doing fine, if not better, during the pandemic rather than boosting businesses that are hurting. Most Fortune 500’s aren’t hurting at all right now, but they’ll get the bulk of this free money.

If we insist on money going directly to individuals, then it should be done in a way that makes sense rather than giving money to millions and millions who don’t need it right now.

Reactions: tobermeyer24

brnred1989

All-American
Gold Member
Sep 3, 2011
I mean at what point do people truly need a stimulus check? I wouldn't consider the mrs and I who are 30/31 years old and doing fairly well to be considered in dire straights. Yet we would qualify for the second stimulus as we did the first. Did we spend that stimulus, no we didn't we just put it into savings....

I'm curious how many spent, how many saved, and how many never received the stimulus.

Also $600 won't do CRACK JACK for anyone....Just us 2 our monthly grocery bill is $600, no way could we feed a family of 4 on $600, try more like $1,000 to $1,200 a month to do that.

Last edited:

Lonny Boysen

All-American
Gold Member
Oct 2, 2015
I’ve seen him throw out at least 3 different survival rate numbers in the past couple of weeks.

Not sure what the strategy is, but he seems to change it based on the current convo and his current troll-angle?

Reactions: IndyHusker

sklarbodds

Administrator
Nov 30, 2006
His ass.

Considering the virus has already killed .1% of the population of the US and hasn't even infected 1/10th of the country his number is a joke

Reactions: IndyHusker

IndyHusker

Administrator
Aug 23, 2001
Lafayette, Indiana
I know, and I addressed that point explicitly, Indy. See the second half of my post

I guess my whole point was that a stimulus check of any sort isn’t the most effective way to go about “helping” the US right now.

I’d have rather seen that money go to helping small businesses survive this last stretch before the vaccination efforts have been completed.

The stimulus money is likely going to be spent on goods from companies that are already doing fine, if not better, during the pandemic rather than boosting businesses that are hurting. Most Fortune 500’s aren’t hurting at all right now, but they’ll get the bulk of this free money.

If we insist on money going directly to individuals, then it should be done in a way that makes sense rather than giving money to millions and millions who don’t need it right now.

I wouldn't argue with any of this Lonny.

Redblooded

Athletic Director
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
Both senators from Georgia like the $2000 stimulus to try to buy the votes they need to win the runoff.

IndyHusker

Administrator
Aug 23, 2001
Lafayette, Indiana
Obama took the lead from Bush. Quit playing stupid. He followed the same policies taking care of the rich while letting the poors go down the shitter. Their policies led to Trump. I can’t believe people like you won’t admit it, or you’re too naive to see it.

I'm being stupid for stating that Obama wasn't president in '08? Obama stepped into the second biggest financial mess in our history. Did he do all of the right things? Of course not and I was very vocal about that on the Scrolls. But in reality, it turned out better than what most of us had envisioned. Unemployment fell sharply during his tenure and his weakest GDP from 2010 through 2018 was 1.55%. Deficits were also on the decline his last four years.

Bart Man

All-American
Gold Member
Dec 1, 2014
Mitch lets it die on his desk like the other hundred or so bills passed by the House this last 2-year session that make perfect sense in terms of sound public policy. Won't even assign it to committee.

His manipulation of the Supreme Court justice confirmation process has been nothing short of obscene and hideous. Why expect anything different this time?

jftr, $2,000 checks would help revive this economy. That's the last thing Repubs want with a Dem coming into office. (Think this is cynical? Take a look at: https://www.washingtonpost.com/blog...c96c7c8-e31f-11e1-ae7f-d2a13e249eb2_blog.html )

I'm sorry if this offends anyone. But Repub "leaders" in congress and in DC have put hyper-partisan politics miles ahead of the nation's good for years now.
The pubs had the perfect teachers on all things politics. You are blind if you don’t think Pelosi and Schumer don’t play deeper in the swamp than Mitch.

• Haha

IndyHusker

Administrator
Aug 23, 2001
Lafayette, Indiana
You don't have to be snarky. I was just asking if spending is your issue and both parties are guilty do you vote strictly on other issues now?

I voted for Biden to get rid of the orange menace. I voted for our Republican governor, as I thought he was doing a fine job before and during the Covid. I voted against our local congressman, as he was complicit in the ongoing lie of Donald J. Trump. Locally, almost all of my votes were for the Republican. Going forward, I will simply vote for the best candidate, assuming he isn't a moral decrepit. Simple stuff.

Frostradamus

Sophomore
Gold Member
Dec 2, 2014
Yep. 343,000 car accidents this year reclassified as Covid.
No, some covid deaths to be sure. and then a bunch of others that were improperly categorized as due to covid. Yes we all heard about the wacky minority of instances where people died from something completely unrelated 60-90 days after a positive test and were still counted but that is not my issue.

IndyHusker

Administrator
Aug 23, 2001
Lafayette, Indiana
No, some covid deaths to be sure. and then a bunch of others that were improperly categorized as due to covid. Yes we all heard about the wacky minority of instances where people died from something completely unrelated 60-90 days after a positive test and were still counted but that is not my issue.

Well, the CDC itself has our nation's total death toll over 300,000 above the rolling average. And that's with flu deaths being down due to social distancing. Looking at their statistics alone, one could surmise that the covid death toll has been undercounted.

Redblooded

Athletic Director
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
Yes the 2000 has to go through the process now rather than the quick approval. I believe if Moscow Mitch lets it come up for a vote it would pass.

Bart Man

All-American
Gold Member
Dec 1, 2014
Both senators from Georgia like the $2000 stimulus to try to buy the votes they need to win the runoff.
Do you think they are stupid? Just as well as we are printing money anyway. No such thing as a budget anymore with COVID spending.

lifer56

Nebraska Football Hall of Fame
Gold Member
May 3, 2005
This is a pretty big deal. I still doubt McConnell brings it up, but Bernie is going to filibuster the NDAA veto override vote to try and pressure him into it. Even if Perdue and maybe Loeffler come out in favor, are there 3-4 more R's that will vote yes? I could see a few centrist Dem's like Manchin opposing as well.

Knowing Mitch, he'll attach some poison pill like the Section 230 bs or trumps demand for an election fraud commission so there's no way Dems vote for it.
They need 12 total. As of right now according to a story from Axios, they have: Sens. Kelly Loeffler (R-Ga.) and David Perdue, the two senators running for re-election in the Jan. 5 runoff, both came out in support of the $2,000 checks earlier on Tuesday. And Republican Sens. Josh Hawley (Mo.), Marco Rubio (Fla.) and Lindsey Graham (S.C.).

I can imagine 3 or 4 others just off the top of my head who might favor the increase.

The fact that 44 House Republicans supported it makes me think that getting 12 Senate Republicans might not be that big a reach.

Redblooded

Athletic Director
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
Do you think they are stupid? Just as well as we are printing money anyway. No such thing as a budget anymore with COVID spending.

No I think the president has forced their hand and that of most Republicans. It will be a disaster for the Repubs if they vote this down. Mitch may ignore it to try to protect most of his party.

sklarbodds

Administrator
Nov 30, 2006
What's your explanation for this?

Reactions: damcde

Bart Man

All-American
Gold Member
Dec 1, 2014
No I think the president has forced their hand and that of most Republicans. It will be a disaster for the Repubs if they vote this down. Mitch may ignore it to try to protect most of his party.
I don’t think he can ignore it. More Republicans will vote for the increased stimulus for Americans than Democrats against the foreign pork in the Omnibus bill.

IndyHusker

Administrator
Aug 23, 2001
Lafayette, Indiana

Trump could not have handled this worse than he has. Par for the course for the great deal maker. Not one great deal in four years. So much winning.

Reactions: Redblooded

IndyHusker

Administrator
Aug 23, 2001
Lafayette, Indiana