ADVERTISEMENT

1st half OSU

leodisflowers

Assistant Head Coach
Feb 25, 2011
North Carolina
Saw this on another Forum, but it was pretty interesting. We had some opportunity on both sides of the ball, just need to get those couple big breaks.

Offense:
1st drive - 7 points. We only scored on an opening drive 1 time all of last year.
2nd drive - 2nd and 1, false start after on 1st down we hit Robinson for 9, but had Liewer over the top as his CB fell down and no safety help (punt)
3rd drive - Wandale already has his 3rd catch. only 3 more all game. B. Wilson holds his 2nd down block 1/8 second longer = big gain for LM. Stoll gets hurt. Mills has best run of game (8 yards) Austin Allen big yardage great play. TD. Nice Drive. Looked pretty smooth.
4th drive - Delay of game. McCaffrey tackled in backfield by every DL. Looked like Counter again. Sack. Sack. Uggh.
5th drive - Penalty. Half Time

Defense:
1st drive...had them at 3rd and 17 (the converted 4th down and scored.
2nd drive - had them sacked, didn't call the knee down (scored on a 40 yard bomb next play)
3rd drive - Got them to punt after picking up 15 yards.
4th drive - pinned them deep on kickoff. Got them in another 4th down. "What is happening? Are we actually this good? We are as physical as them for sure" Thoughts creeping into my head. They convert 4th down. NO targeting on Domann. Domann great tackle in backfield. Picked up another 4th down by 2 inches, but negated by penalty. Field Goal. Made them earn it all the way down the field.
5th drive - Penalty. Penalty. Both judgment calls. TD.

It really got out of control in a hurry.

You could make a case that Nebraska actually had momentum after holding OSU to a FG late in the first half, making the score 17-14. It's hard to argue that a single delay of game penalty caused a 180 degree momentum swing, but that is clearly the moment things shifted. NU went backward on the 3 plays after the FG; OSU pounced. After NU had tied the game at 14, OSU ran 18 plays to Nebraska's 3. NU lost 10 yards on those 3 plays. OSU scored 10 points.

It got worse. We ran 3 more plays to end the half 1st half, but never really got in a position to threaten. OSU got the ball to start the 2nd half and went on another 8 play TD drive. So after tying the score at 14, OSU ran 26 plays. NU ran 6, getting outscored 17-0 in the process.

We actually had a drive going after falling behind 31-14, but the fumble returned for a TD made the game 38-14. That was a pretty brutal 24-0 run OSU had.

Reactions: headcard and WHCSC
I actually thought it was a huge mistake for Frost to put in LMac when AMart had chinstrap issues. Should have called a timeout. First half, timeouts aren't that important. That drive went directly down the toilet. What if, just what if, that drive also winds up in the endzone, for a 21-17 halftime lead?

I actually thought it was a huge mistake for Frost to put in LMac when AMart had chinstrap issues. Should have called a timeout. First half, timeouts aren't that important. That drive went directly down the toilet. What if, just what if, that drive also winds up in the endzone, for a 21-17 halftime lead?

That kind of makes sense. If anything it would have been nice to just take a quick breather and calm everything down.

Thank you and the knee being down.

Score should have been about 38 to 21.

When you still commit pre-snap penalties, turn the ball over, and melt down before and after halftime, you're basically hand cuffing yourself and handing easy scores to your opponent.

I see progress in the program with relation to physicality and depth along the line of scrimmage. They still need more talent at the WR and LB, but erasing those dumb mistakes needs to be priority #1.

Oh... and while I thought the Special teams were genuinely improved, I don't like all the fair catches. Cam Taylor-Britt had 10 yards of space when he called a fair catch on his punt return. And inserting Brody Belt in to just make fair catches reminds me too much of Santino Panico.

Saw this on another Forum, but it was pretty interesting. We had some opportunity on both sides of the ball, just need to get those couple big breaks.

Offense:
1st drive - 7 points. We only scored on an opening drive 1 time all of last year.
2nd drive - 2nd and 1, false start after on 1st down we hit Robinson for 9, but had Liewer over the top as his CB fell down and no safety help (punt)
3rd drive - Wandale already has his 3rd catch. only 3 more all game. B. Wilson holds his 2nd down block 1/8 second longer = big gain for LM. Stoll gets hurt. Mills has best run of game (8 yards) Austin Allen big yardage great play. TD. Nice Drive. Looked pretty smooth.
4th drive - Delay of game. McCaffrey tackled in backfield by every DL. Looked like Counter again. Sack. Sack. Uggh.
5th drive - Penalty. Half Time

Defense:
1st drive...had them at 3rd and 17 (the converted 4th down and scored.
2nd drive - had them sacked, didn't call the knee down (scored on a 40 yard bomb next play)
3rd drive - Got them to punt after picking up 15 yards.
4th drive - pinned them deep on kickoff. Got them in another 4th down. "What is happening? Are we actually this good? We are as physical as them for sure" Thoughts creeping into my head. They convert 4th down. NO targeting on Domann. Domann great tackle in backfield. Picked up another 4th down by 2 inches, but negated by penalty. Field Goal. Made them earn it all the way down the field.
5th drive - Penalty. Penalty. Both judgment calls. TD.
I wasn't happy at all giving up 24 points at half. Based on the drive summary, it could have been 0 if we got stops when we had the opportunity.

I wasn't happy at all giving up 24 points at half. Based on the drive summary, it could have been 0 if we got stops when we had the opportunity.
I thought we handled playing in the Shoe pretty well too. Usually it’s a tough place to play but I don’t think our guys had many issues.

ADVERTISEMENT