ADVERTISEMENT

1st and goal from the 2

Its sad to see we have to resort to extreme misdirection plays to score from the 2 yard line. Go under center and challenge your offensive lineman to grow a pair and get us 2 yards.

Martinez is baffling. He will make a good play then the very next play shove his head in his ass and lose 5 yards.

Guys, watch the play, #71, our RT. Look at what happens if he actually makes the block he is assigned. Here is a hint, the guy that blew up the shovel pass was that guy. When has Farniok made that kind of play this year? Frost has to be able to coach to the talent he has on the line.

Guys, watch the play, #71, our RT. Look at what happens if he actually makes the block he is assigned. Here is a hint, the guy that blew up the shovel pass was that guy. When has Farniok made that kind of play this year? Frost has to be able to coach to the talent he has on the line.

Don't state facts. It's all on Scott Frost, he has no idea how to call a game or scheme up anything. It's all his fault, and he is the worst.

guys ... look at what happens when you call a play asking your RT - a player who has struggled all year particularly with mobility - is asked to execute a combo block with the G and then slide out to block a LB on the goal line

Reactions: dinglefritz
guys ... look at what happens when you call a play asking your RT - a player who has struggled all year particularly with mobility - is asked to execute a combo block with the G and then slide out to block a LB on the goal line
If Farniok at the very least does a pick play on the LB, that is a score. He never even made contact.

I was screaming at the TV on this play. Purdue has the worst rush defense in the conference. The announcers were even talking about it before the game. Hand the freaking ball to Robinson or Mills straight up the gut and be done with it! Martinez finally did that in the second half and guess what... he scored twice! Run the damn ball right at them if their rush defense is that bad. That was the most bazaar and boneheaded play calling of the season.
I agree, but this is what Frost does as a HC. He doesn't have that run it down your throat mentality. His first instinct is to get fancy and try to fool a D. That stuff is not going to work here unless you have uber talented players from top to bottom. We don't, and probably never will. If he wants to flip this thing around. He is either going to have figure out how to consistently recruit top 10 classes or he is going to have to take a piece of humble pie. Change his scheme and do more what Wisc and Iowa do, play solid, disciplined, hard nosed, smash you in the mouth football.

I wouldn't use iowa as an example of a team that does a good job of finishing drives

The call doesn't make sense to me because there's so little field to defend.
If Farniok at the very least does a pick play on the LB, that is a score. He never even made contact.
At this point I’m more surprised when Farniok does make contact. Tempting to just give Stoll a lower number and see how he could do at right tackle.

What do you want to call then? Farniok can't block 1 on 1 straight forward either....

What do you want to call then? Farniok can't block 1 on 1 straight forward either....

lets say you are hell bent on running that shovel pass on the 2 yard line -

the ball is in between the hash marks meaning it could just as easily been run to Jameis side taking 71 out of the play all together - you are also asking Martinez to make that pitch with his non-throwing arm by going right vs left

if 71 is such a liability - you could easily call run up the middle relying on G-C-G for the blocking or to the left off tackle

lets say you are hell bent on running that shovel pass on the 2 yard line -

the ball is in between the hash marks meaning it could just as easily been run to Jameis side taking 71 out of the play all together - you are also asking Martinez to make that pitch with his non-throwing arm by going right vs left

if 71 is such a liability - you could easily call run up the middle relying on G-C-G for the blocking or to the left off tackle

Well our guards might suck worse than #71 and we are awful at running up the middle. The point is the play is there with a little bit of execution. The other thing you could do on that same play is have Wandale continue to the flat. There is no way that LB keeps up and just a little flick and it is 6. But that is also asking that Adrian Martinez can complete that pass. The coaches just need to start benching this type of BS. If Farniok whiffs and looks that bad, yank his ass. Can't get any worse.

I wasn't that mad at the play call. I actually liked it. I wish they did more misdirection, running plays.

I'm angry we are so bad. I'm skeptical it will get better. I hope I'm wrong. Let's start bringing the right guys in.

Who should I get excited about that's unsigned and looking good for us?

I love Marvin Scott

I liked the Shovel pass call on first down. Go right at them with what they failed to execute. It's easy to judge when we have hindsight. The failure was the RPO on second down. Later in the game Scott called QB keep using Mills as a lead blocker. Wish he would have called that on second down.

It is seen time and time again....coaches that try to outsmart the other team rather than just outplaying them. Smash 4 plays right at their nose. If we cant get 2 yards in 4 plays, shouldnt be playing D1 football.

Reactions: bshirt73
I mainly don't like the shovel pass in that situation because there's just not much field to defend, so there are usually a lot of defenders in the immediate area because they're already stacked pretty close to the line of scrimmage anyway. But yeah this one probably works if Farniok just manages to get in someone's way for more than half a second.

Farniok - wow. LOL ..that right there is embarrassing. I would have called in sick on film day.

I agree, but this is what Frost does as a HC. He doesn't have that run it down your throat mentality. His first instinct is to get fancy and try to fool a D. That stuff is not going to work here unless you have uber talented players from top to bottom. We don't, and probably never will. If he wants to flip this thing around. He is either going to have figure out how to consistently recruit top 10 classes or he is going to have to take a piece of humble pie. Change his scheme and do more what Wisc and Iowa do, play solid, disciplined, hard nosed, smash you in the mouth football.

Two aren’t mutually exclusive, or at least they shouldn’t be. I’ll be honest and say I love Frosts offense. I love the spread and the concepts it employs. The misdirection, tempo, trying to create numbers mismatches. I’m good with all of that. But there is a reason it’s called a spread offense, obviously it’s designed to spread the defense. The problem with it is that once you’re down on the goal line the field shrinks and spreading teams out is much more difficult. So mixing in a power run game with a base spread should be a necessary component of any offense.

He figured it out in the second half. Too late. IMO, we HAVE to be able to run some BIG BOY sets and Frost has been doing some of that by bringing a TE in to the backfield. Watching Baltimore against the Pats, that's exactly what they did with their spread. Of course they have Lamar Jackson and he's not wearing a giant knee brace. We can run power football out of the spread. Whatever we do, we HAVE to develop better linemen and I think we've started that process with the freshman class. Most people are very high on the guys we're redshirting this year.

Which is weird because he's one of the toughest SoB's I've ever seen play the qb position. Why can't he instill that same toughness in his players?

Which is weird because he's one of the toughest SoB's I've ever seen play the qb position. Why can't he instill that same toughness in his players?
Because it is harder (impossible?) to coach toughness and "play hard" than technique. You think someone coached Frost or Frazier to play tough or play hard? It comes from within that person.

He figured it out in the second half. Too late. IMO, we HAVE to be able to run some BIG BOY sets and Frost has been doing some of that by bringing a TE in to the backfield. Watching Baltimore against the Pats, that's exactly what they did with their spread. Of course they have Lamar Jackson and he's not wearing a giant knee brace. We can run power football out of the spread. Whatever we do, we HAVE to develop better linemen and I think we've started that process with the freshman class. Most people are very high on the guys we're redshirting this year.

Please God......let this be true!!

Because it is harder (impossible?) to coach toughness and "play hard" than technique. You think someone coached Frost or Frazier to play tough or play hard? It comes from within that person.
I disagree that it can't be coached. Every single top 25 team plays way harder than we do, and some of them have a lot worse recruiting classes than we did. TO knew how to get the most out of his players and I'm sure most of them played harder here than they would have if they would have went elsewhere.

I don't think #71 understands the offense. Often, he is just looking for someone to go block, irrespective of what the play is. You can do that in high school, but it doesn't really fly at this level imo.

Please God......let this be true!!
We've recruited linemen with frames that will carry 330 easily. A couple of the guys were originally high school tight ends. We've got one freshman and one commit who were nationally ranked heavy weight high school wrestlers. IF you want linemen and linebackers who will flat out get after it, you recruit wrestlers.

Want to is a BIG deal. For the run of the mill college football player, it's the difference between being a starter or being a 3rd teamer.

Reactions: NikkiSixx
We've recruited linemen with frames that will carry 330 easily. A couple of the guys were originally high school tight ends. We've got one freshman and one commit who were nationally ranked heavy weight high school wrestlers. IF you want linemen and linebackers who will flat out get after it, you recruit wrestlers.

As usual sir you're 100% on the money. You betcha, good big wrestlers have the balance and quickness that's perfect for NU cfb. Great news!! The more the better....

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT