ADVERTISEMENT

1st and goal from the 2

QB keeper or even pound the rock up the middle with Mills would have been a likely touchdown. But like Frost said in the post-game conference, there are always calls you would like to have back. Unfortunately, this is becoming a frequent occurrence with this staff making a simple situation more difficult in an attempt to be clever.

I Think it is ridiculous that we tried this shovel pass the first play after we intercepted their shovel pass attempt. How original.
Why you get the ball 1st and goal at the 2 yard line and line up in shotgun I will never understand. On top of that we go with a no back set. Then we try a pass to our 150 pound slot guy.
How about just running it straight at them because they are Purdue.
Eventually at the end of this horrid play sequence we are 4th and goal at the 1 and we don’t go for it. What a shame. Decent chance at 14-0. Worst case should be 7-0 and they are backed up at the 1.

I Think it is ridiculous that we tried this shovel pass the first play after we intercepted their shovel pass attempt. How original.
Why you get the ball 1st and goal at the 2 yard line and line up in shotgun I will never understand. On top of that we go with a no back set. Then we try a pass to our 150 pound slot guy.
Eventually at the end of this horrid play sequence we are 4th and goal at the 1 and we don’t go for it. What a shame. Decent chance at 14-0. Worst case should be 7-0 and they are backed up at the 1.
In the play's defense, if Farniok doesn't suck something fierce, that is a walk in TD

Might as well lined AM under center and just push forward, might have scored, but then again..

Should they have gone for it on 4th in your opinion?
Well it shouldn’t have gotten to that. But, yes I think they should have gone for it because you don’t get that many chances from that close to the goal line. Of course I would have lined up in the I formation and handed off to Robinson with Mills blocking, but I don’t think that’s what Frost would have called.

Last edited:
Reactions: xxUNRIVALEDxx
All you guys need to stop rationalizing these play calls or blaming players.

This is simple. 100% stupidity and arrogance from Scott Frost.

Absolutely the worst sequence of play calling to date from him and thats saying something. His refusal to acknowledge its significance in the postgame leads me to believe he wont accept responsibility and learn from it, either.

Its small things like this that have me wondering about Frost. He has some serious growing up to do.

Football is football is football. First and goal from the two when you're beating an opponents ass after a huge momentum interception means pounding it straight ahead 4 times in a row if need be (wont take 4 plays), taking your 7 points and lining up the kickoff team.

How long does it take them to learn it?

Not that long. Against Indiana his calls were correct. Even if you see stuff on film, when you are that close just smash it in. You can do that by spreading them out, which is what I prefer, or go heavy like WI does.

I like it when coaches spread teams out in those situations and smash it in with a big RB. Its harder for a defense to box in.

When AM scored those touchdowns on his QB runs that is what I am getting at. Spread it out and power/smash it in against fewer defenders than all 11 in a box.

All you guys need to stop rationalizing these play calls or blaming players.

This is simple. 100% stupidity and arrogance from Scott Frost.

Absolutely the worst sequence of play calling to date from him and thats saying something. His refusal to acknowledge its significance in the postgame leads me to believe he wont accept responsibility and learn from it, either.

Its small things like this that have me wondering about Frost. He has some serious growing up to do.

Football is football is football. First and goal from the two when you're beating an opponents ass after a huge momentum interception means pounding it straight ahead 4 times in a row if need be (wont take 4 plays), taking your 7 points and lining up the kickoff team.
By calling those stupid plays on the goal line, it sends a message to your offensive line you as a coach don’t trust them.

it's game nine - if you are still asking players to execute blocks they aren't capable of executing then you are an idiot
If you can’t execute a simple block and you’re the best we have, then what exactly kind of call do you make?

On that play, he got himself right in front of the backer, in perfect position, and......falls on his face. Lol, you can not blame Frost for that.

I agree with most that we should have just stuck to something more simple and ran Mills, I even said that during the game.

3 runs with D.Mills and it’s 14-0

Also agree that we should have gone for it on 4th.

Reactions: HuskerDana
This is one of the things that coaches learn when they are a young head coach in the Big Ten. Just smash it into the endone and get the touchdown. Defenses in the Big Ten are tough to score on outside of the OT since linebackers crash hard.

yes one wonders if someone comes in boasting about how the league is going to have to adjust to his schemes rather than vice versa is really ready to become a head coach

The play call wasn't terrible, but it wasn't good either. Probably would have worked if the blockers could actually block. *But* knowing the blockers can't block, Frost should take that into account and call plays better suited to his teams abilities.

When AM scored those touchdowns on his QB runs that is what I am getting at. Spread it out and power/smash it in against fewer defenders than all 11 in a box.

So much this. Have mills lead the way.

He’s trying to get td’s for Robinson. Came up just short on the first TD and had to put Mills in. If you played NCAA14 you’d know you have to generate big time stats with one player to have a shot at the heisman. With WR it’s about first team fresh AA and a chance to project that success into living rooms of other skill guys. We are always scheming short RZ targets for him without running him into the pile.

I my opinion this is where the game was lost. Blowing 1st and goal at the 2 was a huge momentum shift. What did we recruit mills for. Hammer him into that #86 rushing defense and get up 14-0. Some of the worst play calling I've seen since Riley at Illinois

Garbage to put it lightly. And I’m saying that knowing full well it could have worked.

Is there any doubt Mills is getting two yards if you just give him the ball 3 times if need be?

I was screaming at the TV on this play. Purdue has the worst rush defense in the conference. The announcers were even talking about it before the game. Hand the freaking ball to Robinson or Mills straight up the gut and be done with it! Martinez finally did that in the second half and guess what... he scored twice! Run the damn ball right at them if their rush defense is that bad. That was the most bazaar and boneheaded play calling of the season.

Reactions: HuskerDana
I was screaming at the TV on this play. Purdue has the worst rush defense in the conference. The announcers were even talking about it before the game. Hand the freaking ball to Robinson or Mills straight up the gut and be done with it! Martinez finally did that in the second half and guess what... he scored twice! Run the damn ball right at them if their rush defense is that bad. That was the most bazaar and boneheaded play calling of the season.

Until we didn't blitz the 3rd string walk on QB on their final 82 yard drive. This game was coached to a loss

If frost wants a culture change he needs to start by looking in the mirror

Until we didn't blitz the 3rd string walk on QB on their final 82 yard drive. This game was coached to a loss

If frost wants a culture change he needs to start by looking in the mirror

Yep. As soon as we scored that lay TD all I was thinking was, third string QB. The D just needs to pin their ears back and go get him. That never happened. Instead the kid marches down the field to win the game like he’s Tom Brady.

The play call wasn't terrible, but it wasn't good either. Probably would have worked if the blockers could actually block. *But* knowing the blockers can't block, Frost should take that into account and call plays better suited to his teams abilities.

Well, that's true enough sir. But with our OLine, I'm not sure what would suit his team's ability on the two yard line. I suppose we could go back to our mighty fluff-ball scheme.....heh, but we can't pass block either.

Reactions: Pbfarmer
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT