ADVERTISEMENT

1999 Texas game revisited (running on Longhorn Network)

grayhairedfreak

Sophomore
Aug 21, 2010
Thanks to Dish I get this channel instead of good stuff like Palladia or VH1 Classic. DVRd the game (truncated 2-hour version) and realized the following...

Our OL got absolutely abused the entire game. eCrouch was constantly pushed into the backfield by UT's front 4 trying to run sideline options. Crouch also fumbled twice in the first 20 minutes.

Our D was pretty darn salty that year. Polk, Vanden Bosch, the Browns, Ortiz. Texas just made enough plays.

The Buckhalter goal line fumble occurred very early in the 4th quarter and didn't decide the game. We took the lead the next possession then promptly gave it up again.

The Adidas sideline gear that year was pretty brutal. Didn't help that Solich buttoned his polo all the way up. ;)

Ugh! 1999. What could have been?

Now that there is a 4 team playoff, 1999 and 1982 are the years I really wonder "What if?"

I don't think it's a stretch to think Nebraska is in the top 4 after the regular season both those years. 1999 Nebraska probably plays VA Tech and Michel Vick in the 2-3 game and Florida State and possibly Wisky in the other Semi.

1982? I believe Nebraska would have got another shot at Penn State in the 2-3 game. Wow. Georgia and Herschel Walker would have had to play SMU and Eric Dickerson. Imagine that.

81 and 83 Nebraska vs Clemson and Miami were both 1-4 match ups, and we lost. I just wonder in 83 what if that game was anywhere but Miami.

I attended that 99 game. It was the most frustrated I'd ever felt after an NU game - including a Sooner magic or two and the 1993 OB. I saw Bill Byrne exiting the elevator afterward and he looked like his dog had just died.

The O-line had their moments, but Texas did have some good payers on their d-line. The stat line below tells the story, Nebraska owned the regular season game, including turnovers, which cost them a victory. Hell, look how many times Texas punted. Makes me sick. In the rematch, Nebraska dominated just as effectively.

Nebraska Texas
First downs 23 13
Rushed-yards 51-192 27-62
Passing yards 237 213
Sacked-yards lost 2-17 1-8
Return yards 47 9
Passes 13-21-0 17-30-0
Punts 3-39.3 7-37.6
Fumbles-lost 5-3 2-0
Penalties-yards 5-45 6-61
Time of possession 34:13 25:47

What? Someone actually watching BevoTV?

We actually dominated that game. Stupid turnovers and I believe that was where they scored on a non-call block-in-the back vs Mike Brown?

The team fumbled something like 49 times that season. It could have been Solich's national championship had they been able to hang on to the ball. That stomping of Tennessee in the bowl is still one of my favorite old dusty games to rewatch because of the two 90+ yard drives to dominate the second half. Dan Alexander was such an unstoppable beast as long as you didn't ask him to turn a corner to reach above his head for a pass.

The team fumbled something like 49 times that season. It could have been Solich's national championship had they been able to hang on to the ball. That stomping of Tennessee in the bowl is still one of my favorite old dusty games to rewatch because of the two 90+ yard drives to dominate the second half. Dan Alexander was such an unstoppable beast as long as you didn't ask him to turn a corner to reach above his head for a pass.

Remember one of the broadcast team saying Alexander was basically a six foot muscle.Laughing

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT