ADVERTISEMENT

1999 Meltdown in Boulder

wxman39

Walk On
Sep 18, 2007
In 1999, NU was up 27-3 at the start of the 4th Quarter. CU scores 24 points to tie the game at 27 and had a chance to win it but just missed a FG near the end of regulation. It goes into overtime and NU pulls it out with a 33-30 win. So NU has blown an even bigger lead before.

In 1999, NU was up 27-3 at the start of the 4th Quarter. CU scores 24 points to tie the game at 27 and had a chance to win it but just missed a FG near the end of regulation. It goes into overtime and NU pulls it out with a 33-30 win. So NU has blown an even bigger lead before.
And who was the coach that season? When did the wheels start to fall off. I rest my case...

In this day and age of college football, 17 point half time leads are nothing, unless your Bama or a hand full of the other top programs, we see teams come back every week from small deficits. Nebraska needed to score 27 points in the first half, their two td's in the second might have been enough to win.

Reactions: HuskerLLM
CU had a furious 4th quarter comeback against us in 1997 when TO was head coach too. Just barely held on to win that game.

Our 1999 defense was one of the best in school history but they had nothing left in the 4th quarter.

We had many chances to turn this game into a blowout. It’s why I was cringing when we were putzing around etc

I was thinking about that game yesterday.

Don’t forget about 1990. 27 unanswered points in the 4th Q. Fire TO and McBride!

https://www.huskermax.com/games/1990/09colorado.html

This game was payback for '99 :D and the kicker made that field goal in '99. Still have no idea how they called that out, but it made the game more entertaining I guess. Interesting parallels as CU had a first year head coach in Gary Barnett that year. Outside of a few years, this game has in general always been very entertaining. Most within a score with last minute drama.

Reactions: 9and4
And who was the coach that season? When did the wheels start to fall off. I rest my case...
McBride was still the DC in 1999 and we had an awesome defense.

What case are you resting? That Solich hijacked the defensive coaching in the 4th quarter that year? Because unless he did that, the defensive performance in the 4th quarter had nothing to do with Solich otherwise...

Big leads evaporate all the time and that's been going on for decades. It happens.

I thought about the 1999 game right after we missed that FG...

We were fortunate to win that year in Boulder.. Karma is a bitch..

2AM getting sacked on 3rd down was the nail in the coffin.

Reactions: timnsun and jeans15
This game was payback for '99 :D and the kicker made that field goal in '99. Still have no idea how they called that out, but it made the game more entertaining I guess. Interesting parallels as CU had a first year head coach in Gary Barnett that year. Outside of a few years, this game has in general always been very entertaining. Most within a score with last minute drama.
Yesterday also had parallels to 2000 in Lincoln when Barnett went for two — and Ochs to Green made it happen — only to see our healthy all-American kicker make a field goal to win it late.

The late TD pass to Minardi came with 47 seconds left to make the score 31-30. Yesterday's late TD came with 46 seconds left to make the score 31-30. I saw some Buff fans hold up two fingers in the stands yesterday. Alas, Tucker took the safe bet and rode momentum into OT. Smart call.

Barnett had to gamble in 2000 because he had a mediocre team (the record belied the Buffs' skill that year) and Nebraska was very good.

Tucker didn't this year because even though he has a mediocre team, Nebraska is not very good, and supremely unconfident.

See you (CU?) in 2022.

Reactions: saluno22
I love the series because of the exciting games, but it's better when both teams are good. Let's see which program can make the most progress between now and 2022.

Yesterday also had parallels to 2000 in Lincoln when Barnett went for two — and Ochs to Green made it happen — only to see our healthy all-American kicker make a field goal to win it late.

The late TD pass to Minardi came with 47 seconds left to make the score 31-30. Yesterday's late TD came with 46 seconds left to make the score 31-30. I saw some Buff fans hold up two fingers in the stands yesterday. Alas, Tucker took the safe bet and rode momentum into OT. Smart call.

Barnett had to gamble in 2000 because he had a mediocre team (the record belied the Buffs' skill that year) and Nebraska was very good.

Tucker didn't this year because even though he has a mediocre team, Nebraska is not very good, and supremely unconfident.

See you (CU?) in 2022.

That was the infamous squib kick game. Could have walked away in Lincoln with an incredible comeback win, but someone thought a squib kick was a good idea (Bonehead Barnett). Had we kicked it deep, at best, he would have had to make a 50+ yarder assuming the offense got some 1st downs in those 40 seconds. My guess is the game would have ended on a hail marry attempt. Definitely getting some karma back for those days.

That was the infamous squib kick game. Could have walked away in Lincoln with an incredible comeback win, but someone thought a squib kick was a good idea (Bonehead Barnett). Had we kicked it deep, at best, he would have had to make a 50+ yarder assuming the offense got some 1st downs in those 40 seconds. My guess is the game would have ended on a hail marry attempt. Definitely getting some karma back for those days.
Karma, if you believe in it. I prefer to believe that Nebraska won back in the day because we knew how to, and the other teams, including Colorado, were always just a little intimidated, if not a lot. Now, we don't know how to win, and we're just not all that good to begin with. Hence, mediocre programs like Colorado — and Northern Illinois, Troy, Northwestern, Minnesota, Iowa, Purdue, etc. — beat us.

Enjoy the victory. Only 29 more and the Buffs are all even in the series.

Excuse us for now. We have to make sure that Northern Illinois win streak over us ends next Saturday.

Enjoy the victory. Only 29 more and the Buffs are all even in the series.

Excuse us for now. We have to make sure that Northern Illinois win streak over us ends next Saturday.
We don't care about evening the series because who cares what happened in the 60's and 70's anymore. I'm not looking at articles on microfiche.

We don't care about evening the series because who cares what happened in the 60's and 70's anymore. I'm not looking at articles on microfiche.
I hold it true, whate’er befall;
I feel it when I sorrow most;
‘Tis better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all.

Final thought @Scavenger
I really love the Buffs' non-con this year. Two heated rivalries and the renewal of that series with the AFA. Should be another fun one for you on Saturday. Wonder how many Zoomie fans will dot Folsom.

Reactions: saluno22
Final thought @Scavenger
I really love the Buffs' non-con this year. Two heated rivalries and the renewal of that series with the AFA. Should be another fun one for you on Saturday. Wonder how many Zoomie fans will dot Folsom.
I expect a capacity crowd. Attendance could rival the Nebraska game. It's a bit early (11 AM), but the drive from Northern Colorado springs area to Boulder is an easy one. They haven't been to Folsom in a long time and I know it's a big deal to go for the Springs people. Won't be as raucous as CU vs. CSU circa 2009 Folsom (54k), but it will be pretty lively. They have 2 weeks to prepare and see this game as a 'renewed' rivalry so it could be a lot more intense than people realize. I for one am not fond of this schedule of 3 of our main historical 'rivals' in the first 3 weeks. This team could be out of emotional energy by the time we hit Tempe on September 21st. 110 degrees and flat could get ugly.

Reactions: saluno22 and 9and4
I expect a capacity crowd. Attendance could rival the Nebraska game. It's a bit early (11 AM), but the drive from Northern Colorado springs area to Boulder is an easy one. They haven't been to Folsom in a long time and I know it's a big deal to go for the Springs people. Won't be as raucous as CU vs. CSU circa 2009 Folsom (54k), but it will be pretty lively. They have 2 weeks to prepare and see this game as a 'renewed' rivalry so it could be a lot more intense than people realize. I for one am not fond of this schedule of 3 of our main historical 'rivals' in the first 3 weeks. This team could be out of emotional energy by the time we hit Tempe on September 21st. 110 degrees and flat could get ugly.
Either way, I can see a way to four or five more wins for CU. You're right: nobody should play outdoor football in Arizona in September. Best wishes, Sko Buffs and Go Big Red.

Reactions: diego91
Just curious, what about the 80s, 90s and 2000s? We rolled you then most of the time as well...

I do.. I lived through them...Just because you didn’t that is your problem...

Ummm... Your "case" is weak shit. And you are an idiot if you think the wheels were falling off in 1999... That was a great season and NU was probably the best team in the country that year.

I guess you don't remember Osborne's first few years in the early 70's? I guess the wheels were falling off then too after Devaney's 2 titles.

BTW, the coach in 1999 was Osborne's hand picked successor so I guess blame Coach Tom.

Reactions: timnsun
Ummm... Your "case" is weak shit. And you are an idiot if you think the wheels were falling off in 1999... That was a great season and NU was probably the best team in the country that year.

I guess you don't remember Osborne's first few years in the early 70's? I guess the wheels were falling off then too after Devaney's 2 titles.

BTW, the coach in 1999 was Osborne's hand picked successor so I guess blame Coach Tom.
Agree. The wheels started to fall off against Colorado 2 years later. ‘99 was not the start of it, like @B1G RED RULES wants to believe.

Reactions: zrob
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT