ADVERTISEMENT

1991 Citrus Bowl

scarletred

Nebraska Legend
Jun 17, 2001
The Last time I can remember Nebraska Starting,( playing) a backup QB was the 1991 Citrus Bowl when Tom Hasse came in for ineffective Mike Grant when Micky Joseph was unable to start the bowl game because of a laceration on his leg during the Oklahoma game.

Tom Hasse threw for 209 14-21 and two TD's losing 45-21 to Co-National champ Georgia Tech.

Another game I remember when was Terry Luck came in for Dave Humm after Humm threw 4 interceptions and Tony Davis helped Nebraska beat the Gators 13-10.

Love to see Fife play a similar game like Hasse did throwing 14-21 and 2 TD, if he can manage that I feel we have a great chance unsetting Tennessee.

Reactions: baseball31ne
The Last time I can remember Nebraska Starting,( playing) a backup QB was the 1991 Citrus Bowl when Tom Hasse came in for ineffective Mike Grant when Micky Joseph was unable to start the bowl game because of a laceration on his leg during the Oklahoma game.

Tom Hasse threw for 209 14-21 and two TD's losing 45-21 to Co-National champ Georgia Tech.

Another game I remember when was Terry Luck came in for Dave Humm after Humm threw 4 interceptions and Tony Davis helped Nebraska beat the Gators 13-10.

Love to see Fife play a similar game like Hasse did throwing 14-21 and 2 TD, if he can manage that I feel we have a great chance unsetting Tennessee.

1982 Orange Bowl. Mark Mauer for Turner Gill. Still say we beat the Fridge and Clemson with Gill, and TO get's MNC number 1.

Was this game the beginning of the "All-White Uni" curse?

First time a Osborne team wore all-White in a game. But technically Devaney's 1965 team decided to wear all-white in the 1966 Orange bowl loss to Alabama 39-28 after wearing red pants for the first time on the road at Minnesota in 1963.

Reactions: N-sane
1982 Orange Bowl. Mark Mauer for Turner Gill. Still say we beat the Fridge and Clemson with Gill, and TO get's MNC number 1.

How did I ever forget that one,great catch... Believe we would have beaten Clemson with Gill playing.

Last edited:

That's funny, I too was thinking about Hasse & the 1991 bowl game when they named Fyfe the starter.

Also remember Steve Taylor coming in, in the 1986 Fiesta Bowl against Michigan & Harabugh.

After one series T.O. also benched Vince Ferragamo in favor of Luck in the 1975 Fiesta Bowl, which the Huskers lost to Arizona State. Lots of rumors as to why that happened.
(edited: I first said Sun Bowl - doh!)

Last edited:
let's hear some....I had not heard that before.
I don't know the real story, so please don't take this as someone posing as an "insider." But here are a few theories:

Luck had looked better in practice, and T.O. was considering starting him in the bowl game. When Vince threw an interception on the first series, he just decided to make the change.

Another version has it that Luck was supposed to get a couple of series in the first half, and Ferragamo wasn't happy with that plan. When he came to the bench after throwing an INT, T.O. tried to give him some guidance and Ferragamo went off on a "If you think you can win with someone else, go ahead and try" rant.

There was also a lot of talk about Ferragamo not getting along with teammates, and players rallying around Luck as an alternative.

Who knows if any of it is true. T.O. was never one to talk publicly about that kind of thing. Would have certainly made great message board fodder.

Old memories make poor records, but if I remember correctly Steve Runty started the 2nd half of the 1974 Cotton Bowl in place of David Humm to spark a win over Texas.

Tommy Armstrong played the whole Gator Bowl win against UGA a couple of years ago.

Brook Berringer came in for Tommie Frazier in the Orange Bowl win over Miami.

Brook Berringer came in for Tommie Frazier in the Orange Bowl win over Miami.

Well this maybe be true but Berringer started 8 games prior to the Orange bowl and I didn't consider him because of that very aspect.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT