ADVERTISEMENT

1989 Orange Bowl?

zrob

Walk On
May 22, 2005
Does anybody remember why CU didn't play #2 Miami for the '89 Championship? Instead they played #4 Notre Dame and Miami played 'Bama in the Sugar Bowl. I'm just curious, obviously Miami played in quite a few Orange Bowls and it seems like it would have been beneficial for both teams and the Orange Bowl to have that match-up...

*** Please note this is actually for the '89 season and the '90 Orange Bowl ***

Last edited:
Didn't have BCS back then and conference champions had contracts with certain bowl games.

Didn't have BCS back then and conference champions had contracts with certain bowl games.

Right, but Miami played in the '87, '88 and '91 Orange Bowls and played in the Cotton for '90 (Unranked Virginia played in the Sugar)... So the Big East had a contract with the Sugar for '89?

Does anybody remember why CU didn't play #2 Miami for the '89 Championship? Instead they played #4 Notre Dame and Miami played 'Bama in the Sugar Bowl. I'm just curious, obviously Miami played in quite a few Orange Bowls and it seems like it would have been beneficial for both teams and the Orange Bowl to have that match-up...
Notre Dame had already beaten Miami earlier in the year in the Catholics vs Convicts game. Notre Dame won the 1988 NC and played in the January 2, 1989 Orange Bowl against West Virginia to get it. Colorado played in the January 3, 1991 Orange Bowl to win the NC. 1989 Miami won the NC as we played them in the orange bowl and got hammered and shut out that game.

Last edited:
Notre Dame had already beaten Miami earlier in the year in the Catholics vs Convicts game. Notre Dame won the 1988 NC and played in the January 2, 1989 Orange Bowl against West Virginia to get it. Colorado played in the January 3, 1991 Orange Bowl to win the NC. 1989 Miami won the NC as we played them in the orange bowl and got hammered and shut out that game.

I meant '90 Orange Bowl for the '89 season... My bad.
But my question still remains. For '89 CU was ranked #1 and Miami #2 so I don't understand why they didn't play in the Orange Bowl.

If I remember correctly, the Sugar Bowl selected Miami so that the Orange Bowl couldn't.

Remember in those days, the negotiations for bowl bids was completed pretty early in the process. There wasn't many rules with regards to bowl selections outside of the negotiated bowl tie ins for the conference champ

Reactions: saluno22 and zrob
That would make more sense, thanks. What a train wreck the Bowls were back then as far as for figuring out who the champ was.
Yes and no. I kind of miss the madness of New Year's Day. A team could go into the day famed 4th or 5th and end up the national champions. HUskers almost did it in 1982 until Danny Ford cheated.

Reactions: huskerfan1414
Yes and no. I kind of miss the madness of New Year's Day. A team could go into the day famed 4th or 5th and end up the national champions. HUskers almost did it in 1982 until Danny Ford cheated.
I was at that game and that Clemson squad was dirtiest team I have ever seen in my life. Their offensive line were grabbing ahold the Husker DLine's face masks at the line of scrimmage and yanking them down into the turf all game long and were never called once for it, plus all of the late and illegal hits that they were also never penalized for but they called everything on Nebraska! The thing that really suck is, T.O. Got screwed out of back to back NC's in 81 and 82 Clemson and Penn St. Technically speaking, Osborne should've won 6 NC's during his tenure

Last edited:
Reactions: huskerfan66

Your mixing up years and bowl games.

-1988 season, 1989 bowl game ND played WV for the championship in the Fiesta. The fabulous 1985 husker recruiting class played its final game and got bitch slapped by Miami in the Orange Bowl. But we didn't get shut out. We scored a FG. Jimmy Johnsons last game as a Cane. Your correct this was the year of the Catholic vs convicts game. I believe the only time Johnson beat NU as a coach, though he did as a player in the cotton bowl.

-1989 season, 1990 bowl game. ND and Colorado was done deal basically before the Irish played Miami the last game of the season. ND was #1 & CU was #2 before ND lost to Miami. The orange bowl wanted ND and its fans to come to Miami. Don't really bring extra revenue into the city if your home teams playing in its bowl game. Plus the Big 8 was fed up of having to play the canes for titles on its home turf. New Year's Day of 1984 for Nu & 1988 for OU. Plus Miami had played in the 2 previous Orange Bowls heading into the 1989 season. Their players wanted to go to NOLA... We got bitch slapped that day by FSU and its QB who was suppose to be the next great one. Guy never did anything ever again.

-1990, 1991 bowl game. We played GTech, ND played CU both title games. GT was locked into the ACC. Split title year. Ugly college football year

-1991 season, 92 bowl game. We played Miami and this is the year the won the title (or co-title w Washington) and shut us out.

It always pissed me off that CU somehow was able to dodge Miami in their house two years in a row, when Nebraska was just cursed. No way in hell does CU split that 1990 championship had they had to play Miami.

Reactions: spinner4
It always pissed me off that CU somehow was able to dodge Miami in their house two years in a row, when Nebraska was just cursed. No way in hell does CU split that 1990 championship had they had to play Miami.
Down year in college football... CU and Georgia Tech?!

And we got them both.
As we did in 1991 with Miami and Washington. I remember the debates in 1990 and 1991 about who was the true championship and I thought it was pretty simple. Look at the games against us.

IMO, 1990's nation champion was GT. In 1990- we out played CU for 3 quarters and GT smacked us around the whole game. We were down to our 3rd string QB against GT but I don't think that mattered much. Joesph and Grant were both glorified RBs.

Ditto for 1991 - we out played U-Dub for 3 quarters but never had a shot against the U. Miami was clearly the better team.

Reactions: zrob and newAD
That would make more sense, thanks. What a train wreck the Bowls were back then as far as for figuring out who the champ was.

It was far better that way. The old New Years Bowl Day was my favorite day of the year, watching 3-4 bowl games on all the TV sets we owned at once. It was a huge event, with sometimes several bowls in play for the outcome. Gone and lost forever. I don't bother watching the bowls anymore because they all got watered down and moved to different days.

As we did in 1991 with Miami and Washington. I remember the debates in 1990 and 1991 about who was the true championship and I thought it was pretty simple. Look at the games against us.

IMO, 1990's nation champion was GT. In 1990- we out played CU for 3 quarters and GT smacked us around the whole game. We were down to our 3rd string QB against GT but I don't think that mattered much. Joesph and Grant were both glorified RBs.

Ditto for 1991 - we out played U-Dub for 3 quarters but never had a shot against the U. Miami was clearly the better team.

That UW is one of the most frustrating games I ever went to. 21-9 lead after 3 Qs. Then went to hell.

Reactions: zrob
ADVERTISEMENT