ADVERTISEMENT

1984 OU

Oklahoma was National champs the next year, they had lots of talent. Nebraska failing on 4th and 1 from was by far the biggest play. Great game sad outcome

Reactions: baseball31ne
The thing I remember about OU's goal line stand is that in those days Nebraska had a regular practice of using two receivers to bring in plays from the sideline. That meant that backups were on the field for some very critical plays. If Shane Swanson had been the lead blocker on this play, I really think Jeff Smith walks into the end zone. Instead, he had no chance:

Our defense was lights out that game. Watched the 78 game yesterday and thought the same thing. Some serious hitting.

That 78 game - OU fumbled 6 times. They only attempted 2 passes the entire game - completing zero.

That 78 game - OU fumbled 6 times. They only attempted 2 passes the entire game - completing zero.
They actually fumbled ten times. I think we recovered either 5 or 6. There's one play in the first half, where we hit billy sims so hard. He's in the huddle in a lot of pain, you can tell, but he stayed in there. Hell of a back he was.

The thing I remember about OU's goal line stand is that in those days Nebraska had a regular practice of using two receivers to bring in plays from the sideline. That meant that backups were on the field for some very critical plays. If Shane Swanson had been the lead blocker on this play, I really think Jeff Smith walks into the end zone. Instead, he had no chance:

Sprint to the pylon and you score

According to Switzer he liked calling passes but the receivers came out of the huddle laughing and tipped the play.

They actually fumbled ten times. I think we recovered either 5 or 6. There's one play in the first half, where we hit billy sims so hard. He's in the huddle in a lot of pain, you can tell, but he stayed in there. Hell of a back he was.

Billy Sims is hands down my favorite Sooner. Loved watching him run for the Lions (not Lions fan).

Billy Sims is hands down my favorite Sooner. Loved watching him run for the Lions (not Lions fan).
Dude was a more physical version of Barry Sanders. Billy if not for serious knee injury may of been up there with Others like E Smith and B Sanders in production. Barry also would never of been drafted by the Lions if Billy career was not shortened. Who’ would of cashed in on Barry if that would of played out.?

Reactions: tpmcg
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT