ADVERTISEMENT

1981 - 1985 - 1990 and 2015 Iowa vs. Nebraska at Lincoln

1958 - Last time Nebraska opened 3-6 and the Hawkeyes were awarded a national trophy that season, including a Rose Bowl win.

In his first game at Iowa in 1981, Kirk Ferentz, an offensive line coach, witnessed a 10-7 win over Nebraska. He is 2-4 in games against Nebraska, with his last win a 41-17 win at Lincoln in 2013 (Iowa's last visit).

1985 - thirty years ago, Iowa was ranked #1 and beat #2 Michigan that season. Jim Harbaugh is now head coach at Michigan. Harbaugh was the Michigan QB.

1990 - Colorado rose to the top, including a victory in Lincoln on the road to the title with GA Tech. Iowa won the Big Ten and a trip to the Rose Bowl in 1990. Rivals have won in Lincoln in root to success ...

2009 - The highest finish for Kirk Ferentz at Iowa to date, with a #7 ranking. They did beat GA Tech to win first Orange Bowl.

11506601.jpeg

2015 - Iowa vs. Nebraska at Lincoln

Iowa has done very well in 2015. The major difference in 2015 ...

To me, he (Iowa QB C.J.Beathard) is the difference from last year to this year. I said that this week. I thought they ran the ball well last year, but they weren’t getting the plays out of the quarterback. He makes a lot of plays; he is just slippery enough to hurt you. He’s making a lot of plays and not turning the ball over,” said third year Purdue coach Darrell Hazell.

1958 - Iowa played 10 games and won 8. I wonder how many National Championships Nebraska could claim by only having to win 80% of games played.

1981 was a nice upset win surrounded by 42-7 & 57-0 ass kickings in 1980 & 82. Simply put, they caught Nebraska looking ahead to Florida State, Penn State & Auburn. Iowa was able to parlay fall camp and Nebraska looking ahead into a 3 point week one win . Iowa would lose to Iowa State the following week - is this where Ferentz learned this behavior?
BTW Kirks only win as a head coach (1-5 vs Nebraska) was the 38-17 win against a Nebraska team starting a backup QB after a week of turmoil including many rumors of a coaching change. Iowa managed a whooping 280 yards of offense that day.
Hayden Fry would finish 1-3 vs Nebraska with the lone upset win. Together they account for all of Iowas 20% winning pct against Nebraska in the modern era. FYI - 20% is horrible.

The 1985 Iowa team finished with 2 losses - the fact that this team is the one against which all Iowa teams are measured is pretty pathetic. This speaks to the fact that Nebraska and Iowa are on much different levels historically.

The 1990 Iowa team finished with 4 losses - something that Nebraska just fired their last coach for accomplishing 7 times in 7 seasons. Once again speaking to the fact that Nebraska is on a different tier.

I pretty sure that nobody outside of Iowa thinks that the 2009 Iowa team was worth a chit. A favorable matchup against a mediocre Georgia Tech team allowed Iowa to salvage the season after a promising start.

ADVERTISEMENT