ADVERTISEMENT

1917... know I’m late to the party, but...

Some excellent choices. I would add:
Paths of Glory--yes, it was released in 1957 and is in black and white, but Stanley Kubrick directed it and it featured Kirk Douglas in his first major starring role. It's based on a book with the same title. The movie was so powerful that it was banned near U.S. military installations and in all of France.
A trio of Aussie films: 1) The Odd, Angry Shot, which in many ways is the best of the Vietnam War movies; 2) Gallipoli, which deals with the World War I campaign of that name; 3) Breaker Morant, which is set in the Boer War
Billy Budd--this is based on a novella by Herman Melville, was directed by Peter Ustinov, and stars Ustinov, Robert Ryan, and Terence Stamp

Rambo 3
Wonder Woman(very few people knew before watching that movie that she actually won WWI for the Allies)

Braveheart was epic. Liked Troy. The Patriot with Mel Gibson another good war movie.
The problem with Patriot is that so much of the movie is complete fabrication, or bullshit if you please. There was no such occurrence as the British burning of the church with the worshipers locked inside. The Germans did that in Poland. There was nothing even resembling the blowing up of the British fleet that actually happened. Gibson has the American penchant (Hollywood) for taking history and adding over emotional fantasy to sell it to American audiences (like the last battle scene in Fury. Complete crap.
Mendes, more than any director before him displayed complete authenticity in a war movie. From the uniforms, the differences in the construction of the British and German trenches, even to contrasting the mud of Ypres to the white chalky soil and trenches of the Somme where the attack is to take place. Mendes definitely got the memo of what a corpse looks like in various stages of decay. Everything was spot on.

Brad Pitt was awesome as "War Daddy". Hell of an edge. Usually not a Shia Lebouf fan but he was real good as "Bible". Loved the tank battle with one of the last remaining Tiger tanks for the Nazis. The Germans made one hell of a tank.

You betcha, those Tigers kicked ass & took names.

Reactions: HBK4life
I thought is was a little overrated. The two best movies that I saw in 2019, were Once Upon A Time in Hollywood, and Parasite. If you can stand subtitles, Parasite is worth the watch.

The problem with Patriot is that so much of the movie is complete fabrication, or bullshit if you please. There was no such occurrence as the British burning of the church with the worshipers locked inside. The Germans did that in Poland. There was nothing even resembling the blowing up of the British fleet that actually happened. Gibson has the American penchant (Hollywood) for taking history and adding over emotional fantasy to sell it to American audiences (like the last battle scene in Fury. Complete crap.
Mendes, more than any director before him displayed complete authenticity in a war movie. From the uniforms, the differences in the construction of the British and German trenches, even to contrasting the mud of Ypres to the white chalky soil and trenches of the Somme where the attack is to take place. Mendes definitely got the memo of what a corpse looks like in various stages of decay. Everything was spot on.
This

ven to contrasting the mud of Ypres to the white chalky soil and trenches of the Somme where the attack is to take place.
250Vert: The Battle of the Somme occurred in 1916 and is in central France. The attack that is to take place in "1917" is in northern France, where there is indeed chalky white soil. But overall your point is well taken: Mendes did a fine job in recreating realistic conditions, though he needed more rats! Millions and millions of them along the Western Front!

250Vert: The Battle of the Somme occurred in 1916 and is in central France. The attack that is to take place in "1917" is in northern France, where there is indeed chalky white soil. But overall your point is well taken: Mendes did a fine job in recreating realistic conditions, though he needed more rats! Millions and millions of them along the Western Front!
I cannot imagine living in those conditions, knowing that Haig was going to keep ordering attacks in his strategy of attrition. I was surprised the story line involved an attack by only a regimental size unit. I was under the impression that attacks involved more men. At the July 16' attack at the Somme [the big one you reference] the estimates are that somewhere around 15k British soldiers were shot down during the first 20 minutes of the attack. The next morning the Times in London reported that Haig thought the offensive was "going well." My God. Attacks on the Somme [though not a large as the opening July attack] went on till winter I believe and then activity picked up again in the spring. To this day farmers are hitting mines occasionally.

I thought is was a little overrated. The two best movies that I saw in 2019, were Once Upon A Time in Hollywood, and Parasite. If you can stand subtitles, Parasite is worth the watch.

I thought Parasite was good, but not the life-changing movie that many have reviewed it as.

I really want to see The Farewell, Pain and Glory, and Jo Jo Rabbit, but honestly the best movie I saw in 2019 was "Ford vs Ferrari." I'm not a gear head type at all, but really enjoyed that movie. Better Than One Upon a Time in Hollywood to me.

Reactions: Chuck003
I thought Parasite was good, but not the life-changing movie that many have reviewed it as.

I really want to see The Farewell, Pain and Glory, and Jo Jo Rabbit, but honestly the best movie I saw in 2019 was "Ford vs Ferrari." I'm not a gear head type at all, but really enjoyed that movie. Better Than One Upon a Time in Hollywood to me.
Right up there for me as well. Bale and Damon were great in it. Spot on. You don't have to be a gear head to like this one.

Reactions: Hoosker Du
If you've never seen "Logan Lucky," give it a watch. Very entertaining. On Prime for free right now. "Midnight Cowboy" is on Netflix right now, I believe. If you can find "Nightcrawler," it's very good too. As is "Drive."

What I like on Netflix right now..
Zodiac, American Beauty, Gangs of New York, The Irishman, Hell or High Water, Dallas Buyer's Club, The Dawn Wall, Echo in the Canyon, The Squid and the Whale, The King's Speech, War Horse, Milk.

Free on Prime that's good right now..
Raging Bull, One October, Silence of the Lambs, The Falcon and the Snowman, The Man Who Skied Down Everest, Ladybird, One Child Nation, The Great Escape, The Last Waltz, Almost Famous, Meru, Love and Mercy.

Good pay for movies on Prime right now..
Parasite, Upon a Time in Hollywood, Joker, Ford vs Ferrari, Won't You Be My Neighbor, Free Solo, Spotlight, Good Night and Good Luck, Dope, The Imitation Game.

Pay Movies on Prime that I want to See..
The Lighthouse, The Farewell, Pain and Glory, The Last Black Man in San Francisco.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chuck003
A movie that I absolutely love, but hadn't seen since I saw it at the theater..."Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri." I rented it again.

If you've never seen it, it is well worth renting on Prime. Both very funny and gut-wrenching at the same time. And if you haven't seen it since it was in the theaters, it is soooo worth a second watch..

I did watch it... liked it... Woody especially

I can't remember the last time I saw a movie that so many great characters in it. Woody Harrelson's character. Frances McDormand's character. Sam Rockwell's character. Even Red, the billboard salesman's character. The movie and characters won a slew of awards.

Mrs Sparky & I went to see 1917 this week. Not in my top 5 but definitely in the top 10. The cinematography and setting were fantastic. Little slow at times but good non the less
1. The Longest Day
2. Saving Private Ryan
3. Patton
4. Midway (ties between the first one & the re
5. D Day

Reactions: tpmcg and bigboxes
I cannot imagine living in those conditions, knowing that Haig was going to keep ordering attacks in his strategy of attrition. I was surprised the story line involved an attack by only a regimental size unit. I was under the impression that attacks involved more men. At the July 16' attack at the Somme [the big one you reference] the estimates are that somewhere around 15k British soldiers were shot down during the first 20 minutes of the attack. The next morning the Times in London reported that Haig thought the offensive was "going well." My God. Attacks on the Somme [though not a large as the opening July attack] went on till winter I believe and then activity picked up again in the spring. To this day farmers are hitting mines occasionally.
How do you know this stuff?:confused:

My top five would probably be these.

-Platoon- Tom Berenger as Barnes. Dude was a menace.
-Saving Private Ryan- Tom Hanks can do no wrong
-The Bridge Over River Kwai- An exception of mine for movie with an accent.
-The Great Escape- Steve "The Cooler King" McQueen (also as an aside, Reservoir Dogs had the funniest line ever when describing some dudes "manhood". "That cat was like Charles Bronson in The Great Escape. He was digging tunnels!"
Full Metal Jacket- Lee Ermey at his finest

I probably left a few out, but I love all those movies.
That's a great list. I'd like to include In Harm's Way and We were Soldiers.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT