ADVERTISEMENT

1917... know I’m late to the party, but...

I enjoy good war movies, but I am an ugly American who generally don't like movies with an accent. This one was good, but I didn't think it was fantastic like every critic was saying. Much like actors often take roles that are straight up Oscar bait, I thought they included several scenes in the movie just to show off their wonderful cinematography. I felt it was pretty blatant Oscar bait. The movie was like a less entertaining version of The Warriors. Have to get from point A to point B without getting killed. That is the basic plot of the movie. I may have oversimplified it. Most that like war movies will enjoy it though.

I enjoy good war movies, but I am an ugly American who generally don't like movies with an accent. This one was good, but I didn't think it was fantastic like every critic was saying. Much like actors often take roles that are straight up Oscar bait, I thought they included several scenes in the movie just to show off their wonderful cinematography. I felt it was pretty blatant Oscar bait. The movie was like a less entertaining version of The Warriors. Have to get from point A to point B without getting killed. That is the basic plot of the movie. I may have oversimplified it. Most that like war movies will enjoy it though.
My top 5 all time war movies.
1. Patton
2. Saving Private Ryan
3. Platoon
4. Fury
5. Full Metal Jacket

Reactions: Mr. Bookman
I enjoyed it, though I expected to be wowed, and I wasn't other than the cinematography. I did have a problem making out some of the dialogue with the accents.

Compared to most Hollywood retreads this was way better than most.

Thanks for the reviews. I was wanting to see it but the closer it got and the better the reviews were by critics, I knew I would probably be disappointed. Glad I didn't go now.

Thanks for the reviews. I was wanting to see it but the closer it got and the better the reviews were by critics, I knew I would probably be disappointed. Glad I didn't go now.
Non war movie...The Gentlemen was a great movie if you wanna see a good new release. Mcconaughey and Colin Farrell were incredible. Funny and bloody. Starts slow but a great movie. Hugh Grant was good as well. Lots of twists

Last edited:
Great list..Fury was sooo good.

Inglorious Bastards is one of my all time faves, war or otherwise. Loved that movie.
Brad Pitt was awesome as "War Daddy". Hell of an edge. Usually not a Shia Lebouf fan but he was real good as "Bible". Loved the tank battle with one of the last remaining Tiger tanks for the Nazis. The Germans made one hell of a tank.

Reactions: bshirt73
My top five would probably be these.

-Platoon- Tom Berenger as Barnes. Dude was a menace.
-Saving Private Ryan- Tom Hanks can do no wrong
-The Bridge Over River Kwai- An exception of mine for movie with an accent.
-The Great Escape- Steve "The Cooler King" McQueen (also as an aside, Reservoir Dogs had the funniest line ever when describing some dudes "manhood". "That cat was like Charles Bronson in The Great Escape. He was digging tunnels!"
Full Metal Jacket- Lee Ermey at his finest

I probably left a few out, but I love all those movies.

Cinematography was incredible but was a little too slow for me. Hard time understanding with the accents. I'm more of a WW2 fan.
Plenty of WW2 movies out there, but a lot fewer WW1 movies. Going out to the movies isn't really my thing but hoping I'll get to see 1917 in theaters.

Reactions: bigboxes
My top 5 all time war movies.
1. Patton
2. Saving Private Ryan
3. Platoon
4. Fury
5. Full Metal Jacket
All those are good but if we're doing a category as broad as war movies, I'd have to add Braveheart, Troy, Kingdom of Heaven, etc. Around the WW2 time period, Cross of Iron is very good too.

Brad Pitt was awesome as "War Daddy". Hell of an edge. Usually not a Shia Lebouf fan but he was real good as "Bible". Loved the tank battle with one of the last remaining Tiger tanks for the Nazis. The Germans made one hell of a tank.
Fury was a great 20 minute short...the first 20 were really good...the scene with a bulldozer pushing german bodies into a mass grave makes you realize the insanity of war...men going insane all over the place...and then it got stupid...the last 45 minutes was some of the worst movie making I have seen.

Reactions: 250vertical
Empire of the Sun. This scene alone is worth the price of admission. Also, for those who havent seen it, the kid is Christian Bale.

Reactions: Mr. Bookman
1917 was just okay from a story and action standpoint. But was well worth watching just for the cinematography, which was very out of the ordinary. My biggest gripe would be the baby scene. It really slowed everything down and went on too long.

1917 was just okay from a story and action standpoint. But was well worth watching just for the cinematography, which was very out of the ordinary. My biggest gripe would be the baby scene. It really slowed everything down and went on too long.

The baby scene is commonly sited as a weird spot in the movie. What was the purpose? A few others were where did British soldiers come from in the scene where the German pilot stabs the guy? Why didn't he hear them coming and why wasn't he more surprised when they were there? Why didn't the leader of the group send a map reader or two when he let him off? Another I read was why didn't the British just drop the letter on the front since they owned the sky? The river trip was not realistic, falls in and comes out with no scratches.

That being said, trench warfare was brutal. Anyone been to the WWI museum in KC? Loved it, twice.

Reactions: vs540husker
I favor SPR. That 30 minute battle scene of the Normandy landing is one of my favorites. Just crank up the sound and you are there. Neighbors hate me though. :D

yeah, the first scene in SPR is probably the best battle seen ever made.

Thin Red Line is just so visually stunning though and IMO that dichotomy between the beauty of life and the ugliness of war made it quite impactful.

1. The Deer Hunter
2. Saving Private Ryan
3. Das Boot
4. Dr. Strangelove
5. Inglorious Bastards

I thought 1917 was overrated. Liked Dunkirk much better.

I thought 1917 was overrated. Liked Dunkirk much better.

I liked both movies. Was underwhelmed slightly in both of them. But we have to remember them for what they are. British. That is ok. Sometimes, it is good to see things from different perspectives. I loved the one shot take in 1917. The movie still made me think.

I haven't seen all the movies on the nominated list. They nominate way too many nowadays. Five should be max. Usually less are actually even considered for best picture. But ten is way too many. They are just trying to include everyone to the point that it's really just a "participation ribbon". I still can't believe that The Shape of Water won best picture. Halfway through, I thought the movie had potential. But then the lead character just had to have inter specie sex with the creature from the black lagoon. I'm no conservative, but that still was a WTF movie.

I liked both movies. Was underwhelmed slightly in both of them. But we have to remember them for what they are. British. That is ok. Sometimes, it is good to see things from different perspectives. I loved the one shot take in 1917. The movie still made me think.

I haven't seen all the movies on the nominated list. They nominate way too many nowadays. Five should be max. Usually less are actually even considered for best picture. But ten is way too many. They are just trying to include everyone to the point that it's really just a "participation ribbon". I still can't believe that The Shape of Water won best picture. Halfway through, I thought the movie had potential. But then the lead character just had to have inter specie sex with the creature from the black lagoon. I'm no conservative, but that still was a WTF movie.

You know what I really liked about The Shape of Water? How the soundtrack was so good, and went so well with the movie. Yeah, it was pretty out there, but so was Hell Boy, which I believe Guillermo Del Toro was also pretty heavily involved with. I sorta liked both of them.

I expected a lot more. Didn't care for the long continuous shot and like others mentioned they were some plot holes that could have been better thought out. When it was down to just the one guy I'm pretty sure they would have found two more to go along because of the importance of the mission.

Top five in no particular order are Saving Private Ryan, Band of Brothers, Fury, Patton, and hacksaw Ridge.

Check out they shall not grow old by Peter Jackson from 2018 it was an amazing World War 1 documentary I stayed and watched the last 30 minutes of credits after it was over

"Warriors...come out to play-yay..."

Reactions: resdog851
All good comments....
- I went to 1917 last night by myself because my wife is def a HALLMARK girl.... I thought there WERE a few plot holes but overcome by intensity... I literally jumped several times in the movie
- I loved how the guy went from resenting they mission to being totally in
- I was struck, as someone who has never been in military, how close to death you are at all times and maybe the numbness of it... I don’t mean to be presumptive to you guys who have fought
-I too loved They Shall not grow old... specially THE MOMENT where it slowed down and went to color

Reactions: drubendall
Non war movie...The Gentlemen was a great movie if you wanna see a good new release. Mcconaughey and Colin Farrell were incredible. Funny and bloody. Starts slow but a great movie. Hugh Grant was good as well. Lots of twists
Just saw this and agree!
The beginning was like a flipping Lincoln Commercial, funny spin by Director Guy Richie...

Reactions: HBK4life
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT