ADVERTISEMENT

"19" Commits at the moment

big red22

Offensive Coordinator
Dec 15, 2003
I don't think our recruiting has been poor, but I do feel "19" commits is not going to cut it. Let's say we add Isaiah Simmons and Lamar Jackson that is "21" Tanner L makes 22. I'm sorry, but anything short of 24 recruits is absolutely unacceptable.

I get it Quality not Quantity... They should know they need to max out this class. Well I think this staff needs to add 4 more bodies in this class, and I don't see it happening!

Please tell me there are more recruits out there, other then the 2 I mentioned above?

Reason for concern please read this post from last month

https://nebraska.forums.rivals.com/...oday-on-nebraska-football.93495/#post-1598568

I, too, hope the goalposts have not been moved and we expect to max out this class.

I don't think we'll have to worry though. We don't know everything and I have a feeling Riley and Co. probably have been talking to more recruits than we might have heard about.

No inside info whatsoever but I believe there will be a couple last minute offers that go out. Will they be guys that excite everybody? No. But could they add depth their last few years here? Absolutely. Least that's what I'm hoping for.

I don't think our recruiting has been poor, but I do feel "19" commits is not going to cut it. Let's say we add Isaiah Simmons and Lamar Jackson that is "21" Tanner L makes 22. I'm sorry, but anything short of 24 recruits is absolutely unacceptable.

I get it Quality not Quantity... They should know they need to max out this class. Well I think this staff needs to add 4 more bodies in this class, and I don't see it happening!

Please tell me there are more recruits out there, other then the 2 I mentioned above?

https://nebraska.forums.rivals.com/...oday-on-nebraska-football.93495/#post-1598568
I don't think 24 is an available number of scholarship. I understand that Williams son gets a ship as a transfer WR. I think there is one other scholarship committed so that puts the number at 22 that can be filled.

Is it a TE not named Noah Fant

You guys are nuts, the kid is worth an offer. Noah has made a lot of people's buttholes sore because he didn't commit to us, but he's a better prospect than some of you are giving him credit for. I hope Noah has a change of heart and bleeds Husker red by the time signing day comes and goes.

Unacceptable? Interesting. You'll be even more concerned that recent data supports the following: If you aren't consistently recruiting in the top 15 classes, you won't win a national championship. As long as we're defining what's unacceptable, we should start with that metric instead. This way, anyone who doesn't "want the goalposts moved" won't have to do any hand wringing. Failure is guaranteed.

Or, we could, you know, trust the coaches know more than we do.

More important quality over quantity.

Last edited:
I, too, hope the goalposts have not been moved and we expect to max out this class.

I don't think we'll have to worry though. We don't know everything and I have a feeling Riley and Co. probably have been talking to more recruits than we might have heard about.
I hope you are right. No reason to not fill the class considering all the lack of depth and talent we supposedly have. A 30-ish ranked class in year two is not going to do any favors for this coaching staff moving forward.

That was one of the biggest forms of criticism against the former staff - not filling classes. But here we are about 6-7 recruits missing. And a ranking that leaves much to be desired.

It is true that not filling classes was one of the beefs with the former staff, but it's pretty clear that they were misled in this instance. If LJax decides to go elsewhere or we have any last minute decommits this class will be disappointing, but if they do add LJax & Simmons I'll be happy with the class. There's a few good local athletes that might be getting an offer to round everything out too.

Reactions: GretnaShawn
That was one of the biggest forms of criticism against the former staff - not filling classes. But here we are about 6-7 recruits missing. And a ranking that leaves much to be desired.
You're missing my point. To say we must have at least 24 is good only if the final 5 are more than just warm bodies. If all they are is warm bodies, filling the class is meaningless. We shouldn't fill just to fill. That is not a formula for success.

If we have a plan for 24 that includes decent talent, do it. If not, don't waste the scholarships on lesser talent just to hit the magic number.

I don't know why the downers are talking about goal posts moving.

No one here expected we would pull in a Top 10 class. Most everyone here has been expecting it to roll in Top 25 and maybe up towards Top 15-17 if we were lucky. For quite some time, no goal posts have been moved that weren't already set months and months ago.

Some folks have gotten carried away with the potential that some 10 players on the team could potentially move on in addition to the seniors, a number that we are nowhere near now. And then the associated rumblings of this class is going to be near 28 because of that. Since 10 players haven't moved on, I don't see a reason why this is going to be a Callahan-esque 2005 class with 30 peeps in it.

Ending up at 21 or 22-ish recruits should be fine, there are still 1 or 2 bodies that we may yet offer in-state that would be worthy.

Thanks for the perspective, jflores, I have said previously as well that it is unfair to apply someone else's placement of the goal posts to the entire fan base. This talk of moving goal posts is ridiculous. Who on here said we would be top 10? The only ones squawking about that seem to be the ones saying that's what we NEED...

Sure it would be great to be top 10 but who promised that and is now backtracking? No one I know of...

In addition, HTO has been saying forever, probably since before the spring game, that this class would be pretty solid, but it was 2017 where we'd really start seeing the benefits of the relationships being built.

People chose to poo poo that and just expect that this year is going to be the year and are disappointed that this team hasn't followed other examples of first year bumps.

In addition, HTO has been saying forever, probably since before the spring game, that this class would be pretty solid, but it was 2017 where we'd really start seeing the benefits of the relationships being built.

People chose to poo poo that and just expect that this year is going to be the year and are disappointed that this team hasn't followed other examples of first year bumps.
Yep. Certain posters refused to accept that this class wasn't going to be as good as next year's class. Certain posters said it had to start this year. It would be great if it did, but this class, while solid, isn't what next year promises to be.

If next year's class doesn't impress, I will apologize to a lot of people that I have scolded for being impatient... I will have it coming to me.

Yep. Certain posters refused to accept that this class wasn't going to be as good as next year's class. Certain posters said it had to start this year. It would be great if it did, but this class, while solid, isn't what next year promises to be.

If next year's class doesn't impress, I will apologize to a lot of people that I have scolded for being impatient... I will have it coming to me.

A finish of Lamar Jackson and Isaiah Simmons would be great. If we roll into 2017 and nab Key Jr, Holmes, Gebbia and their pseudo Calabasas boy McQuitty on their next soon to visit trip, we'll be off to a screamin' start.

It might be up for "best series of recruits" Nebraska has nabbed in a stretch in a while, if ever. Especially considering Farniok would be the first one of those particular highly ranked dominoes.

I don't know why the downers are talking about goal posts moving.

No one here expected we would pull in a Top 10 class. Most everyone here has been expecting it to roll in Top 25 and maybe up towards Top 15-17 if we were lucky. For quite some time, no goal posts have been moved that weren't already set months and months ago.

Some folks have gotten carried away with the potential that some 10 players on the team could potentially move on in addition to the seniors, a number that we are nowhere near now. And then the associated rumblings of this class is going to be near 28 because of that. Since 10 players haven't moved on, I don't see a reason why this is going to be a Callahan-esque 2005 class with 30 peeps in it.

Ending up at 21 or 22-ish recruits should be fine, there are still 1 or 2 bodies that we may yet offer in-state that would be worthy.
Did not say or indicate anything about rankings. Fill the class. One or two might be fine for a walk on but let's not pretend that not filling classes set us back and was properly scrutinized under previous staff.
As I said, However, I think they are probably in talks with players we have not heard about yet.

Did not say or indicate anything about rankings. Fill the class. One or two might be fine for a walk on but let's not pretend that not filling classes set us back and was properly scrutinized under previous staff.
As I said, However, I think they are probably in talks with players we have not heard about yet.

You have to fill with quality. They are probably shopping some late offers. There is still speculation some in-state guys might receive one (Engelhaupt, Matthew, the kid out Central, etc).

If they can get someone they want, by all means, add two players to the roster. But don't fill just to fill.

Reactions: timnsun
You have to fill with quality. They are probably shopping some late offers. There is still speculation some in-state guys might receive one (Engelhaupt, Matthew, the kid out Central, etc).

If they can get someone they want, by all means, add two players to the roster. But don't fill just to fill.
I know.
There is no reason to not fill the class with quality. And no I am not talking 5 or even 4 star recruits.
Look we are going to get Simmons. Probably Jackson.
I already believe engelhaupt was a miss in this class from the get go and not filling will only increase that mistake.
You are assuming I want to fill the class with warm bodies which is not true. I expect our staff to build relationships and read players and act accordingly. They should not have to scramble like our last staff did and was properly scrutinized for.
To finish, again I will say, I believe they are probably in talks with some players that we don't know about.

I know.
There is no reason to not fill the class with quality. And no I am not talking 5 or even 4 star recruits.
Look we are going to get Simmons. Probably Jackson.
I already believe engelhaupt was a miss in this class from the get go and not filling will only increase that mistake.
You are assuming I want to fill the class with warm bodies which is not true. I expect our staff to build relationships and read players and act accordingly. They should not have to scramble like our last staff did and was properly scrutinized for.
To finish, again I will say, I believe they are probably in talks with some players that we don't know about.

I think there is probably less of scramble than imagined. Certainly no one likes to get left at the alter, so we have one schollie open that wasn't planned.

I seem to remember Clouse having talked to Riley and reported out that the "target" number was something like 21-23 this year. It took everyone kind of aback, because message board fandom assumed we'd bop up in the 27 or 28 range with attrition.

Edit: not argumentative, just furthering the convo.

Fitz is not a huge loss. Seems like Fitz may have changed his mind again, but a kid who some (off the record) have called "flakey" would be prone to do that. I always wondered why Mich. State didn't go after him-- doesn't mean that he won't be a good player down the road. But in any event, looking at what we have and what may be coming in 2017, WR is not a position of need. I like what we have coming. We've got two potentially great ones still to come with Simmons and Jackson (hopefully). The OL recruits look great and we've got three pass rushers in the fold. There's a lot to like here!

There could still be more attrition after spring ball. And guys could get kicked off the team for off-the-field issues before next season. You never know. With Simmons looking like a Clemson lean, we may only finish with a class of 20. That's a bit disappointing.

A finish of Lamar Jackson and Isaiah Simmons would be great. If we roll into 2017 and nab Key Jr, Holmes, Gebbia and their pseudo Calabasas boy McQuitty on their next soon to visit trip, we'll be off to a screamin' start.

It might be up for "best series of recruits" Nebraska has nabbed in a stretch in a while, if ever. Especially considering Farniok would be the first one of those particular highly ranked dominoes.
Why would Gebbia sit behind POB for 3 years?

Why would Gebbia sit behind POB for 3 years?
Not every person out there is afraid of competition.

Edit: I would also add that the top teams in the nation seem to be very deep with talented players… Why would the back ups want to sit behind the starters? It happens all the time. I'm sure Ohio State was pretty happy they had the quarterbacks that they had on their roster… Injuries happen all the time and the back up becomes the starter. It is not a foregone conclusion him that he would sit on the bench for three years.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT