ADVERTISEMENT

1620 USC this morning...

JohnRossEwing

Assistant Head Coach
Jul 4, 2013
The opening segment was interesting, I can't link it right now but they had some interesting things to say about the staff and how they were/are dealing with players.

I would like to know what they said. Can anyone give some cliffs notes?

Damon Benning has some interesting thoughts and stuff

Last edited:
Sorry, I can't link it...seems like they were saying the staff needs to not worry about being so "nice" and needs to use more "tough love" and hold players accountable.

Reactions: cecilB
Sounds interesting and potentially good. The stuff I mean. Such detailed good stuff can really resonate with fans. Sounds fantastic. No. Sounds good.

Reactions: leodisflowers
DB also said they should probably not accept a bowl invite because "the table needs to be cleared off"

DB also said they should probably not accept a bowl invite because "the table needs to be cleared off"
Meaning, a bowl game will delay some much needed "roster management". The flip side of that is that they can accomplish that by having bowl practices that give young players more reps while making the guys on the outside looking in that there's no need to show up for spring football. Personally I would hope that they accept a bowl invite. Not having bowl practices is a problem for young player development especially young O linemen.

He made it clear from re-watching the game that certain guys on the tea,he said 30%, were not doing what they should be doing.

Meaning, a bowl game will delay some much needed "roster management". The flip side of that is that they can accomplish that by having bowl practices that give young players more reps while making the guys on the outside looking in that there's no need to show up for spring football. Personally I would hope that they accept a bowl invite. Not having bowl practices is a problem for young player development especially young O linemen.

It will be very interesting to see who is let go....and, who will be filling in their shoes. For a program that already lacked depth we are going to be asking quite a few young guys to step up in some key spots. Essentially it could be getting worse before it gets better....and I'm not sure Riley can make it thru that.

While checking that out, also listen to the podcast from about 8:25 to 8:35 am. Very interesting caller about "mental wiring" and his opinions about TA.

Reactions: TheBeav815
It will be very interesting to see who is let go....and, who will be filling in their shoes. For a program that already lacked depth we are going to be asking quite a few young guys to step up in some key spots. Essentially it could be getting worse before it gets better....and I'm not sure Riley can make it thru that.

I wouldn't be so sure about that. If it comes out that players have been laying down and not doing what needs to be done and Riley gets rid of them and brings in guys that WANT to succeed, I believe the majority of people will ride it out while he tries to get the roster fixed.

Reactions: KaptainQ
I like DB but that opinion absolutely sucks. I understand that he has a show and must fill airtime with strong opinions, but I saw nothing out of this teams efforts over the last several weeks to suggest that we need to simply tell the seniors to pound sand because the Huskers were 5-7 and they didnt work hard enough. If offered, be grateful for the opportunity and get after it. Respect the seniors and develop the kids. Trim the fat in the offseason....the right way, not because fans and former players are bitter about a bad season and want to subconsciously punish the team by suggesting they shouldnt except a bowl bid because they dont deserve it.

Sorry, I can't link it...seems like they were saying the staff needs to not worry about being so "nice" and needs to use more "tough love" and hold players accountable.

Some players have already left the program.

How many of these were from "tough love" by the new coaching staff?:

1. Johnny Stanton
2. Jordan Stevenson
3. Glenn Irons
4. Leroy Alexander
5. Jariah Tolbert
6. David Santos
7. Matt Finnin
8. Jaevon Walton
9. Kevin Gladney
10. Sam Burtch (Injury related?)
11. Mauro Bondi (chose to forgo final year)

and there's
Adrienne Talan (Still on team, but not practicing but I don't know why... grades?)

Could be missing even more but that's who popped into my head, but aren't quite a few of those at least partially due to some tough love?

So now that the team is off the two-game winning streak, we are back on the "the players are deliberately losing because of Pelini" train?

Convenient for the coaches I guess.

We will be better off without the dead weight that does not want to do what it takes to get better. I am sure Youngstown has plenty of openings.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT