ADVERTISEMENT

1620 the zone Benning on LP

newAD

Head Coach
Oct 14, 2007
Omaha
Benning is talking about him right now. Started at about 7:28 or so, so I'm guessing the 3rd podcast for the day when up. Never heard Benning about to come to tears on the air. Pretty moving.

Sad sorry commentary....

No part of L.P.'s being can be salvaged. He is a long ago lost cause. If the allegations or true, he'll die in prison. Sad. Very sad.

Re: Sad sorry commentary....

Pretty sure he was destined to die in prison whether this incident had happened or not.

I've seen several Osborne jokes pop up with this latest news, and I get it, but... I do think Osborne sincerely thought he could turn this guy's life around. I think it's fair to say Osborne may not have always made the right decisions as the head coach, but I don't think his motives were in the wrong place. I think he truly felt he could fix anyone, and the reality was, LP was already too broken. It's a shame but some people (through mental disorders or horrible upbringing) are just meant to be bad people and they need to be separated from society. Unfortunately, LP was one of those people.

^^^^This^^^^

agree completely. Nicely stated.

Re: Sad sorry commentary....

Originally posted by chicolby:
Pretty sure he was destined to die in prison whether this incident had happened or not.

I've seen several Osborne jokes pop up with this latest news, and I get it, but... I do think Osborne sincerely thought he could turn this guy's life around. I think it's fair to say Osborne may not have always made the right decisions as the head coach, but I don't think his motives were in the wrong place. I think he truly felt he could fix anyone, and the reality was, LP was already too broken. It's a shame but some people (through mental disorders or horrible upbringing) are just meant to be bad people and they need to be separated from society. Unfortunately, LP was one of those people.
Yep. I think T.O. probably had a good idea of what the recidivism numbers look like. He was willing to take the criticism because when he had to look back on it all, his choice was to throw the young men into the grinder or to give them a chance at redemption. He probably knew he would take the heat, but he preferred that to feeling like he turned his back on a kid who needed to be taught how to be a man.

We know of a few examples of times that went badly. What we don't hear as much about are some of the ones who straightened out their lives.

Originally posted by newAD:
Benning is talking about him right now. Started at about 7:28 or so, so I'm guessing the 3rd podcast for the day when up. Never heard Benning about to come to tears on the air. Pretty moving.
Poor Damon, crying about a thug who should've not only been thrown off the team but kicked the hell out of school after what he did. I hope the guy rots in prison.

Originally posted by hamneggs53:
Poor Damon, crying about a thug who should've not only been thrown off the team but kicked the hell out of school after what he did. I hope the guy rots in prison.
I don't think Damon thinks LP needs to be let go here. How would you be today if you grew up with a step dad that pissed on you, and your mom just stood by a watched?

Damon wasn't defending what he did, but knows the guys back ground and feels bad for the guy. Like what a previous poster in this thread said "Some people were just raise to be (Bad People)".

I think LP is where he needs to be. He needs to be away from society, because he is a threat. Whether he gets the death penalty or life in prison, we aren't the ones to judge.

The guy never had a chance with that upbringing. The only mistake TO made was giving the guy a chance. All TO wanted to do was turn the guys life around.

".....The only mistake TO made was giving the guy a chance. All TO wanted to do was turn the guys life around."

Dr Tom rolled the dice & lost with LP, he tried to help. I admire him for giving LP a chance to get it right. The failure is on LP.

Originally posted by big red22:

I don't think Damon thinks LP needs to be let go here. How would you be today if you grew up with a step dad that pissed on you, and your mom just stood by a watched?

Damon wasn't defending what he did, but knows the guys back ground and feels bad for the guy. Like what a previous poster in this thread said "Some people were just raise to be (Bad People)".

I think LP is where he needs to be. He needs to be away from society, because he is a threat. Whether he gets the death penalty or life in prison, we aren't the ones to judge.

The guy never had a chance with that upbringing. The only mistake TO made was giving the guy a chance. All TO wanted to do was turn the guys life around.
That, and in addition, win a few football games with his talent.

Exactly. How many guys have credited with TO with turning their life around, and who arguably did worse things? Tyrone Williams, Scott Baldwin, Aaron Golliday, to name a very few. When you try to help/save/turn around people with real issues there are bound to be a few failures. It's the nature of the beast. But to use 20/20 hindsight and say TO should have abandoned LP is nuts, especially when TO was given a diagnosis by the experts at the Meininger Clinic in Kansas that said LP could be successfully treated for his anger disorder.

I have said things like this too. But I've also learned through my life that its not so easy to detach emotionally from a troubled person when they are your friend or family member.. Just saying.

The guy never had a chance with that upbringing.
By saying the above you are saying that nobody, ever, had similar (or even worse) backgrounds and ended up being a decent human being. I don't believe that to be the case.

I believe there are many people (millions) that pull themselves out of their upbringing hell to be highly functioning members of society, some of which are likely your neighbors, co-workers, and even friends or family. Few people with similar backgrounds as LP were given as many chances and resources to break that generational cycle. He chose not to accept any of it.

Originally posted by WestCoastCornhusker:

Yeah, if LP wasn't a stud, he wouldn't have been given a second or third chance. That's not a shot at Tom, its just the reality of life. Supremely talented people get more chances than everyone else.

spurrier's position on the female thing is a much better approach.

"If you ever hit a girl, you're not going to play on our team," he said during his weekly news conference. "You're finished."

"We're not going to have any player on our team that's done that," he said. "I can't understand why every coach doesn't have that rule and why every company doesn't have that rule for their employees. I think it could put a pretty good end to this stuff. Really, it's amazing that America has sort of put up with it or compromised, but that is something that should never happen."

"I would think every coach would have that rule," he said. "I don't think they do. Some of them -- 'Well, let's wait and look at the situation' and all this, that and the other. You do have to do that. But once you know it's happened, I think it will help put an end to it."

Originally posted by cubsker:

"If you ever hit a girl, you're not going to play on our team," he said during his weekly news conference. "You're finished."

"We're not going to have any player on our team that's done that," he said. "I can't understand why every coach doesn't have that rule and why every company doesn't have that rule for their employees. I think it could put a pretty good end to this stuff. Really, it's amazing that America has sort of put up with it or compromised, but that is something that should never happen."

"I would think every coach would have that rule," he said. "I don't think they do. Some of them -- 'Well, let's wait and look at the situation' and all this, that and the other. You do have to do that. But once you know it's happened, I think it will help put an end to it."
Well, yeah.

Originally posted by red rover 70:
My heart breaks for the people who love and care about him.
Not sure if serious, but mine does too. Would be unbelievably tough to have this happen to one of your close buddies. Like Damon said when he started talking, his love for LP does NOT absolve him from what he's done.

Originally posted by mkbrkloster:

The guy never had a chance with that upbringing.
By saying the above you are saying that nobody, ever, had similar (or even worse) backgrounds and ended up being a decent human being. I don't believe that to be the case.

I believe there are many people (millions) that pull themselves out of their upbringing hell to be highly functioning members of society, some of which are likely your neighbors, co-workers, and even friends or family. Few people with similar backgrounds as LP were given as many chances and resources to break that generational cycle. He chose not to accept any of it.
I'm telling you, you're wrong.

There are not Millions of people that grow up like that and succeed in life. I guess it depends on your idea of "succeeding". I'm not going to sit here an say I know someone that had that upbringing, because I don't. I do know however that what happens to you as a child affects you as an adult.

My wife grew up with parents that forgot to pick her up at school when she was a kid and had to take a bus home. How that correlates with her today. If you are 2 minutes late to something she plans, she has anxiety attacks like you wouldn't believe.

I'm not going to sit here and say what LP did is okay, because what he has done with his life was awful! That doesn't say I don't feel sorry for him.

The guy made some extremely poor choices, but that is all tied to his upbringing. I would say more people that have a life like his as a child commit suicide than lead a productive life. He had a need to feel wanted and he never got that until TO took him in.

I can't believe some of you think what happened to him as a kid just goes away. IT NEVER DOES... and there are triggers that bring out that s***. That is why people like Damon that know the good side of him are affected the way they are.

Can someone succeed that had that upbringing, yes. It will take someone else to fulfill that need he never got as a kid, and give it to him each and every day. Drill it into his head that his is wanted. It would take an awfully strong person to provide that to someone like LP, and obviously it never happened.

Millions of people didn't have the upbringing LP did, only LP had the upbringing he did. Everyone experience in life is different. No one knows how he was treated as an infant, toddler ect... and the only image of a father figure is one that was physically and mentally abusive.

I never said overcoming a crappy childhood was easy. In fact, there are probably few things in life that are more difficult; but people do it, and they do it every day.

I disagree with you strongly about the plight of children and their upbringing. World-wide, millions of children have worse childhoods than LP, most of which don't try to kill people over a football game.

Originally posted by cubsker:

lol has "little" to do with helping someone with a psychological condition... just a way to bolster his reputation in a league (SEC) full of shady conduct. There are plenty of criminals incarcerated in full awareness that what they did was going to put them there. Its tough to say, but I like the chances of LP killing a person that wasn't a murderer if he was "finished" for hitting a girl.

For the amount of people that have difficulty of staying out of trouble or having a conviction for right and wrong there is an equally disturbing amount of people that have little capacity for empathy.

I'mriginally posted by St. Anger:
Originally posted by red rover 70:
My heart breaks for the people who love and care about him.
Not sure if serious, but mine does too. Would be unbelievably tough to have this happen to one of your close buddies. Like Damon said when he started talking, his love for LP does NOT absolve him from what he's done.
Very serious.

Originally posted by WestCoastCornhusker:

IMO it wasn't about that. They didn't need him to continue to dominate. They were having no trouble moving the ball without Phillips. I think he's a case of a guy that if he didn't have football...there wasn't gonna be much for him. He seems to have proven that correct.

It wasn't about football needing LP, it was the other way around. They were shelving that trophy with or without him.

Originally posted by TheBeav815:
IMO it wasn't about that. They didn't need him to continue to dominate. They were having no trouble moving the ball without Phillips. I think he's a case of a guy that if he didn't have football...there wasn't gonna be much for him. He seems to have proven that correct.

It wasn't about football needing LP, it was the other way around. They were shelving that trophy with or without him.
The first head coach I coached under, often talked about reaching out and going the extra mile for kids that, "need us more than we need them". Granted, none were at this level of issue, but just relating the common idea of providing structure for someone who needs it...regardless of how much they added to the team. Obviously, if they were detrimental to the team, that was a different story.

Originally posted by mkbrkloster:
I never said overcoming a crappy childhood was easy. In fact, there are probably few things in life that are more difficult; but people do it, and they do it every day.

I disagree with you strongly about the plight of children and their upbringing. World-wide, millions of children have worse childhoods than LP, most of which don't try to kill people over a football game.
Give a kid LPs childhood, some can overcome, but a certain percentage will not. Poverty, abuse, neglect, mental illness, LP had it all. He is who he is, and there's no reason to anyone should be shocked how he turned out. He still knew right from wrong, but some with all those problems growing up won't control their impulses. A certain percentage in this country are just destined for prison. There's lots of reasons why, and we are far past doing anything to stop it. I've seen it for years. Come into contact with a kid you just know will end up dead or in prison or both. Some have.

I don't blame LP for who he is. I don't excuse him for who he turned out to be. We live in a country with tens of thousands of LPs. He's just one of the most famous cases. Expecting all of those to overcome who lived a life like his is frankly beyond naive. No society on this planet has the means or willpower to fix everyone.

BTW he didn't try to kill anyone over the football game, it was because he thought they stole his wallet. He didn't succeed in killing anyone then. I'm sure most of the 14,200 murder victims in this country in 2013 were killed for just as stupid of reasons.

I have worked with incarcerated juveniles. After hearing some of their stories....I dont ask why they are messed up.....I ask why wouldnt they be messed up with the family crap they dealt with. I think the same with LP.......but make no excuses for his actions.

I wonder who LP is still in contact with.......I assume he can get letters, mail

I don't blame LP for who he is. I don't excuse him for who he turned out to be.
Yep. And thank God, Allah, Jehovah, and Mother Earth I have reasonably functioning brain chemistry and a childhood that, while hardly out of the pages of the Saturday Evening Post, did include parents who didn't completely mess me up.

Imagine the alternative for a few minutes.

Damon should be on every sports or news outlet that wants to talk about this story ...this segment was maybe the best they have ever had

Originally posted by mwulf:
Damon should be on every sports or news outlet that wants to talk about this story ...this segment was maybe the best they have ever had
The dude is a brilliant announcer. The spring game was outstanding.

I listened to the podcast....it was emotional for me. As I was listening I was thinking of a friend's childhood....and how it has affected her life...and the choices she has made. Powerful. Im not going to judge or bash LP....Im not going to make excuses for what he did. Im simply going to pray for his eternal salvation.

The cellmate was a gang member who was doing 82 years for murder. Really? Bad luck of the draw for LP. Maybe it was self defense

Originally posted by St. Anger:
Originally posted by mwulf:
The dude is a brilliant announcer. The spring game was outstanding.
^ Absolutely agree. Damon is the hands down the best color commentator I have ever heard for a Husker game.

Damon is a cut above every sports commentator and radio personality. ESPN must hate talent because that guy is better than everyone they have
Posted from Rivals Mobile

I would recommend actually listening to the podcast.

Pretty tough to listen to Damon talk about LP today. While it's easy to just write off LP and cast judgement, most of us know nothing about what it is to be him and what he has gone through. His actions have (rightfully) landed him in prison. And while taking the life of his cellmate is repulsive to say the least, again none of us know the circumstances surrounding and what led up to it. Let's not forget, LP almost died in prison not to long after being jumped and stabbed in the back. He was in the ICU for a long time. Prison is a dog-eat-dog life that most of us couldn't begin to comprehend what it takes to survive on a daily basis. Again, not an excuse for murdering someone but it's also not black and white like some will try to portray it. I pray LP can make ammends with himself and god about the actions of his life and soon because from an outside perspective it appears he's mixed up in some serious stuff in prison and probably isn't exactly safe.

We dont know if this was self defense....the cell mate was a gang member doing 82 years for murder. Because of the way the media is reporting this....LP has already been convicted by many. Even guys in prison deserve due process

Im sick of the media. A unarmed SC man was shot running away from cops.....and a newspaper headlines his past legal issues. .

I heard the tape on Berning talking about LP. Maybe the best radio I have ever heard. I have liked Benning for a very long time, but he really went up in my book due to his honesty during his segment on LP.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT