ADVERTISEMENT

1620 changing things

I thought they made a good combination. Some times when he took the lead with a cohost he gets off track and talks about dumb stuff, but overall I like the combo of them together. I felt Gary kept the show on point.

Reactions: BroskiRed
When I heard that the Bottom Line was over, I predicted that Severe was coming back to 1620. I think he matches up well with Damon, but so did Gary. I have a feeling that the Gary Sharp show may struggle a bit, but should do ok. Im not a huge fan of the single host format, so I wish they would have brought in a cohost.

Im actually kinda shocked they didnt just move a solo Severe into the 10-2 slot, as that is what he had on the Bottom Line.

On a side note, wonder if they will be able to book OWH reporters again?

When I heard that the Bottom Line was over, I predicted that Severe was coming back to 1620. I think he matches up well with Damon, but so did Gary. I have a feeling that the Gary Sharp show may struggle a bit, but should do ok. Im not a huge fan of the single host format, so I wish they would have brought in a cohost.

Im actually kinda shocked they didnt just move a solo Severe into the 10-2 slot, as that is what he had on the Bottom Line.

I bet that the 10-2 spot will make it easy to get guests on, like the local writers and online dudes, so it will probably be Sharp having a guest on 50% of the time.

Reactions: keilwitzg

I agree. I think solo shows are tough, although Sharp has experience as a solo host with Sports Nightly. I figured, like most, that Severe would take over the 10-2 slot. I’ve always liked Severe and I’m glad to have him back as I usually listen to 1620 everyday.

I agree. I think solo shows are tough, although Sharp has experience as a solo host with Sports Nightly. I figured, like most, that Severe would take over the 10-2 slot. I’ve always liked Severe and I’m glad to have him back as I usually listen to 1620 everyday.
I've loved listening to Severe on 590 which I can get in my area if there's no thunder between me and Omaha. I used to be able to sometimes tune in to 1620 but something happened to their transmission such that I can't get it anymore. I wondered where Severe was this week. Stephen A. Smith in his placeSick. Nick Handley isn't too bad in the afternoon on 590, but as you say, it's tough to fly solo. As much as I disliked his former co-host, the show was better with the two of them. Man, I have to figure out a way to tune in to 1620 in my vehicles.

I've loved listening to Severe on 590 which I can get in my area if there's no thunder between me and Omaha. I used to be able to sometimes tune in to 1620 but something happened to their transmission such that I can't get it anymore. I wondered where Severe was this week. Stephen A. Smith in his placeSick. Nick Handley isn't too bad in the afternoon on 590, but as you say, it's tough to fly solo. As much as I disliked his former co-host, the show was better with the two of them. Man, I have to figure out a way to tune in to 1620 in my vehicles.

Where do you live?

Agree. It seems like it would have been easiest to just move Severe to his own show and keep Gary and Damon together. Gary is as good as it gets, and Severe is very good too, so I'm looking forward to it.

In a land far far away....... I don't give out my location on this board. I quit doing that when Pelini's goons were looking for me.Winking Somewhere several hours away from Omaha.

OK , just wondered if you live in Nebraska or out of state..

I take it you don’t make many of the football or Basketball games in Lincoln.

Get Tune In radio on your phone and plug your phone into the Auxiliary port in your cars radio, or if your car has Bluetooth stream from that.

If you have a car that doesn't have either of those... get a modern car Winking

Is 1620 on the I heart radio app? Most stations can be gotten through your phone via an app of some kind, which you could then play through your car speakers via an aux cord or perhaps even bluetooth -- depending on make, model, age of your car.

You beat me to the punch

No more Nick Bahe!? Yeah!!! He's probably a nice guy and I didn't mind listening to him when he wasn't the lead guy, but he was too slow and repetitive (would say things three times before moving on to the next thought) so I'd usually change the channel when his show was on.

Reactions: jnelsen040
No more Nick Bahe!? Yeah!!! He's probably a nice guy and I didn't mind listening to him when he wasn't the lead guy, but he was too slow and repetitive (would say things three times before moving on to the next thought) so I'd usually change the channel when his show was on.

He wanted to be Jim Rome...but he wasn't clever or funny and didn't have his own "clones"

Yes he quit his radio show several weeks ago. You must be a real loyal listener to 1620...

Reactions: jnelsen040
Is 1620 on the I heart radio app? Most stations can be gotten through your phone via an app of some kind, which you could then play through your car speakers via an aux cord or perhaps even bluetooth -- depending on make, model, age of your car.

You beat me to the punch
They have their own app. Think it's called the 1620 the zone app.

OK , just wondered if you live in Nebraska or out of state..

I take it you don’t make many of the football or Basketball games in Lincoln.
Have season tickets for football but normally don't make more than 2-3 games per year if I'm lucky.

The Golden Era of Nebraska Sports Radio was when we had Unsportsmanlike Conduct with
Kevin and Mike'l in the afternoon. Damon was the icing on the cake back then. You knew it was football time when he made an appearance!

I am excited to have Mike'l back on 1620. My one gripe is that the The Bottom Line is gone. That is one less podcast to listen to now!!!

The Golden Era of Nebraska Sports Radio was when we had Unsportsmanlike Conduct with
Kevin and Mike'l in the afternoon. Damon was the icing on the cake back then. You knew it was football time when he made an appearance!

I am excited to have Mike'l back on 1620. My one gripe is that the The Bottom Line is gone. That is one less podcast to listen to now!!!

I do miss Kugler on the air. Selfishly speaking I wish he would get tired of traveling and would be back to the local scene more. But I don't blame him he gets to be part of some pretty awesome things doing what he has been doing.

The Golden Era of Nebraska Sports Radio was when we had Unsportsmanlike Conduct with Kevin and Mike'l in the afternoon. Damon was the icing on the cake back then. You knew it was football time when he made an appearance!

IMO the guys on 1620's Unsportsmanlike Conduct show (currently airing) are annoying as hell. They have their moments when they're not trying to stir the shit and are not a bad listen. But DAMN they try too hard. Josh Peterson sounds like a little yippy dog nipping at your ankle and his laugh sounds incredibly fake.

i wish the stream sounded better here.
i have to crank it up to hear.
just not clear for me.

IMO the guys on 1620's Unsportsmanlike Conduct show (currently airing) are annoying as hell. They have their moments when they're not trying to stir the shit and are not a bad listen. But DAMN they try too hard. Josh Peterson sounds like a little yippy dog nipping at your ankle and his laugh sounds incredibly fake.
Ain't this the truth. They sound like they REALLY want to do a wacky morning zoo radio show, but with afternoon sports talk. It is unbearable at times, so I do a lot of channel surfing. It has been like that since Kugler/Severe went their separate ways.

Like Sharp better than Benning..
Sharp is good. I'll always respect him for his honest takes on Steve Peterson in earlier days when most people were overlooking SP's tactics. SP leaned on Sports Nightly and before long, Gary was gone. That was how Jim Rose got the job. Rose did a better job of speaking only positive about SP regardless of how far the program slid.

The bottom line is that Michael Severe had the best show in local sports radio and this is coming from a guy who didn't like listening to him when he was paired with Kugler on Unsportsmanlike Conduct. I was hoping that Severe would take over Bahe's GameTime Show because Severe is better solo. But it's great to have Severe on any show since he is the best we've got. His coverage of Husker Football is the best.

I think that the demise of the Omaha World-Herald's radio will open up their reporters to coming onto Omaha sports radio again. That's a good thing.

Not sure I like this move. I always enjoyed Sharp & Benning. Nice to have a show that involved thinking and did not have to listen to terms like, dude, man, & dog non-stop.

That being said, I like all 3 of those guys and hope they can find the right combinations

Sharp & Benning is a good show but has its moments - both good and bad. But I really wonder what in the hell that snot clearing laugh Benning has. He does it about 15 to 20 times a show and I always wonder if he's wearing a bib or has a mic cover or if Sharp is wiping his face and desk every time he does it. Another little annoying thing about Benning, he has a tendency to trail off. He goes from volume 7 or 8 and then in mid sentence he goes down to a 1 or 2. I wonder if he's turning his face from the mic or does he realize what he's saying isn't that interesting and just becomes a low-talker?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT