ADVERTISEMENT

16 important days coming up for the future of the program

uberism1111

Redshirt Freshman
Sep 28, 2019
I am as frustrated as everyone else about not winning the game but this thread is about the future.

1: Early signing date is Dec. 18th. During this time we need to finish getting linebackers and wide receivers. We have to get some bigger WR's that can stretch the field and also some more athletic speed to go with Wandale. Without hitting these goals the team will continue to struggle. There is nothing more important, IMO, this off-season then this.

2: IMO, don't expect any staff changes prior to the NSD. There isn't enough time to replace coaches and also land recruits. There are only 2 visit weekends left before most recruits across the country put ink to paper.

3: We need to land at least 1 more DB.

4: We need someone that can kick the f'n ball into the endzone.

5: IMO, and I'm sure Frost has already been doing this, take a serious look at least 2 staff changes on D - OLB and DC - and start that process after Dec. 18th.

6: We need to get a lot more athletic on this roster so we have better athletes playing on special teams.

We had 4 very winnable games this year that went down to the end that should have been wons. To get over that hurdle these next 16 days are the most important time this program has had since Frost has been here so we can fix those holes and get better.

We have a good QB room. - no major need there.

RB: My god we have the worst depth in the conference, outside of Rutgers, at that spot right now. Yes we have 2 guys committed, but, IMO, we need more athletes here. We don't have the depth to overcome injuries and injuries will happen every year.

WR: Worst unit in the conference at the WR spot outside of Rutgers. These next 16 days are enourmously important for this unit. If we don't get this fixed it isn't going to matter who is the QB. We need size, gotta be able to spread the field and stretch it.

OL: We are going to get better there with better OL recruiting that has been coming in.

LB: Second worst unit on the team in terms of talent and depth. Like WR, we gotta fix this.

On Dec. 18th the question that needs to be answered is - did we get the needs at WR and LB so this team can be better?

Besides the other unites I wrote, we have to fix the kicking game. I don't care who the coach is, kicking is more about ability than anything else. We need someone that can kick the ball into the endzone. I think we should be ok with field goal kicking since we found a guy that can return next year and be a backup for us.

We need to find a fricken punter.

Need to hit on a higher percentage of the class of 2020 for sure. ‘18 and ‘19 need to get better in a hurry as well.

Staff changes might end up happening but scheme and technique execution has to get better no matter what is taught.

Reactions: SC_'sker
Fire Dewitt and fix two things at once - special teams and linebackers. Everything else I'm confident will work out. This move NEEDS to happen though, asking with Fair competition at QB. Otherwise next year will be more of the same I'm afraid.

I'd feel more optimistic if we were still in on a bunch of talented WR and LB recruits. But we're scraping the barrel for 2 and 3-star JUCO linebackers. The WR we have the best chance of signing is another little dude (Marcus Fleming - 5'11, 165). Omar Manning seems to have disappeared from the face of the earth, and Xavier Hutchinson said this week he's sticking with ISU.

I don't know how to sell this program after a 3rd straight losing season. Most top recruits don't want to spend their holidays at home.

It's crazy how different UCF looks compared to Nebraska. They go at such a fast tempo, usually 15-20 seconds faster than Nebraska. UCF's offense looks fun to play in and hell to play against. We still haven't seen anything like that 2 seasons in, it's so bizarre.

It all starts with the QB. Frost and Verduzco said the QB has to be able to process information quickly. Martinez is awful in this regard - he is a "slow blinker".

I am as frustrated as everyone else about not winning the game but this thread is about the future.

1: Early signing date is Dec. 18th. During this time we need to finish getting linebackers and wide receivers. We have to get some bigger WR's that can stretch the field and also some more athletic speed to go with Wandale. Without hitting these goals the team will continue to struggle. There is nothing more important, IMO, this off-season then this.

2: IMO, don't expect any staff changes prior to the NSD. There isn't enough time to replace coaches and also land recruits. There are only 2 visit weekends left before most recruits across the country put ink to paper.

3: We need to land at least 1 more DB.

4: We need someone that can kick the f'n ball into the endzone.

5: IMO, and I'm sure Frost has already been doing this, take a serious look at least 2 staff changes on D - OLB and DC - and start that process after Dec. 18th.

6: We need to get a lot more athletic on this roster so we have better athletes playing on special teams.

We had 4 very winnable games this year that went down to the end that should have been wons. To get over that hurdle these next 16 days are the most important time this program has had since Frost has been here so we can fix those holes and get better.

We have a good QB room. - no major need there.

RB: My god we have the worst depth in the conference, outside of Rutgers, at that spot right now. Yes we have 2 guys committed, but, IMO, we need more athletes here. We don't have the depth to overcome injuries and injuries will happen every year.

WR: Worst unit in the conference at the WR spot outside of Rutgers. These next 16 days are enourmously important for this unit. If we don't get this fixed it isn't going to matter who is the QB. We need size, gotta be able to spread the field and stretch it.

OL: We are going to get better there with better OL recruiting that has been coming in.

LB: Second worst unit on the team in terms of talent and depth. Like WR, we gotta fix this.

On Dec. 18th the question that needs to be answered is - did we get the needs at WR and LB so this team can be better?

Very important to get a good DC, special teams coordinator, and a new OC that can call plays.

It's crazy how different UCF looks compared to Nebraska. They go at such a fast tempo, usually 15-20 seconds faster than Nebraska. UCF's offense looks fun to play in and hell to play against. We still haven't seen anything like that 2 seasons in, it's so bizarre.

was just talking about this with someone else. It's nuts how different this looks than UCF or Oregon. No clue what's going on here.

Reactions: CameronKrazie86
I'd feel more optimistic if we were still in on a bunch of talented WR and LB recruits. But we're scraping the barrel for 2 and 3-star JUCO linebackers. The WR we have the best chance of signing is another little dude (Marcus Fleming - 5'11, 165). Omar Manning seems to have disappeared from the face of the earth, and Xavier Hutchinson said this week he's sticking with ISU.

I don't know how to sell this program after a 3rd straight losing season. Most top recruits don't want to spend their holidays at home.

Well, for starters, if we had competent coaches , all we need to do is out recruit west division like we have been every year.

You really think this will happen? Have you not watched the last 20 years of Nebraska football? Nothing will change, there will be 2 more years of crap Martinez QB and they will maybe fight for a bowl. I’d they do bring in new Coaches they will suck. Nebraska football is mediocre. 20 straight years.

Very important to get a good DC, special teams coordinator, and a new OC that can call plays.

DJ Durkin - has experience as a Big Ten Defensive Coordinator and LB coach.

I don't see Frost ever giving up play-calling duties. But if he did, he should hire Rhett Lashlee from SMU as O.C.

Chins job is safe. His defense gave up 20 points to Iowa and a garbage TD to Maryland. Hard to fire a guy whose unit finished strong. I still think he sucks and Scott will look past the fact that Iowa and Maryland were the 2 worst offenses we probably played in the B1G if not all year. But Chin bought a little equity in those two games.

Dewitt is a difficult situation. Guy just fought cancer. I truly believe this effected his units more than anyone will admit. But I wish he’d do the right thing and step down. I don’t think coaching should be in the cards for him right now. Wish they’d get him an Admin job.

Also Walters has to get rid of the “no block, no rock mindset”. There’s plenty of times in a game where guys who can maybe run good routes but can’t block need to be on the field.

More possible issues involved with the guys who can't block. Such as run a solid route, but it's the wrong route for the play. Such as a flag for failure to line up on the line of scrimmage. Such as block in the back when the ball carrier is already on the ground or on kick returns.

We are so thin we are already playing mistake makers who would never have seen the light of day on any team TO coached.

Different conference. Think Frost had figured that out yet? Ali could float like a butterfly and sting like a be. If you make one miss step in the BIG you get bludgeoned in the mouth. This ain't a league for pretenders.

Reactions: Husker_AMG63
Might be a blessing not making a bowl. This team has been practicing since aug. And still makes mistakes. Not sure a few in dec will matter. This staff can work on recruiting full time

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT