ADVERTISEMENT

150 percent bench press or no play

utrex

Walk On
Gold Member
Dec 15, 2001
I am retired now but spent 18 years coaching in NE plus being involved with weight lifting classes and summer programs. I saw maybe a handful of serious athletes who could bench press 150 percent of their body weight while they were high school age. There is a football coach in a town about twenty miles from where I live who told his returning players that by the time football season arrives that they must bench press 150 percent or they won't be allowed to play in the games. My impression of the guy was already poor but this only solidifies that he is an idiot.

The Walker kid who just maxed 425 according to the news papers was lifting just a little over 150 percent and I would have not counted it because his butt/hips were up and off of the bench. One more comment---what would that one boy who was spotting do if Walker lost the balance of the bar and it started to fall on his neck or face? Should have been at least one guy on each end----poor supervision.

We always had 3 guys spot when doing testing or really anything above a certain weight (was 20 years ago, so I cant remember what it was) One in the middle for the bar, and one on each end to help with the guy in the middle couldnt provide enough to safely rack the weight

I am retired now but spent 18 years coaching in NE plus being involved with weight lifting classes and summer programs. I saw maybe a handful of serious athletes who could bench press 150 percent of their body weight while they were high school age. There is a football coach in a town about twenty miles from where I live who told his returning players that by the time football season arrives that they must bench press 150 percent or they won't be allowed to play in the games. My impression of the guy was already poor but this only solidifies that he is an idiot.

The Walker kid who just maxed 425 according to the news papers was lifting just a little over 150 percent and I would have not counted it because his butt/hips were up and off of the bench. One more comment---what would that one boy who was spotting do if Walker lost the balance of the bar and it started to fall on his neck or face? Should have been at least one guy on each end----poor supervision.

I have been a principal, AD, coached and been around weight programs for several years as well and praises God now retired. I have no idea what this coach is trying to prove with the 150 rule. First of all, if it is for the bench press, that one isn't a prized lift by most coaches I know. Like one coach told me, his HS coach joked that the bench press was good for pushing guys off of you when they tackled you. He is not going to have a very big squad with that requirement. When we see these kids who are built at a young age, it is not normal. I kept the school open for kids to lift year round rather than having them running around and even those kids who lived in the weight room didn't get all ripped and super strong. They did build technique and have better overall strength and endurance. Hate to make this general statement but the kids that were getting ripped were taking some kind of supplements most of the time. Not saying illegal or steroid, but supplements.

I was also shocked at the lack of spotters present. The coach should have been right there checking everything and with at least three guys spotting. That kid would not have had a chance to slow that much weight now should he have let it go. A kid in SW KS was killed while I was a principal from this so it always scared me. Kids are not maxing out that often but they everyone should know better. And yes, if he were at a competition the lift would not have counted. I noticed it too but didn't want to start a frenzy and be called a kill joy. Still, the kid clearly has some strength with the bench. Now what can he squat which is what most coaches want to know.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT