ADVERTISEMENT

146 Football Players and Counting

Bigred511

Redshirt Freshman
Gold Member
Oct 14, 2018
I reviewed the Husker Football Roster at http://www.huskers.com/SportSelect.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=100&SPID=22&SPSID=4 . I show 146 current players on the roster and figuring with more new scholarship and walk on players that should commit soon could bring to 160. I heard from either Nate or Sean when Frost came in has a goal to get around 150-160. Looks like should be north of 150 with attrition. Should be some exciting competition. I am tired of hearing we don't have depth. Everyone needs to prepare like they are the starter.

So how does that number (150-160) compare with most power 5 schools? The vast majority of the walk ons will never be contributors. Maybe it's just because I had to work my way through school and pay off loans, but it's hard for me to feel good for kids paying to play if they're turning down scholarships to other schools. No question it's good for the program though.

So how does that number (150-160) compare with most power 5 schools? The vast majority of the walk ons will never be contributors. Maybe it's just because I had to work my way through school and pay off loans, but it's hard for me to feel good for kids paying to play if they're turning down scholarships to other schools. No question it's good for the program though.
Agree, sort of, but no one is holding a gun to their heads either. Every walk on who had offers elsewhere chose to come here.

I don’t feel too bad for them. They are chasing their dream, which actually makes me feel good for them. And if they make it through, they will be a husker for life and always have a place here, meaning all kinds of resources and connections that they may not have at the South Dakota States of the world...

I reviewed the Husker Football Roster at http://www.huskers.com/SportSelect.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=100&SPID=22&SPSID=4 . I show 146 current players on the roster and figuring with more new scholarship and walk on players that should commit soon could bring to 160. I heard from either Nate or Sean when Frost came in has a goal to get around 150-160. Looks like should be north of 150 with attrition. Should be some exciting competition. I am tired of hearing we don't have depth. Everyone needs to prepare like they are the starter.
As a kid going to games, I used to marvel when I got a handout roster that we had 100+ guys and "they" only brought like "45" lol.

If it's true that Scott is getting that many studs ready to go for NU......... shoot hard to not sip koolaid, even if it's a little more than you normally would!

There is more to paying their own way than just playing time. These young men learn what leaders act like and how to lead other men. I knew Chris when he moved to Papillion in 6th grade. Papio won a state championship in 90 the year we were seniors. Reggie Baul was also a senior on that team and Lance Brown was a sophmore I think. Both of those guys ended up on scholarship at NU. Chris rode the pine as a walk-on even though he was the leader at Papio as FB/LB. He was a back-up behind Cory Schlesinger and another guy who escapes me. Chris told me years later he was really 2nd string and would have got a ton of gametime, but he was always in trouble. He later became a coach. He was an assistant at South Florida with Jerry Taggert and went to Oregon. He remained there after Taggert left. Frank Solich was Chris's RB coach, and Tom Osborne was his Head coach while he played. He told me he learned a ton from those two men. Life experiences teach us far more than some stuff we receive for free. He had to work for what he had. https://goducks.com/coaches.aspx?rc=1793&path=football

There is more to paying their own way than just playing time. These young men learn what leaders act like and how to lead other men. I knew Chris when he moved to Papillion in 6th grade. Papio won a state championship in 90 the year we were seniors. Reggie Baul was also a senior on that team and Lance Brown was a sophmore I think. Both of those guys ended up on scholarship at NU. Chris rode the pine as a walk-on even though he was the leader at Papio as FB/LB. He was a back-up behind Cory Schlesinger and another guy who escapes me. Chris told me years later he was really 2nd string and would have got a ton of gametime, but he was always in trouble. He later became a coach. He was an assistant at South Florida with Jerry Taggert and went to Oregon. He remained there after Taggert left. Frank Solich was Chris's RB coach, and Tom Osborne was his Head coach while he played. He told me he learned a ton from those two men. Life experiences teach us far more than some stuff we receive for free. He had to work for what he had. https://goducks.com/coaches.aspx?rc=1793&path=football
I am not sure linking articles from Huskemax is allowed, but if so this is a good read. It is a three part article interviewing former walk-on Chris Norris. He spoke about a lot of things. My favorite story involved him smacking John Parrella in practice by accident and suffering the consequences. He spoke a lot about the coaches and the staff around him. He learned a lot while "just being a walk-on". I remember Chris as being a stud athlete and something of a troublemaker. https://www.huskermax.com/anatomy-of-an-era-chris-norris-part-1/

ADVERTISEMENT