ADVERTISEMENT

130 ex-Husker baseball players on hand..

Nebraska’s history of baseball success with the CWS appearances became irrelevant when it joined the big ten. The big 12 is an elite baseball conference. The big ten is analogous to the MAC in football. Nebraska, rather than recruiting kids to play in an elite conference are now recruiting to the big ten. Elite college baseball players aren’t going to play in the big ten -

hey did you guys know the Big Ten isn't a good baseball conference?

Reactions: Charlie Marlow
to watch Nebraska lay another egg at the plate. I just watched two of the ugliest swings I've ever seen by a college baseball player when Mojo Hagge was at the plate. Good grief that was hideous.
Blame T.O for this crap...you can't compete with the south and west in the big 10...a short-sighted decision to move us away from Texas and instead move us closer to areas with little athletic talent and a ton of teams competing for that little talent. Why would a kid go to Nebraska when you can't even get outside until April, if that, you play crappy baseball when you are outside...just imagine a blue chipper saying, "bro, I just skipped the mlb draft to go to Nebraska and play in the big 10..., its been 30+ years since one of them teams made it big..." Even god can make mistakes.

Blame T.O for this crap...you can't compete with the south and west in the big 10...a short-sighted decision to move us away from Texas and instead move us closer to areas with little athletic talent and a ton of teams competing for that little talent. Why would a kid go to Nebraska when you can't even get outside until April, if that, you play crappy baseball when you are outside...just imagine a blue chipper saying, "bro, I just skipped the mlb draft to go to Nebraska and play in the big 10..., its been 30+ years since one of them teams made it big..." Even god can make mistakes.

I couldn't agree with this more. Moving conferences to cater to football/basketball was simply inexcusable.

I mean, it's so obvious. How could anyone overlook potential negative impacts to baseball, softball, swimming & diving, etc., when it's all the fans care about?

I, for one, will be organizing a protest inside the fountain at the student union to finally shine a light on this travesty. Every Saturday in the fall starting at the same time as football, continuing right through basketball season. Men's only, of course.

WHO'S WITH ME?!

I don't blame TO for moving us to the B1G, but I do blame him for hiring Erstdud. I know Van Horn would have never hung around to coach in the B1G, had he not gone home to Arkansas, but hiring a guy with no coaching experience to take over a program that had a rich recent history was a really lazy choice on his part.

Nebraska pitchers strike back with a 2-1 win.

Didn't think we would come close to getting a win after watching their offense last night. Gotta give credit where credit is due. I can't even imagine what a win tomorrow would do for their confidence. I believe they mentioned on the broadcast that ASU is in the hunt for most HRs in the nation.

Reactions: Charlie Marlow
Looking forward to the B1G Tournament in Omaha.

The Hawkeyes are coming and they are locked and loaded.

Coach Heller, Rick, this is your sixth season here, and the sixth time your Hawkeyes have won at least 30 games. That nice, even, successful number was achieved with a 7-5 survival of Michigan State at Duane Banks Field.

These are salad days for Iowa baseball, whatever that means. And they might not even be salad days, since Heller has his sights set on even bigger things than regular appearances in the Big Ten Conference tournament and regular trips to the NCAA regionals.

You know, it’s that College World Series thing. But, still, that this group, in particular, has achieved 30 wins and counting is very good.
And who did they play in non conference?

Everyone on the schedule, however against ranked teams out of conference they played Okie St and U.C. Irvine both ranked in the tos

They played 5 series against rated teams and went 5 - 0 in the series.

UC Irvine spanked Ioway in the 3rd game..

Huskers up 7-4 late, looking for the series win.

Wouldn't hold a candle to Iowa's epic non-conference wins over Simpson College and Clarke University, but still.

ASU with a solo HR, NU up 7-5 now.

Yet we trashed the Huskers.

You beat us 2 of 3 at home, and were a whisker from losing 2 of 3 to us. Sure, you pounded us in game 2, but you still just won 2 of 3 at home. Which is what home teams are supposed to do.

That doesn't mean you're going to win a regional, let alone a super regional. My guess is you'll get knocked out of your regional pretty quickly and will have to hang your hat on that...wait for it...'recent' trip to Omaha. RollingLaugh

Reactions: timnsun
I wish Nebraska could beat Iowa the way Michigan State is right now :oops:

Nice series loss to the 12th place team in the league.

Nice series win, now go beat up on Michigan.

If only we were Iowa fans, we could all plan on gathering here in 45 or so years to gasbag about that big weekend against Arizona State, when NU ruled the college baseball world.

Reactions: timnsun and kaz36
Nice series win-unexpected considering how we were playing.Might get us in a regional now as long as we don't blow it against Michigan next weekend.

I wish Nebraska could beat Iowa the way Michigan State is right now :oops:

Nice series loss to the 12th place team in the league.

But just took 2 of 3 from #20 Arizona State. Will Superdork from Iowa acknowledge that?

Actually, who gives a shit? We'll be owning them in both football and basketball sooner than later, so the world will be back on its correct axis again. They can squawk about their team losing Regionals in baseball every year for all I care. We'll be owning in footballl and basketball soon, which is the way things should be.

Reactions: RedWhiteDog
But just took 2 of 3 from #20 Arizona State. Will Superdork from Iowa acknowledge that?

Actually, who gives a shit? We'll be owning them in both football and basketball sooner than later, so the world will be back on its correct axis again. They can squawk about their team losing Regionals in baseball every year for all I care. We'll be owning in footballl and basketball soon, which is the way things should be.
ASU has lost 5 of their last 6 series, not sure why they're even ranked at this point, but even so, Michigan State?! LOLOL.

Amen brother! Goid time to be a Husker!!

You beat us 2 of 3 at home, and were a whisker from losing 2 of 3 to us. Sure, you pounded us in game 2, but you still just won 2 of 3 at home. Which is what home teams are supposed to do.

That doesn't mean you're going to win a regional, let alone a super regional. My guess is you'll get knocked out of your regional pretty quickly and will have to hang your hat on that...wait for it...'recent' trip to Omaha. RollingLaugh
Iowa is not getting an at-large bid after blowing it at home against Michigan State this weekend. Pretty much destroyed their RPI.

Don't hold your breath LOL!

Looking forward to the B1G Tournament in Omaha.

The Hawkeyes are coming and they are locked and loaded.

Coach Heller, Rick, this is your sixth season here, and the sixth time your Hawkeyes have won at least 30 games. That nice, even, successful number was achieved with a 7-5 survival of Michigan State at Duane Banks Field.

These are salad days for Iowa baseball, whatever that means. And they might not even be salad days, since Heller has his sights set on even bigger things than regular appearances in the Big Ten Conference tournament and regular trips to the NCAA regionals.

You know, it’s that College World Series thing. But, still, that this group, in particular, has achieved 30 wins and counting is very good.

Better win the B1G tournament others wise it’s the last tournament the Herky’s will play in this year..

79th RPI after losing the series with Sparty.. ouch!

Better win the B1G tournament others wise it’s the last tournament the Herky’s will play in this year..

How will the Hawkeyes make a "return visit" to the College World Series if they don't make a regional?

My God, and they're such a fixture - making it to Omaha every 50 or so years! This will be like an LSU-less CWS.

Reactions: scarletred
Big Ten RPIs:
  • Illinois (21)
  • Indiana (26)
  • Nebraska (38)
  • Michigan (42)
  • Minnesota (70)
  • Iowa (79)
  • Maryland (83)
  • Northwestern (94)
  • Ohio State (152)
  • Michigan State (161)
  • Rutgers (176)
  • Penn State (177)
  • Purdue (200)
Conference RPIs:
  1. SEC
  2. Big 12
  3. ACC
  4. Pac-12
  5. American
  6. Missouri Valley
  7. Big Ten
  8. West Coast
  9. Sun Belt

Reactions: scarletred

FWIW the plan is to win the B1G tournament, Iowa doesn’t plan on slipping in thru the side door we bust down the front door.

I don't blame TO for moving us to the B1G, but I do blame him for hiring Erstdud. I know Van Horn would have never hung around to coach in the B1G, had he not gone home to Arkansas, but hiring a guy with no coaching experience to take over a program that had a rich recent history was a really lazy choice on his part.

Just think....T.O hired one of his favorite players and favorite people to coach a team that he knew would fall from their position in the big 12...that there as no chance for sustained success in the big 10...and Erstad, because of his love for NU came back to coach a program that has almost zero chance to make it back to the CWS...mainly because of the conference. Don't forget that Erstad was very highly thought of in MLB...T.O did the same to Frankie...Tom retired at the top but left the falling to his best friend. I don't think it is a character flaw but sometimes when you love someone you move away from nepotism and towards objectivity.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT