ADVERTISEMENT

128 team playoff

SLOHusker

Senior
Aug 7, 2001
Drop all non-conference games at the start of the season. All 3 or 4 of them. Start the season with conference games and have conference championships in October.

Then start the playoff. Seed the teams by final ranking. First three rounds go to the home stadium of the higher seed in November. Teams that are eliminated can negotiate with other teams to play extra games.
1: Clemson
2. Oklahoma
3. Georgia
4. Alabama
58. Montana
59. UTEP
60. Oregon St
61. Indiana
124: Furman
126: Alcorn St
127: Citadel
128: Bethune

Round 1: Furman at Clemson, Alcorn St at Oklahoma, Citadel at Georgia, Bethune at Bama

Round 2: Oregon St at Clemson, Indiana at Oklahoma

Round 3: Washington at Alabama, USC at Ohio St....

Each school that plays visitor gets 1/2 of game revenue. Nobody gets left out, no matter how lowly.

Or just a playoff where undefeated teams are guaranteed a slot. It is against the competitive nature of sport to be eliminated before a game has been played.

NSAA did that a few years back. Made for some ugly matchups but everyone had a shot for the upset

I like 8 teams. You could have enough room to get the one or two "Cinderella" teams in as a 7 or 8 seed, get your 5 champions from the P5 and then have 3 at large bids.

16 teams gets too diluted, and I don't like the idea of a bye week for anyone. 8 gives you a hell of a field and still leaves room for some drama and bitching when those bubble teams don't get in. Whether or not people admit it, that controversy makes you root even harder when you wanna see the undeserving team lose.

They need to keep it to just 4 teams. No need to dilute the regular season any further.

The only change I would make is to give more weight to conference championships. Teams that can't even win their division, let alone their conference, shouldn't be given a shot at the title.

Reactions: StoneTempleHusker
They need to keep it to just 4 teams. No need to dilute the regular season any further.

The only change I would make is to give more weight to conference championships. Teams that can't even win their division, let alone their conference, shouldn't be given a shot at the title.

Agree.

Why dilute the season any further. We already have 10 teams playing in CCG's. Do we really want losers of those games to fill slots?

Reality is, we struggled (yet again) to find the 4th and so, we have to include more.

Neighbor: Hey Bill, your deck is bigger than your house, and you're adding on?
Bill: You can never have a big enough deck.

I like 8 teams. You could have enough room to get the one or two "Cinderella" teams in as a 7 or 8 seed, get your 5 champions from the P5 and then have 3 at large bids.

16 teams gets too diluted, and I don't like the idea of a bye week for anyone. 8 gives you a hell of a field and still leaves room for some drama and bitching when those bubble teams don't get in. Whether or not people admit it, that controversy makes you root even harder when you wanna see the undeserving team lose.
I have no doubt that it will go to 8. They have to be able to include all power 5 champions. Plus it leaves room for 3 extras. UCF would have made it in this year. It only takes 1 extra week to go to 8 instead of 4. The playoff would have to start 1 week earlier or later, after the regular season is over.
It is going to be awhile I believe the current system is under contract until 2026. So I wouldn't hold your breath on the 8 team playoff any time soon.

ADVERTISEMENT