ADVERTISEMENT

11 3-pointers tonight for incoming basketball recruit Tominaga

39 points and 11 3's in one game

It's over for the basketball team up there at The Plantation starting next season.

I watched a basketball highlight from his time line. Tominaga isn't the stand still shooter I thought he'd be. He had some craftiness and agility, hopefully Tominaga can still shoot like this at the next level.

Reactions: John_J_Rambo
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">🎂🇯🇵 happy birthday, <a href="https://twitter.com/KeiseiTominaga?ref_src=twsrc^tfw">@KeiseiTominaga</a> 🎂🇯🇵 <a href="https://t.co/W0vZaMxwVi">pic.twitter.com/W0vZaMxwVi</a></p>&mdash; FIBA3x3 (@FIBA3x3) <a href=" ">February 1, 2021</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
I don't know why, but the ball in that video looks small. Like a HS girls ball. I'm sure it's not.

48% from 3 on the year, 85% free throw. He looks relentless trying to get open, a type of shooter we haven’t had, not being a spot shooter. Hopefully for once it translates, if we return a good number from this year mixed with the talent coming in, it could be great. I think it’s getting closer.

Have not seen any film on him, but his numbers are hard to gauge. Prior to this last game where he went off, he was averaging less than 9 PPG, down from 17 last year. Seems less than impressive when coming from Juco, but maybe he will fit in better than guys like Allen and Green who had the impressive stats.

Hope his 85% free throw rate prior to NU doesn't translate to 60-65% when wearing red.

Reactions: SomedayHusker
Have not seen any film on him, but his numbers are hard to gauge. Prior to this last game where he went off, he was averaging less than 9 PPG, down from 17 last year. Seems less than impressive when coming from Juco, but maybe he will fit in better than guys like Allen and Green who had the impressive stats.

Hope his 85% free throw rate prior to NU doesn't translate to 60-65% when wearing red.
Green being a complete bust at NU is a real mystery. Allen was clearly talented enough to play in the Big Ten, but brought a lot of other baggage. With Green, the Huskers also got the baggage but near-zero production on the court. Last I checked, he's not doing anything with his new team (Pacific) either.

Reactions: dinglefritz
I’m honestly not sold on him until he starts proving it here. Level of competition seems iffy. I don’t like how a lot of his highlight film is 3 on 3. Hope McGowens can penetrate and we can find him open on the wing
Yep, its a wait & see approach anytime coming into the Big10.
Hope he has some toughness to him as well as ball handling and shooting.

I guess I should clarify, I think he’s more of a role player, not a big scorer for a big 10 team. What has me more excited about him vs all our other deep shooters we’ve had recently is his ability to shoot it a variety of ways besides spot catch and shoot.

I’m honestly not sold on him until he starts proving it here. Level of competition seems iffy. I don’t like how a lot of his highlight film is 3 on 3. Hope McGowens can penetrate and we can find him open on the wing

I'm not sold on him either, he's tiny and will be a liability on defense in the Big Ten. Like a smaller Trevor Lakes. Lakes is finding that shooting numbers often don't transfer from lower levels to the Big Ten, this conference is loaded and actually plays physical defense.

If Tominaga is okay being a minor role player we bring in when our outside shooting is cold, then fine. But I think the scholarship would have been better used on a true point guard or an inside presence.

Last edited:
Tominaga wraps up his regular season at 14.5 ppg on 50/48/91. Shot 6.7 3s per game so it's a high percentage on volume.

Slightly down from last year at 16.8 ppg on 55/48/86. 7 3 point attempts per game

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">🎂🇯🇵 happy birthday, <a href="https://twitter.com/KeiseiTominaga?ref_src=twsrc^tfw">@KeiseiTominaga</a> 🎂🇯🇵 <a href="https://t.co/W0vZaMxwVi">pic.twitter.com/W0vZaMxwVi</a></p>&mdash; FIBA3x3 (@FIBA3x3) <a href=" ">February 1, 2021</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
Looks like a girls ball they're playing with.

Reactions: Can o' corn
Think he's a major reach for a scholarship. People call him the Japanese Steph Curry. I dont see it. He's undersized and other than a nice shooting stroke doesnt have any of the other skills Curry possesses.

Think he's a major reach for a scholarship. People call him the Japanese Steph Curry. I dont see it. He's undersized and other than a nice shooting stroke doesnt have any of the other skills Curry possesses.
I think most of it is tongue in cheek, iwbh.

If his shooting translates remotely close to where it is right now, I think he could justify the offer. Heck, Steve Kerr made a pretty good career for himself having shooting as his claim to fame and not much else.

He'll be a role player of the bench, I'd be surprised if he plays more than 10 minutes a game. I think he'll be a liability on defense in the Big Ten, because of his size.

If his shooting translates remotely close to where it is right now, I think he could justify the offer. Heck, Steve Kerr made a pretty good career for himself having shooting as his claim to fame and not much else.
Kerr also had the gumption to go so hard at Michael Jordan in practice that he got Jordan to punch him in the face. I think Kerr has 8 titles? Five as a player and three as a coach.

ADVERTISEMENT