ADVERTISEMENT

10th Time NU has lost by 30+ Points Since Joining the B1G

Husker4real

Senior
Nov 25, 2017
From Chatelain's column this morning:

"Since joining the Big Ten, the Huskers have now lost 10 games by 30 points or more. Ten! By comparison, it’s happened to Northwestern four times. Minnesota three times. Iowa has lost by 30 once."

This is what gnaws at me. Aside from Rutgers, who else in the B1G gets routinely boat-raced like Nebraska does? Maybe Maryland? Ohio State beat Indiana by 41 two wees ago - but never led them 48-0. That's the company we're keeping.

Nebraska is doing something wrong. Nebraska still looks like an FCS team far too often.

First, Dirk is a Nebraska hater.

Second, Northwestern, Iowa and Minnesota have not won a national in over 60 years.

Third, they run systems that grind out a lot of time on the click and they focus on run defense. It's why a good, athletic team like Ohio State pissed pounds them on the regular.

If you want boring, never competing for national titles, and never having deep death, then go and cheer on those MN, Northwestern's and Iowa's of the world.

Second, Northwestern, Iowa and Minnesota have not won a national in over 60 years.

Third, they run systems that grind out a lot of time on the click and they focus on run defense. It's why a good, athletic team like Ohio State pissed pounds them on the regular.

If you want boring, never competing for national titles, and never having deep death, then go and cheer on those MN, Northwestern's and Iowa's of the world.
Honestly, I’d say Arby’s has the best roast beef sandwiches.

Was there something incorrect with Chatelain's comment? He wasn't stating an opinion in that paragraph.

And I'd like to better understand why I have to watch Nebraska get boat-raced on a regular basis in exchange for National Title's a generation ago.

Was there something incorrect with Chatelain's comment? He wasn't stating an opinion in that paragraph.

And I'd like to better understand why I have to watch Nebraska get boat-raced on a regular basis in exchange for National Title's a generation ago.

You want to model never winning a national title or model programs that win national titles? Who gives a shit if you go 40 years and never lose by more than 17 a few times if you never win a natty.

"Since joining the Big Ten, the Huskers have now lost 10 games by 30 points or more. Ten! By comparison, it’s happened to Northwestern four times. Minnesota three times. Iowa has lost by 30 once."

This is what gnaws at me. Aside from Rutgers, who else in the B1G gets routinely boat-raced like Nebraska does? Maybe Maryland? Ohio State beat Indiana by 41 two wees ago - but never led them 48-0. That's the company we're keeping.

Nebraska is doing something wrong. Nebraska still looks like an FCS team far too often.
by joining this league, Nebraska erased it's entire tradition and standing in the other leagues (8 & 12) and basically started over at square 1.

throw in all the coaching changes, and different offensive and defensive styles, and you have an identity crisis of not only who you are, but how you prepare and play coupled with some ancient history of who you used to be as your standard.

It's really more like starting a new team from scratch. It is why I say joining the B1G was the nail in the coffin for Husker football.

One could argue that they should revisit that 500 million expansion idea, and just live on the B1G money and try to be somewhat competitive, like all the other smart schools in the league do.

Husker football is like retired and getting a check now.

Well it's one way to look at it.

And since we joined we’ve struggled on defense the most, at first we had to adopt from Speard out Big 12 football to B1G run heavy football at then we had two defensive coordinator’s with not enough defense talent.

Now we are still in the same boat with not enough talent making this 3-4 defense work with Chins aggressive style of attaching..

It a All comes down having defense that haven’t been worth a damn..

And since we joined we’ve struggled on defense the most, at first we had to adopt from Speard out Big 12 football to B1G run heavy football at then we had two defensive coordinator’s with not enough defense talent.

Now we are still in the same boat with not enough talent making this 3-4 defense work with Chins aggressive style of attaching..

It a All comes down having defense that haven’t been worth a damn..
Yep. Like others have said since the butt whoopin, not a good time to break out the alternative blackshirts uniforms. NO WAY near the level

Yep. Like others have said since the butt whoopin, not a good time to break out the alternative blackshirts uniforms. NO WAY near the level

Don’t even get me started with that shit...

Don’t care if we ever see them if we’re going to play like this..

If Nebraska stayed in the Big 12 we wouldn’t be boatraced then?

The problem isn’t the conference... it’s the product on the field. And until we have better players and a well oiled system in place (which includes good coaching) it will continue to happen no matter what conference we are a part of.

If Nebraska stayed in the Big 12 we wouldn’t be boatraced then?

The problem isn’t the conference... it’s the product on the field. And until we have better players and a well oiled system in place (which includes good coaching) it will continue to happen no matter what conference we are a part of.
Are you thinking there needs to be tweaking?

You want to model never winning a national title or model programs that win national titles? Who gives a shit if you go 40 years and never lose by more than 17 a few times if you never win a natty.

Not following your logic. Why is Nebraska repeatedly getting embarrassed and outclassed a required step on the way to a National Championship? How many times did NU lose by 30 points or more between the 1971 and 1994 titles? Answer - twice. Both to Oklahoma.

I'm sorry if you don't see it, but getting throttled repeatedly and more often by teams that we don't even view as peers, strikes me as a cause for concern.

Not following your logic. Why is Nebraska repeatedly getting embarrassed and outclassed a required step on the way to a National Championship? How many times did NU lose by 30 points or more between the 1971 and 1994 titles? Answer - twice. Both to Oklahoma.

I'm sorry if you don't see it, but getting throttled repeatedly and more often by teams that we don't even view as peers, strikes me as a cause for concern.
Ok, so what would you do?

The “we are losing so let’s change everything” approach is why we are getting continually boat raced... You would be very happy being an Iowa fan... they never change....

Used time machine for sale.

Reactions: Sinomatic
ohio state showed a lot of morality, I think they could have beat the 70 point texas tech hanged on us,

this ass kicking reminded me of when solich had NU looking like a high school team in austin, good thing mac brown was moral also

all these 30 point drumming seem like a blur now...whens volleyball season???
This is a sad chapter in Nebraska football, discussing the teams that have had mercy on us versus the ones who have not....

Reactions: Huskred01

We can’t compete in this conference. It’s too physical.

We need go back to the Big12 where we’re more suited. Finesse & speed football.

A lot of people don’t like Chatelain, but he points out the hard truths that nobody wants to hear. If the Michigan and Ohio State games would have been within a couple touchdowns, he would have nothing to write about. I appreciate somebody who is not a mouthpiece for a coaching staff.

Clearly that sucks!

Clearly, in contrast to the team that "sucks" to the East, as per College GameDay signs and chants in Lincoln highlighted.

As one Cyclone would point out this weekend.

The Media liked the Huskers heading into 2019. They liked Michigan too!
Huge game on Saturday, with Northwestern's back against the wall. We have witnessed this before.

What does Iowa have to do with it? They boat race Nebraska too.

Are you thinking there needs to be tweaking?
Yes, in a certain sense, there does. I’m thinking Frost is still a young head coach who has a lot to learn. Too many of us were looking for immediate improvement to the tune of back to 9+ wins a season... it seems as though we pinned too much on him too soon. I do believe he is a smart coach and will continue to work on this until he gets it back to competing for championships, but it will apparently take longer.

I was driving last night and missed the game. But apparently we came out in one drive in the I formation. That tells me he will make changes, doing what it takes to get the job done. He is tweaking things now and will continue to tweak things until he finds success.

It’s up to individuals in the fan base to determine if they will jump off or not. I’m still in it for the long haul.

Reactions: HuskerDana
Yes, in a certain sense, there does. I’m thinking Frost is still a young head coach who has a lot to learn. Too many of us were looking for immediate improvement to the tune of back to 9+ wins a season... it seems as though we pinned too much on him too soon. I do believe he is a smart coach and will continue to work on this until he gets it back to competing for championships, but it will apparently take longer.

I was driving last night and missed the game. But apparently we came out in one drive in the I formation. That tells me he will make changes, doing what it takes to get the job done. He is tweaking things now and will continue to tweak things until he finds success.

It’s up to individuals in the fan base to determine if they will jump off or not. I’m still in it for the long haul.
Ok I thought you were suggestions asst coach changes as in personel

Can’t stand that guy (Chatelain). And who cares? No one is keeping score. We just have to get back to beating the teams that we should beat (Like Bo did) and build from there. Getting embarrassed isn’t fun but a year from now no one from the outside is going to remember.

Since 2000, Ohio State largest margins of victory vs Iowa have been 28 and 25 points. Iowa’s largest margin of victory vs Ohio State have been 31 and 26 points. Take a look at your facts before spewing complete crap.

Ok I thought you were suggestions asst coach changes as in personel
I’m not smart enough, not paid the big bucks, to make that decision. Since I didn’t see the game, I really don’t know where to look.

What I now believe is Frost doesn’t walk on water after all. I was expecting for 9-10 wins this year. I need to change that. But I do believe he is smart enough to get Nebraska back to competing for championships. It’s just going to take longer than I want it to.

I’m not smart enough, not paid the big bucks, to make that decision. Since I didn’t see the game, I really don’t know where to look.

What I now believe is Frost doesn’t walk on water after all. I was expecting for 9-10 wins this year. I need to change that. But I do believe he is smart enough to get Nebraska back to competing for championships. It’s just going to take longer than I want it to.
Not wanting to put words in his mouth, but I don't think Coach Frost would want you to think he does.

2017 Iowa 55 Ohio state 24.

Reactions: pmtdc

Five of those 30+ losses were in 2016 and 2017 under Mike Riley.

Great post. This is what bugs me the most. We looked lost and our QB looked scared. We are doing something wrong and that starts with being out coached every game and this finesse football we play. We must be more physical and must run the football better. We should be able to handoff to a full back and get a 1st down when it is 3rd and 1 instead of running sideways. I am shocked that Scott Frost does not see this.

Not wanting to put words in his mouth, but I don't think Coach Frost would want you to think he does.
For sure. It’s just the nature of the beast. Expectations were through the roof when Frost came home. People thought he was a miracle maker. Reality is different. I think he’ll get it done, just gotta be patient.

Reactions: huskerfan66
Clearly that sucks!

Clearly, in contrast to the team that "sucks" to the East, as per College GameDay signs and chants in Lincoln highlighted.

As one Cyclone would point out this weekend.

The Media liked the Huskers heading into 2019. They liked Michigan too!
Huge game on Saturday, with Northwestern's back against the wall. We have witnessed this before.
I completely agree. The Iowa Sucks chant is one of the stupidest thing Huskers do at this stage of the series.

Great post. This is what bugs me the most. We looked lost and our QB looked scared. We are doing something wrong and that starts with being out coached every game and this finesse football we play. We must be more physical and must run the football better. We should be able to handoff to a full back and get a 1st down when it is 3rd and 1 instead of running sideways. I am shocked that Scott Frost does not see this.
This is essentially what I said. Just in a longer post.

We’re a finesse team in a physical conference.

by joining this league, Nebraska erased it's entire tradition and standing in the other leagues (8 & 12) and basically started over at square 1.

throw in all the coaching changes, and different offensive and defensive styles, and you have an identity crisis of not only who you are, but how you prepare and play coupled with some ancient history of who you used to be as your standard.

It's really more like starting a new team from scratch. It is why I say joining the B1G was the nail in the coffin for Husker football.

One could argue that they should revisit that 500 million expansion idea, and just live on the B1G money and try to be somewhat competitive, like all the other smart schools in the league do.

Husker football is like retired and getting a check now.

Well it's one way to look at it.

This. I hated to see NU leave the Big 12, when they did I told anyone that would listen that NU just lost its recruiting and regional fanbase. NU’s new prime TV region: Michigan, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Minnesota, Iowa, Illinois, etc..there was simply no generation after generation love of NU as a school with kids, families, and high schools in the BIG region. How do you expect to recruit in Ohio against Ohio St? Kids, moms, and dads, for over the last 100 years have dreamed of sending their kids to Oh St. Other BIG schools been recruiting these states since football was invented.

Nebraska does not have the population base to have enough high-end talent to support a national title contender.

So Nebraska left a recruiting base and fanbase that had some brand knowledge and respect.

Hate to say it, but it was pretty arrogant for NU to think it could leave the Big 12 and go to the BIG and walk in to prime recruiting states like Michigan, Ohio, and Pennsylvania and pull big time recruits immediately, fast enough to keep the program out of mediocrity in the BIG and then falling further behind.

Then, you destroy all of your rivalry games and the familiarity of fans you had from the Big 12. You destroy one of the all time best rivalry games on thanksgiving day. Oklahoma State fans thank you.

It takes decades (takes 18 years to develop a recruit), to overcome the branding and the familiarity all of these parents, high school kids and coaches have with the original BIG teams, it is a multiple generational issue. Could take 30-40 years.

Kids you are recruiting today have never seen NU perform at the highest levels of college football and the kids that see you play the most are in the TV footprint of the BIG have generations of families with BIG degrees and pulling for their BIG teams.

Tough deal, NU acted out emotion to leave the Big 12 and I felt never thought this all the way out.

Unfortunately, I am not surprised what has happened to NU football.

Last edited:
I appreciate you POV but......
It takes decades (takes 18 years to develop a recruit), to overcome the branding and the familiarity all of these parents, high school kids and coaches have with the original BIG teams, it is a multiple generational issue. Could take 30-40 years.
Disagree here. The adjustment period for a conference change is 5-7 years max IMO. There is no prohibition against recruiting athletes in regions where B12 schools are located and Nebraska has recruited nationally for at least the last 40 years anyway. The Huskers have a national reputation so there should be no branding issue per se.

Beyond sad. Unfortunately it won't be the last time till we grow a pair and man up.
What's really sad - is this could easily become the 4th time in 5 yrs we have a losing record. Like Scott said, "this is who we are and what we are" - and unfortunately, we are a very mediocre team that has very little chance of rising above what we've seen.

Reactions: pmtdc and Huskred01
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT