ADVERTISEMENT

103….

Does anyone know the limitations applied to scholarship players? I know Rhule has spots for players to continue being supported with scholarship money if they agree to a release and just be NU students (and possible intramural flag FB stars). And of course the portal is an option. But can current scholarship guys release from the program and still be on the roster, supported by NIL or their own dough? I'm thinking not.

I'm spending my time thinking about the top 20 guys on the roster, not the bottom 20. This will all get worked out, and I really don't see why we'd be concerned about how. If some guy that is never going to play is still on the roster, not on the roster, getting NIL, paying their own way... who cares?

I'm spending my time thinking about the top 20 guys on the roster, not the bottom 20. This will all get worked out, and I really don't see why we'd be concerned about how. If some guy that is never going to play is still on the roster, not on the roster, getting NIL, paying their own way... who cares?
There's no way NIL will get anywhere near what a scholarship gets. In addition to school, board, books, food, living stipend, etc, The NIL money is not guaranteed and also taxed. Noone is giving them that much if they're essentially a walk on.

I don't think quitters like Betts should be allowed to come back and go on scholarship immediately.

Earn it MFer

Reactions: InMotion
Smothers??? Over HH??? Interesting.

Betts??? Gonna have to disagree on that one to....the rest??? Agree....
HH is younger and I've heard Rhule say his name in a few different interviews that he likes his skillset. I think Betts is on scholarship but he's flaked once so he could be someone who doesn't stick or we give him walk-on + NIL money this year. Has the talent though.

• Love
Reactions: king_kong_
HH is younger and I've heard Rhule say his name in a few different interviews that he likes his skillset. I think Betts is on scholarship but he's flaked once so he could be someone who doesn't stick or we give him walk-on + NIL money this year. Has the talent though.
People forget Betts flaked and dont realize or remember that he was a distraction.

Reactions: JabroniBlvd
Not sure if he’s the same guy today. New coaches will surely press the right buttons with Betts or he will be gone. He won’t be the distraction long if nothing has changed, imo.
Bingo. Grown ass men getting all up in their “feels” over it is pretty sad

If this was a year or two down the road then yes... however, with the ineptitude of the last staff no one really knows what some of those guys have in them... Give them a chance this spring like what's being conveyed and see how it pans out... then, yes... cut them loose
Clearly they wait until after spring, considering you don't need to be down to 85 until August

Does anyone know the limitations applied to scholarship players? I know Rhule has spots for players to continue being supported with scholarship money if they agree to a release and just be NU students (and possible intramural flag FB stars). And of course the portal is an option. But can current scholarship guys release from the program and still be on the roster, supported by NIL or their own dough? I'm thinking not.
Think Doug McDermott. He gave up his scholarship and dad paid full tuition, R/B and fees. As long as they get no university scholarships, they can stay on as a walk on. Since NIL doesn't technically come from the school, walk ons can accept NIL.

How many here would be shocked if Logan Smothers bulked up and switched to ILB? He is listed at 6'2"/190. He had a top-10 finish at the Alabama state championship in the 60-meter dash. In 2021 Haason Reddick walked onto Temple as a 6'1" 210 lb RB/Safety. Shaun Bradley was a 2* 6'2"/200 lb running back when he showed up at Temple. They both switched to LB and both ended up in the NFL.
Agree. HE's a good athlete that has limited potential at QB. Enough speed and size to play a number of positions. Many forget a guy like Tony Veland that started as a QB but switched to DB and played in the NFL.

Purdy has been terrible....I find it difficult to believe MR wouldn't rather have Smothers as he apoears to be a superior athlete....but frankly, I'm not thrilled about the QB room, at all. So i'm not sure it really matters who is #3....or 4....or 5. At that point we're in very deep shit regardless.
Purdy has already transferred once so he would need to go to a lower division school, bet he wants to stick it out, if, he has a choice. Does Big allow you to pull a scholarship?

I could see Haarberg going home to play at unk
He might fit there now with new coaches. Last coach operated a very run heavy offense and had one of best QBs in Div 2 there so there could be a good spot for him but he also is talented enough to play FCS for sure and maybe lower level FBS he just needs to get on the field somewhere!!

No way Haarberg starts at UNK though. I honestly think TJ Davis could have started for us last year when Casey was hurt.
Has TJ made any indication of his plans since the coaching change happened? I would hope that Coach Held would want him there for the extra year of eligibility. TJ reportedly entertained transfer to FCS a year ago. And if he is at UNK I agree no way Haarberg would start. haarberg needs to get on the field and play somewhere he is far too good to sit the bench his whole career.

Reactions: HappyTrail3200
How many here would be shocked if Logan Smothers bulked up and switched to ILB? He is listed at 6'2"/190. He had a top-10 finish at the Alabama state championship in the 60-meter dash. In 2021 Haason Reddick walked onto Temple as a 6'1" 210 lb RB/Safety. Shaun Bradley was a 2* 6'2"/200 lb running back when he showed up at Temple. They both switched to LB and both ended up in the NFL.
Considering he hasn’t gained an ounce in 3 years here, I would be shocked

Yeah for those seniors who've already finished their undergrad degree, or only need a couple more classes in the fall, why not just have them walk-on and get NIL money? It seems like this would be an easy way to game the system.
Can’t do that.

Reactions: king_kong_
Purdy has been terrible....I find it difficult to believe MR wouldn't rather have Smothers as he apoears to be a superior athlete....but frankly, I'm not thrilled about the QB room, at all. So i'm not sure it really matters who is #3....or 4....or 5. At that point we're in very deep shit regardless.
Purdy and Smothers won’t be available until fall because of surgeries. Smothers’ scholarship is guaranteed but supposedly Purdy’s is not. I actually hope both stay. Experience matters at QB. IMO Rhule mentions Haarberg because he’s not sure what the status of our top 3 returning QBs is going to be physically. People forget that CT is rehabbing a potentially career limiting injury too. We need a minimum of 5 worthy scholarship QBs on the roster IMO. Hopefully Synek sticks around too. That kid can sling it.

Reactions: OzzyLvr
It'll be interesting to see which of the vet players step up under this new regime. I think alot of politics was going on under Frost. I guess we'll see...
Exactly, I loved hearing at Rhules PC, he mentioned finding ways to get the best players on the field at all positions. so many times under previous coaches they just couldn’t seem to make that four*4*on the field or a three star even a three star on the field with development or they were simply playing the wrong person at that position.

Perfect example. and it’s just one. Why did it take injuries to both ILBs to get Earnest Hausmann on the field?

Alante Brown, and others too. It seemed like they got too little playing time for what you saw when they did make plays on the field.

1. Smothers (stays as a walkon- loves Nebraska as a whole too much)
2. Torres goes.
3. E. Johnson
4. Hardy
5. Jones
6. Braxton Clark
7. Tyreke Johnson
8. Seth Malcom
9. Kaine Williams
10. Tamon Lynum
11. Brodie Tagaloa
12. Surprise entrance to the royal rumble
13. Buford NIL
14. Newsome- NIL
15. Hunter Anthony walk-on/nil
16. Nick Heinrich use NIL
17. Snodgrass stays either on NIL or Walk-on
18. Casey NIL
I like this list the best. Except I’d rather keep Emmett and lose Gabe. Gabe’s football speed is slow and he’s not big enough to break a lot of tackles. Emmett has some wheels

LMAO at the people wanting Bonner and Hill to transfer out. Both had 1 year in the program and were our top recruits last year from (transfer in and HS) . Hill if finally at his natural spot. He should have never been a corner. He’s a freak athlete. Don’t be surprised if he starts this year.

Nor would I be surprised if Bonner started at some point. Mickey didn’t play Bonner last year because he wanted to persevere the talent and teach the right way. One year and everyone ready to give up on highly talented kids. Crazy

Last edited:
Reactions: njw30
Exactly, I loved hearing at Rhules PC, he mentioned finding ways to get the best players on the field at all positions. so many times under previous coaches they just couldn’t seem to make that four*4*on the field or a three star even a three star on the field with development or they were simply playing the wrong person at that position.

Perfect example. and it’s just one. Why did it take injuries to both ILBs to get Earnest Hausmann on the field?

Alante Brown, and others too. It seemed like they got too little playing time for what you saw when they did make plays on the field.
Hausman made a lot of mistakes that led to big plays. That said he appeared more athletically talented than the guys playing ahead of him.

Seems like the mind set is we need to develop players better but if they don't do anything as freshman we need to move on. ???? Johnson, Jones and Bonner are Redshirt freshman for gosh sakes. Lynum has a lot of.potential and is a sophomore.
Should probably stick to the upperclassmen who are fringe d-1 athletes.

Reactions: OzzyLvr
Purdy and Smothers won’t be available until fall because of surgeries. Smothers’ scholarship is guaranteed but supposedly Purdy’s is not. I actually hope both stay. Experience matters at QB. IMO Rhule mentions Haarberg because he’s not sure what the status of our top 3 returning QBs is going to be physically. People forget that CT is rehabbing a potentially career limiting injury too. We need a minimum of 5 worthy scholarship QBs on the roster IMO. Hopefully Synek sticks around too. That kid can sling it.
Dolph Ziggler Reaction GIF by WWE
Purdy’s experience thus far

I don’t get the theory that some of these guys are going to just give up free money (scholarship), which is for the most part not taxed, plus any NIL deal they have, which is taxed, to just take an NIL only deal and pay even more taxes.

Free education, free, or greatly reduced, housing, plus NIL money OR

Just NIL money then you pay your own way.

Especially guys like Henrich, Buford, Thomson and Newsome, who are going to be on the 2 deep at a minimum.

Plus there will probable be some more portal adds before fall. I think we will have to cut more than 20. My guess is you see a lot fewer “injuries” this spring.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT