ADVERTISEMENT

103….

HuskerDrew

Head Coach
Jun 12, 2001
103 currently listed on the scholly chart. 18 to cull as of today.
This spring will remind us of the camp in “The Program”…

Name the 18…. I’ll start

Purdy, Smothers, and either Haarberg or Torres(3)
RB- Johnson or Ervin
WR- 3 of Hill, Hardy, Bonner, Jones
TE - one, not sure who
OL - one, not sure who
DE/LB/DL- 4 total, not sure which but Snodgrass has to go
DBs - 3 including at least Tyreke and NPG
St - Bleekrode . Can’t have 2 kicker last on scholly
1 misc from either OL, or TE, maybe RB

That look about right?

Reactions: PeliniTheCrutch

Name the 18…. I’ll start

RB- Johnson or Ervin
TE - one, not sure who
OL - one, not sure who

That look about right?

Probably pretty accurate.

On RB was that E. Johnson or R. Johnson?

Not sure about losing 4 off of the front 7 on defense (without looking); we are pretty thin there but have to get to 85 somehow.

We will probably see the most movement out of the WR and DB rooms.

Reactions: BleedRed78

Not sure about losing 4 off of the front 7 on defense (without looking); we are pretty thin there but have to get to 85 somehow.

Yeah based on how many receivers were signed in this class, I'd bet that all the receivers who didn't contribute much last year will be gone. Especially if Betts and Castaneda make the cut.

Name the 18…. I’ll start

RB- Johnson or Ervin
TE - one, not sure who
OL - one, not sure who

That look about right?
Well he has said he wants 16 OL we don't have that many yet.

We need every DL body we can get until we get better ones to replace them.

I think we keep 5 RB's

I doubt we get rid of 3 QB's. Carry only 3?

WR for sure.

We will have a lot more than 85 "on scholarship".

Purdy, Smothers, Haarberg and Torres. One of these four will end up winning the 3rd and back up duties.

I think Haarberg transfers to a smaller school.. None of us has seen what Torres is capable of doing except what’s on high film.. Between Purdy and Smothers one will end up being a backup here for the rest of their time here the other will transfer and to a FCS team…

Yeah , I agree… WR and DB are going to be hotly contested to keep a spot.
For RB, that was Emmett I thought might go. Rahmir needs to stay. He has shown something in my eyes and we need to win 7+ this season. He, Ajay, and Grant should be our workhorses.

I personally would be ok keeping one more of the front 7 as you noted, and lose one more OL. Frankly, Anthony and Benhart wouldn’t be missed.

Of course, there’s at least one who we think will be here that chooses to leave.

The wildcards are Betts and IGC, hoping that they both end up thriving under the new coaches. We shall see.
GBR!

Reactions: headcard
Well he has said he wants 16 OL we don't have that many yet.

We need every DL body we can get until we get better ones to replace them.

I think we keep 5 RB's

I doubt we get rid of 3 QB's. Carry only 3?

WR for sure.

We will have a lot more than 85 "on scholarship".
Funny, I am looking at QBs based on my assumption that we land Raiola. Either way, we need a big time QB in the 2024 class.

Purdy, Smothers, Haarberg and Torres. One of these four will end up winning the 3rd and back up duties.

I think Haarberg transfers to a smaller school.. None of us has seen what Torres is capable of doing except what’s on high film.. Between Purdy and Smothers one will end up being a backup here for the rest of their time here the other will transfer and to a FCS team…
I could see Haarberg going home to play at unk

With NIL and all this I still don't know why the 85 number even exists... I understand trying to keep things level for smaller programs but teams are gonna do what they're gonna do so why try to enforce it?

I can see them keeping 2 scholly kickers this year. Obviously the recruit from Omaha is expected to be the future, but Bleekrode is pretty proven commodity who can also punt, and Buschini had some injury problems last year. But its entirely possible the placekicking disasters in 2019 and 2021 are still too fresh in my mind and clouding my judgment on this.

I think it's folly to make any predictions now given it's a new staff. Things could be radically different with a new staff.
What else do we have to do? To me it's just interesting speculation. I would say that occasionally a new staff will find an underutilized guy and coach him up, but most of the time guys who started for one staff are going to beat out the players below them on the depth chart under the new staff. It will be interesting to see if any of last year's roster steps it up next year.

Name the 18…. I’ll start

RB- Johnson or Ervin
TE - one, not sure who
OL - one, not sure who

That look about right?
I think Bleekrode stays.

Will Smothers even participate in Spring Practice? I think it would be difficult to ask him to leave if he doesn’t even get a chance. He may make that decision on his own, though I don’t think he will. I think Smothers is a better fit for the new offense than any of the others mentioned. If Rhule likes speed, Smothers has much more than the others.

Reactions: scarletred
I’m just happy for as much competition to know that the guys left standing earned their spot…. (including young guys showing they’re worth investing in.)….
except for the big class of freshmen who get a free seat at the table.

Name the 18…. I’ll start

RB- Johnson or Ervin
TE - one, not sure who
OL - one, not sure who

That look about right?

We need more Lattimers!! Get em back on the needle!! GBR!!

Last edited:
This is at the very top of my not concerned list. Pile up talent and let the coaches sort it out. Players have carte blanche to leave now, programs should have that same right. Quid pro quo

Reactions: dinglefritz
I would start with any player that has been on campus for 4 years and hasn't sniffed the field and tell them their scholarship is not being renewed. That will eliminate enough to where the coaches can get tell the 10 guys they should transfer or their scholarship will be changed to a non football scholarship and they won't be on the roster. At that point, you will be at 85 or less.

1. Tommi Hill
  2. Tamon Lynum
  3. Richard Torres
  4. Logan Smothers
  5. DeShon Singleton
  6. Braxton Clark
  7. Tyreke Johnson
  8. Noa Pola-Gates
  9. Emmett Johnson
  10. Javier Morton
  11. Garrett Snodgrass
  12. Seth Malcom
  13. Shawn Hardy
  14. Chris Hickman
  15. Brodie Tagaloa
  16. Victor Jones
  17. Janiran Bonner
  18. Zavier Betts or IGC

I would start with any player that has been on campus for 4 years and hasn't sniffed the field and tell them their scholarship is not being renewed. That will eliminate enough to where the coaches can get tell the 10 guys they should transfer or their scholarship will be changed to a non football scholarship and they won't be on the roster. At that point, you will be at 85 or less.
If this was a year or two down the road then yes... however, with the ineptitude of the last staff no one really knows what some of those guys have in them... Give them a chance this spring like what's being conveyed and see how it pans out... then, yes... cut them loose

1. Tommi Hill
  2. Tamon Lynum
  3. Richard Torres
  4. Logan Smothers
  5. DeShon Singleton
  6. Braxton Clark
  7. Tyreke Johnson
  8. Noa Pola-Gates
  9. Emmett Johnson
  10. Javier Morton
  11. Garrett Snodgrass
  12. Seth Malcom
  13. Shawn Hardy
  14. Chris Hickman
  15. Brodie Tagaloa
  16. Victor Jones
  17. Janiran Bonner
  18. Zavier Betts or IGC

Smothers??? Over HH??? Interesting.

Betts??? Gonna have to disagree on that one to....the rest??? Agree....

I'm not a fan of the revolving door of players, and I hope this is a one off thing.

Smothers??? Over HH??? Interesting.

Betts??? Gonna have to disagree on that one to....the rest??? Agree....
Betts gets his second chance, I agree he won’t be leaving..

Haargberg instead Smothers ? but can he beat out Purdy. Torres is a wild card we still don’t know how good of a runner he is but he does have a gun for an arm.

Haargberg instead Smothers but can he beat out Purdy. Torres is a wild card he still don’t know how good of a runner he is but he does have a gun for a arm.

Purdy has been terrible....I find it difficult to believe MR wouldn't rather have Smothers as he apoears to be a superior athlete....but frankly, I'm not thrilled about the QB room, at all. So i'm not sure it really matters who is #3....or 4....or 5. At that point we're in very deep shit regardless.

Purdy has been terrible....I find it difficult to believe MR wouldn't rather have Smothers as he apoears to be a superior athlete....but frankly, I'm not thrilled about the QB room, at all. So i'm not sure it really matters who is #3....or 4....or 5. At that point we're in very deep shit regardless.
Jim Simms can be a pretty good QB in Rhule’s offense and Casey Thompson just needs to recover from surgery…. MR won’t be keeping 5 QB after spring ball. .

Reactions: litespeedhuskerfan

Haargberg instead Smothers ? but can he beat out Purdy. Torres is a wild card we still don’t know how good of a runner he is but he does have a gun for an arm.
I don't think Rhule will snatch a scholarship from incoming freshman, so 6 spots are protected. The room has 16 scholarships now. How many players will Rhule carry here going into fall? 14? 13? Betts has the ability to easily be in the top 6. Does IGC? Does Hill move on? Victor Jones?
Why would anyone think Haarberg would stay over Smothers? He hasn't been above him on the depth chart yet and the new offense will feature some running from the QB.

Reactions: OzzyLvr
Departures - numbers below should be considered low hanging fruit. There is going to be some serious competition for rosters spots.
QB - 1 or 2
RB - 1
WR - 2 or 3
TE - 1 or 2
OL - 1
DL - 0
LB - 1
Edge - 0
CB - 2 or 3
S - 2
Total 11/15

Reactions: HominidHusker
1. Smothers (stays as a walkon- loves Nebraska as a whole too much)
2. Torres goes.
3. E. Johnson
4. Hardy
5. Jones
6. Braxton Clark
7. Tyreke Johnson
8. Seth Malcom
9. Kaine Williams
10. Tamon Lynum
11. Brodie Tagaloa
12. Surprise entrance to the royal rumble
13. Buford NIL
14. Newsome- NIL
15. Hunter Anthony walk-on/nil
16. Nick Heinrich use NIL
17. Snodgrass stays either on NIL or Walk-on
18. Casey NIL

Reactions: leodisflowers
1. Smothers (stays as a walkon- loves Nebraska as a whole too much)
2. Torres goes.
3. E. Johnson
4. Hardy
5. Jones
6. Braxton Clark
7. Tyreke Johnson
8. Seth Malcom
9. Kaine Williams
10. Tamon Lynum
11. Brodie Tagaloa
12. Surprise entrance to the royal rumble
13. Buford NIL
14. Newsome- NIL
15. Hunter Anthony walk-on/nil
16. Nick Heinrich use NIL
17. Snodgrass stays either on NIL or Walk-on
18. Casey NIL

Yeah for those seniors who've already finished their undergrad degree, or only need a couple more classes in the fall, why not just have them walk-on and get NIL money? It seems like this would be an easy way to game the system.

Yeah for those seniors who've already finished their undergrad degree, or only need a couple more classes in the fall, why not just have them walk-on and get NIL money? It seems like this would be an easy way to game the system.
Thats my thinking.
I also Kept Snodgrass cause I believe hed make a decent full back. he was a hard nose runner in high school

How many here would be shocked if Logan Smothers bulked up and switched to ILB? He is listed at 6'2"/190. He had a top-10 finish at the Alabama state championship in the 60-meter dash. In 2021 Haason Reddick walked onto Temple as a 6'1" 210 lb RB/Safety. Shaun Bradley was a 2* 6'2"/200 lb running back when he showed up at Temple. They both switched to LB and both ended up in the NFL.

Reactions: SLOHusker
ADVERTISEMENT