ADVERTISEMENT

100% on Mickey

BrighteRed24

Junior
Nov 5, 2018
Smothers made 4 throws on those last two drives that are so far superior to any throw Purdy made in 5 quarters.

We got to see 2 quarters of evidence last week that Purdy can’t play and yet we rolled with him for 3 quarters today.

This is 100% on Mickey and he should no longer be under head coaching consideration for this reason alone.

Smothers made 4 throws on those last two drives that are so far superior to any throw Purdy made in 5 quarters.

We got to see 2 quarters of evidence last week that Purdy can’t play and yet we rolled with him for 3 quarters today.

This is 100% on Mickey and he should no longer be under head coaching consideration for this reason alone.
That QB change was at least a quarter too late. Purdy might look better in practice but on the field Smothers is clearly the better QB.

Smothers is not a good thrower either. This was easy to see when he was being recruited.

The reason Smothers was the better choice, is because he doesn't have confidence problems.

Whipple is so far down the pass happy decision tree, he will always choose the guy he thinks can pass better, and technically, that is Purdy.. but Whip isn't considering the confidence problem, which is a big sin in my book.

MJ should have intervened much sooner.

Wasn't on Mickey. He said from the get go he was going to let Whipple make the offense decisions
Mickey is the HEAD COACH! I agree that Whipple has a love affair with Casey and Purdy. They are his boys. Smothers, Harrberg and Masker are not. I don't understand how Mickey and Whipple could not tell from their view from the sidelines that Purdy did not have it. My Husker friend in Seattle and me in Eastern Washington were calling for Smothers at the end of the 1st half. If we can see it from this far away, I don't understand why they can't standing right there.

If Purdy starts next week the game will be over from the get-go.

Reactions: SkerInCo
Smothers is not a good thrower either. This was easy to see when he was being recruited.

The reason Smothers was the better choice, is because he doesn't have confidence problems.

Whipple is so far down the pass happy decision tree, he will always choose the guy he thinks can pass better, and technically, that is Purdy.. but Whip isn't considering the confidence problem, which is a big sin in my book.

I have not seen that Smothers can't throw. A great passer? Not really. But good enough to win and hit receivers in stride? Yes. Add in his foot speed and poise and it's a lot better than what Purdy was doing. I am completely underwhelmed by what I've seen by Purdy thus far. His arm looks weak and his passes wobble. He underthrew and overthrew receivers the whole game.

I have not seen that Smothers can't throw. A great passer? Not really. But good enough to win and hit receivers in stride? Yes. Add in his foot speed and poise and it's a lot better than what Purdy was doing. I am completely underwhelmed by what I've seen by Purdy thus far. His arm looks weak and his passes wobble. He underthrew and overthrew receivers the whole game.
He's always scared me in the passing game, from his recruiting tape.. but he's a confident kid.

Purdy is not, and that's a big problem, and we saw it today, like a virus that spread to the receivers and other players.

The same crap happened with Martinez.

You can't have unconfident QB's on your team. You just can't have that kind of garbage going on. It's not fair to everyone else on the team. You have to get those kind of guys off the team and out of your program.

He's always scared me in the passing game, from his recruiting tape.. but he's a confident kid.

Purdy is not, and that's a big problem, and we saw it today, like a virus that spread to the receivers and other players.

The same crap happened with Martinez.

You can't have unconfident QB's on your team. You just can't have that kind of garbage going on. It's not fair to everyone else on the team. You have to get those kind of guys off the team and out of your program.
Smothers seems to be able to put some zip on the ball. Purdy is a slower McCaffrey. Really a liability for the offense. The receivers had no chance on 90% of his throws.

What evidence is there that Purdy is the better passer? Seriously.

I never said Smothers is a good thrower.
Exactly, Smothers is much more effective passer than Purdy

it's why Whip made him #2..

the confidence thing ruins an otherwise ok practice player.. this is competitive sports and Whip should also know better.

As an outsider and Gopher fan I’ll say this. Joseph had his team amped and ready to play today. Your team played their asses off. That means something. It’s easy for a 3-5 team in November to quit. That clearly wasn’t the case today. It shows the players are responding positively to his coaching.

As an outsider and Gopher fan I’ll say this. Joseph had his team amped and ready to play today. Your team played their asses off. That means something. It’s easy for a 3-5 team in November to quit. That clearly wasn’t the case today. It shows the players are responding positively to his coaching.
Our team played hard last year at 3-8 against Iowa too. It doesn’t mean shit.

The only thing that matters is winning

Reactions: BleedRed78

Purdy doesn't throw better than Smothers. Smothers is a 4 and Purdy is a 3.

That was a demonstration of a team, coaches to players, that doesn’t know how to win. Disinterested as well.
Anyone ever see Casey engaged in the game? He looked bored and out of touch every time they showed him.
Play calling was atrocious. Unfathomable you can’t teach your QBs to run a few pass plays that aren’t out of desperation.
Disgusting offense. Defense crumbled because they got worn out probly with the inept offense.

Kudos to Marcus Washington for his catch. Beyond that, I saw nothing in that game that was anything beyond pedestrian, low level ball.

People said the same thing last year when we almost beat Michigan, Ohio State, Wisconsin, and Iowa...."Frost still has the boys playing hard and competing, he's so close".

The difference is that Mickey hasn't even played a really good team yet. Frost played six Top 20 teams close last year. When Michigan beats us by 30-40 next week, hopefully that will silence the remaining Mickey fanboys.

Reactions: BleedRed78
Anyone notice, MJ doesn’t say $hit into his headset while on offense?

MJ is not NU head coach material.

People said the same thing last year when we almost beat Michigan, Ohio State, Wisconsin, and Iowa...."Frost still has the boys playing hard and competing, he's so close".

The difference is that Mickey hasn't even played a really good team yet. Frost played six Top 20 teams close last year. When Michigan beats us by 30-40 next week, hopefully that will silence the remaining Mickey fanboys.
Other then Michigan, the schedule is not getting harder. Looking at the standings in the West, Illinois seems to be the best team. So we have played a really good team. Minnesota has the best record right behind them. We could have won both games.

We don't have quality depth, and every year we have been losing quality players.

MJ can recruit, and I'm sure he has different coordinators in mind. I'm still leaning towards this direction, because it's going to take any coach to come in and do a rebuild starting with talent.

The QB room needs some serious attention. And if we are not careful, we are going to lose people in the RB & WR room.

Reactions: Laner2
Our success today was when we ran the ball well and short and quick passes. Smothers could of done that just as well as Purdy. For some reason after the first two series, Whipple started to try and throw the ball downfield. Once Minnesota saw that Purdy can't throw the ball downfield, that changed the game.

In my opinion, the problem was Whipple's play calling and Purdy combined. Put in Smothers and call plays to his strengths, one of which, is he is a bigger threat to run. My opinion is the best coaches adapt to their players strengths.

I haven't read a lot of the board today but did anyone else say WTF after the 3rd or 4th delayed draw?

Michigan is going to take an enormous dump all over us. See Harbaugh running it up on us.
Maybe we can meet them in the tunnel afterwards for a few kind words.

Our success today was when we ran the ball well and short and quick passes. Smothers could of done that just as well as Purdy. For some reason after the first two series, Whipple started to try and throw the ball downfield. Once Minnesota saw that Purdy can't throw the ball downfield, that changed the game.

In my opinion, the problem was Whipple's play calling and Purdy combined. Put in Smothers and call plays to his strengths, one of which, is he is a bigger threat to run. My opinion is the best coaches adapt to their players strengths.

I haven't read a lot of the board today but did anyone else say WTF after the 3rd or 4th delayed draw?
lots of guys were pounding the table on that delayed draw play.. I think your analysis is spot on. Whip needed to play a diff QB and make another play calling adjustment, which he failed to do.

Reactions: dinglefritz
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT