ADVERTISEMENT

10 Most Successful Football Programs in NCAA History

Serious question: Why don't we claim more national championships? I think a year or two ago I looked up some things about claiming national championships (as you have teams like texas, alabama, michigan, etc. who arguably make some BS claims) and by my count Nebraska could claim 11 total. The slideshow the OP linked brings this up as well by saying Nebraska claims 5 national championships and has 6 unclaimed. So why the don't we claim the other 6??
Hell, look at what Texas A&M did when they moved to the $EC. They suddenly claim two national championships and even a Big 12 championship in 97' when Nebraska curb stomped them 54-15 in the CCG!

Serious question: Why don't we claim more national championships? I think a year or two ago I looked up some things about claiming national championships (as you have teams like texas, alabama, michigan, etc. who arguably make some BS claims) and by my count Nebraska could claim 11 total. The slideshow the OP linked brings this up as well by saying Nebraska claims 5 national championships and has 6 unclaimed. So why the don't we claim the other 6??
Hell, look at what Texas A&M did when they moved to the $EC. They suddenly claim two national championships and even a Big 12 championship in 97' when Nebraska curb stomped them 54-15 in the CCG!

The AP and coaches poll used to "declare" their rankings prior to the bowl games circa 1970. A team could lose their bowl game, but were still ranked #1. There were also other polls before the 70's.

The prestige of being #1 starts around 1970 with only the AP and coaches poll. I see no reason to claim anything prior to that.

Serious question: Why don't we claim more national championships?

Nebraska should. All college football FBS National Champions (save 2014...maybe) are merely opinions. Opinions are like belly buttons we all have one and Husker belly buttons are as good as the next.

(as you have teams like texas, alabama, michigan, etc. who arguably make some BS claims)

Michigan is 102-0-2 in the seasons they claim a National Championship.
Texas is 45-1 in the seasons they claim a National Championship.
Alabama is 155-6-2 in the seasons they claim a National Championship.

Nebraska is 62-0-1 in seasons they claim a National Championship.

None of those records appear to be unsupportive of claiming a National Championship to me.

Just my belly button.
Go Blue!

ADVERTISEMENT