ADVERTISEMENT

10 Game, Big 10 only schedule likely

Disastrous for NU. You take 3 of the most winnable games off the schedule and hand NU a conference opponent as their 10th game. Best case they get Maryland. Worst case they get Michigan. Given the way the B1G likes to schedule us, go ahead and just assume the "Leaders and Best" are coming to town in September.

Even Indiana, as we've seen, is no penciled-in W.

It feels optimistic to predict .500 with that schedule.

Would have made a lot of sense back in the Big 8 days. But when your conference stretches from Maryland and New Jersey to Lincoln, Nebraska - how is this schedule safer?

Don't get me wrong - I'd rather see 10 games than no games. I just don't see the reasoning behind it.

Disastrous for NU. You take 3 of the most winnable games off the schedule and hand NU a conference opponent as their 10th game. Best case they get Maryland. Worst case they get Michigan. Given the way the B1G likes to schedule us, go ahead and just assume the "Leaders and Best" are coming to town in September.

Cincinnati wasn’t one of the more winnable games.

Would have made a lot of sense back in the Big 8 days. But when your conference stretches from Maryland and New Jersey to Lincoln, Nebraska - how is this schedule safer?

Don't get me wrong - I'd rather see 10 games than no games. I just don't see the reasoning behind it.

The reasoning is keeping more of the TV money in conference...

It was initially reported by Tom Dienhart though initially. Remember, he's literally the worst college football reporter in America.
this shouldn't be glossed over. same with the fact this 'power 5 coach' making these claims doesn't believe in them enough to put his name next to them.

This is just a guess of course but us playing OSU and PSU already this year...I highly doubt they give us Michigan too. More then likely it will be MSU, Indiana or Maryland. And it should be a home game, we play 5 away games and 4 home games in the BIG 10 scheduling this year. So that’s a plus.

Cincinnati wasn’t one of the more winnable games.
I didn't feel great about the Bearcats, but I felt a lot better about them early in the year than a stretch that goes @OSU, PSU, @Iowa, @Wisconsin, Minnesota. I feel better about Cincy than I do UofM or MSU.

I say Indiana... we play Michigan and Sparty next year and we have only teed it up with Indiana twice since 2011..

that’s my guess too. We have played Indiana, what, twice since we joined the BIG 10? This year would be the perfect time to give us another match against them.

edited....my bad, you already pointed out how many times we played Indiana. No clue how I missed that.

Reactions: scarletred
Wouldnt surprise me if they will have everyone play a home and home against their closest school, something like Nebraska/Minnesota, Iowa/Wisconsin, Illinois/NW, indiana/Purdue, Michigan/Michigan state, Ohio state/penn state, Maryland/Rutgers

Reactions: TFrazier
Wouldnt surprise me if they will have everyone play a home and home against their closest school, something like Nebraska/Minnesota, Iowa/Wisconsin, Illinois/NW, indiana/Purdue, Michigan/Michigan state, Ohio state/penn state, Maryland/Rutgers

I thought about that too.. And it fits the criteria of the pandemic year..

Ok Beav, and other guys, I had a thought based on this.

If they say, which they have, 10 games, 14 weeks, conference only, and we're doing this to add flexibility in the scheduling in case a t eam comes down with a ton of cases...does that mean we get a whole new draw?

Wouldn't you have to? To re-balance home and away games, re-time them, etc? Do you get to elect to take a week off and move a game? How will this work?

I am almost 100% sure that nobody is going to play their existing schedule where you either don't play until ****ing October, or like us you play Purdue then you're off for three weeks? That defeats the purpose of flexibility in case of illness.

I think we may wind up getting a whole new draw.

Reactions: HominidHusker
FWIW, There are three week 1 conference games as currently scheduled.
Ok Beav, and other guys, I had a thought based on this.

If they say, which they have, 10 games, 14 weeks, conference only, and we're doing this to add flexibility in the scheduling in case a t eam comes down with a ton of cases...does that mean we get a whole new draw?

Wouldn't you have to? To re-balance home and away games, re-time them, etc? Do you get to elect to take a week off and move a game? How will this work?

I am almost 100% sure that nobody is going to play their existing schedule where you either don't play until ****ing October, or like us you play Purdue then you're off for three weeks? That defeats the purpose of flexibility in case of illness.

I think we may wind up getting a whole new draw.

FWIW, There are three week 1 conference games as currently scheduled.

Right, but speak to the larger question: do you think, with it being conference only, 10 games over 14 weeks specifically for built-in flexibility...and then having to take a look at home versus away...that all teams basically would get a completely new, re-organized draw of games for the year? I think that could be great for us if so, and I have a hard time seeing how that wouldn't be what they would do.

Also, think about it this way, too: with a season set up this way, with the possibility of many players getting COVID, and with all of the other insane logistical challenges of this...this year is going to be kind of a mulligan, I think, for everyone.

Reactions: bshirt73
I wonder if maybe Penn St, Rutgers and Maryland would not be on our schedule, just thinking of air travel/distance.

IF they are going to a 10 game schedule, it won't be a 14 week schedule. Season will start Sept 19 or 26, depending on if they give each team a bye. I would also bet on no Big Ten title game with the season ending Thanksgiving weekend. That would be on par with what they are doing with students at those schools that are bringing kids on campus this fall.

I am guessing they will stick with division only games and have a couple of home/homes between some of the closer division schools. They will want to restrict travel as much as they can.

Reactions: NUinnwks
Just a hunch but I think it's more likely than not there will be no bowls this year and many players might be allowed to opt out (expect Justin Fields, Trevor Lawrence, etc to be among them).

I am guessing they will stick with division only games and have a couple of home/homes between some of the closer division schools. They will want to restrict travel as much as they can.

keep division opponents, and then play the four closest division opponents in a home and home is my guess

Leaders and Best is exactly right. The best combo of Academics and Sports in all of America.

The Michigan Difference

IF they are going to a 10 game schedule, it won't be a 14 week schedule. Season will start Sept 19 or 26, depending on if they give each team a bye. I would also bet on no Big Ten title game with the season ending Thanksgiving weekend. That would be on par with what they are doing with students at those schools that are bringing kids on campus this fall.

That is not what is reported in the story, Tuco. They're saying 10 games over 13-14 weeks with flexible bye weeks built in.

That is not what is reported in the story, Tuco. They're saying 10 games over 13-14 weeks with flexible bye weeks built in.

IMHO flexible bye weeks seem difficult at best to manage. Are all bye weeks the same for all teams? I would say no because that is not the definition of flexible, that would be set bye weeks. So then you have to hope that both Team A and Team B have the same by week to make up their game and that no team has more than 3. Sounds like a lot of chasing your own tail.
I would also say that if a team had to cancel more than 1 game, the odds of the season going forward would be minuscule.
Hope they figure out a way

Shoot, I hope this happens if the alternative is no football. But it really doesn't make anymore sense. Like bringing in Cincy is somehow more dangerous than bringing in MD or Rutgers.

IMHO flexible bye weeks seem difficult at best to manage. Are all bye weeks the same for all teams? I would say no because that is not the definition of flexible, that would be set bye weeks. So then you have to hope that both Team A and Team B have the same by week to make up their game and that no team has more than 3. Sounds like a lot of chasing your own tail.
I would also say that if a team had to cancel more than 1 game, the odds of the season going forward would be minuscule.
Hope they figure out a way

I don't know yet, but the point is to be able to allow teams who come down with too many illnesses to take a week off or more. I know that sounds really hard to manage, and that's why I think all teams are going to be re-shuffled in a re-draw of the schedule.

People I talked to at PS have mentioned serious concerns about 3 B1G teams following thru on fall sports. I don’t want to name them until Commissioner Warren speaks. It’s 2 in the East & 1 from the West.

I hope he was wrong but his information has been pretty strong thru the years. :(

IMO, it's looking more and more likely that you will be really lucky to have ANY football played this fall. I have the feeling that football season will be postponed to Spring after a vaccine (hopefully) has been released. You have the recent virus spikes to blame for that.

Reactions: ssmill777
People I talked to at PS have mentioned serious concerns about 3 B1G teams following thru on fall sports. I don’t want to name them until Commissioner Warren speaks. It’s 2 in the East & 1 from the West.

I hope he was wrong but his information has been pretty strong thru the years. :(
at least those 3 places will have stopped the virus in its tracks

thank goodness for the bravery of those whose paychecks aren't at risk to look out for those whose are. I don't even want to fathom the alternative.

the horror of playing fall sports! the horror!!!

at least those 3 places will have stopped the virus in its tracks

thank goodness for the bravery of those whose paychecks aren't at risk to look out for those whose are. I don't even want to fathom the alternative.

the horror of playing fall sports! the horror!!!
Sports can be played if you scream "social justice" because the virus will not go after you then. This is a story real news outlets put out.

Reactions: ssmill777
ADVERTISEMENT