ADVERTISEMENT

10 Changes We Need To Make Before Spring Ball

Our receivers improved throughout the year in my opinion. They were open a lot but our QB’s just couldn’t find them. Too early to judge Lubick in my opinion.
Why does our team look totally unprepared and like complete dogshit to start every year? We finally realize by the end of the season we do have some talent, but they had been playing well below their abilities for most of the year.

I like the WR's that Lubick recruited. They are all guys with some size. They should be good outside guys and they should be good blockers. We have plenty of smaller slot type guys in the system so I think the new group fits in well with what we have.

Reactions: leodisflowers
Way, way off base and over reaction. Come on, think and not just vent.
I don't think it is. These guys have had more than enough chances to show something and they haven't. If you've been here for 3 years and have yet to produce even an average unit during that time, you need to be fired yesterday. The rule in college football for assistants is two years of underperformance in a row and you're gone. At least that's how the big boy programs handle it. Right now we look more like Illinois as a program in every facet than we do a Blue Blood school.

Why does our team look totally unprepared and like complete dogshit to start every year? We finally realize by the end of the season we do have some talent, but they had been playing well below their abilities for most of the year.

It’s on Frost. We love to be a passing team but then realize we suck at that and then we try running the ball and realize that’s our strength 8-9 games in.

I like the WR's that Lubick recruited. They are all guys with some size. They should be good outside guys and they should be good blockers. We have plenty of smaller slot type guys in the system so I think the new group fits in well with what we have.

Lets hope, we heard the same about Manning and he might never play another down for us. Not sure if it’s injuries or inner demons getting in the way of him. I am excited for Will Nixon. Coaches son and should be good at blocking and getting open.

Reactions: BrighteRed24
I like the 65/35 ratio. The game is won in the trenches, recruit and build OL/DL and tweak offense to improve in time of possession.

Reactions: bshirt73
- I think Stille, Honas, and Bootle are coming back. Levi Falck will return on offense.

- I disagree about the signing class. Grimes and Hardy are physically prepared to play right away. And I also don't expect them to "flake out," like some recruits in the past as they are both high character dudes. Outside of injury, I think they both factor into the WR discussion right away. Lubick is a proven commodity as a WR recruiter. And while he technically wasn't a signee, but a transfer, Nebraska picked up a tremendous ringer in ILB Chris Kolarevic from Northern Iowa.
The other luxury about this recruiting class is they don't need to rely on the line of scrimmage players to come in and be instant contributors. That has been a problem at Nebraska for too long. Physical development is key at those spots.

- Kickers haven't really been getting hurt. Barrett Pickering got drunk while golfing and jacked up his quad on his kicking leg. Frost basically kicked him off the team at that point. The Australian Punter, Daniel Cerni, suffered a physical contact injury because you can take the Big Aussie out of Australian Rules football, but you can't take the game out of him. He will need to learn that he doesn't have to hit dudes in practice for fun.

- Alante needs a Spring Practice. Oliver Martin need a full off season and fall to build rapport and chemistry with the offense. Don't forget about Nixon as well. He will be a full contributor this spring. I think the WRs will look like the following next Fall:

Z - Betts, Hardy, Brown
X- Wandale, Nixon
Y - Falck, Martin, Grimes
With Honas (if he does come back) and the transfer from NIU at ILB to go with Reimer, does Heinrich move to OLB? I don’t like it, as he seems better at ILB, but they have played him out there some.

What about Manning? Sounds like he is healthy and staying, would have to factor into the WR somewhere.

Safety will be a concern if Dismuke and Williams are both done.

Last edited:
It’s on Frost. We love to be a passing team but then realize we suck at that and then we try running the ball and realize that’s our strength 8-9 games in.
More like 3 years in. I'd take the 2nd half Rutgers offense with a couple more zone reads with some lower risk screens and bootlegs. We'll never get WRs like the SEC elite.

Reactions: CatColumbia
More like 3 years in. I'd take the 2nd half Rutgers offense with a couple more zone reads with some lower risk screens and bootlegs. We'll never get WRs like the SEC elite.

You nailed it! To run that offense and be effective in the B10 we need Ohio State level of receivers. I’d say let’s run the ball more and start winning some games. Frost can always re-adapt later in his career but for now he needs to do the basics to have a winning record and start gaining momentum.

You nailed it! To run that offense and be effective in the B10 we need Ohio State level of receivers. I’d say let’s run the ball more and start winning some games. Frost can always re-adapt later in his career but for now he needs to do the basics to have a winning record and start gaining momentum.

yes ... it appears that despite this quote

“I’m hoping the Big Ten has to modify their system for us,” Frost said confidently, resulting in a loud cheer from the group of current and former players and NU administration.

Frost is going to have to capitulate and modify his system with the hopes of being able to maybe one day compete with Iowa- Wisconsin and the rest of the big ten west

yes ... it appears that despite this quote

“I’m hoping the Big Ten has to modify their system for us,” Frost said confidently, resulting in a loud cheer from the group of current and former players and NU administration.

Frost is going to have to capitulate and modify his system with the hopes of being able to maybe one day compete with Iowa- Wisconsin and the rest of the big ten west

If we run more we have the horses to win the West. We have the lineman but running backs I’m not sure though (If Mills leaves). I noticed that most of our false starts and holding calls happened when we threw the ball. Plus by running we avoid sacks. 2nd half of Rutgers is the blue print. 60/40 run/pass ratio.

Reactions: BrighteRed24
If we run more we have the horses to win the West. We have the lineman but running backs I’m not sure though (If Mills leaves). I noticed that most of our false starts and holding calls happened when we threw the ball. Plus by running we avoid sacks.

I completely agree ... the question is will Frost make these adjustments

I don't think Lubick showed anything this year, so I would get rid of him. As far as a new RB coach I would not do that as Held is the best recruiter on the staff, I also think he would be a good offensive coordinator as he was a great junior college football coach and I think he would do well in that spot.

Got to have a new Offensive line coach, quarterback coach, and offensive coordinator. If Lubick goes then you need a stud wide out coach.
If Held is the best recruiter then why is RB such a weak position?

All we gotta do is fire half our assistants every year according to this board.

A QB coach doesn't take bad QBs and make them great. Turner Fill didn't turn Scott Frost into Peyton Manning. They have gotten a 4* QB every cycle, I dunno who you're going to get to be better.

Likewise OL and RB. I'm not at all impressed with RB development under Held but he's widely known as an excellent recruiter. We have a bunch of freshman and soph RBs and then Mills who was hurt half the year.

Thompkins looks like a wasted scholarship to this point. It's noble to not quit on a kid who blows his knees but the ROI ain't there yet. Scott was ok. Sevion didn't play. There's a jillion walk ons at RB and yet we couldn't manage anything better than running Wan'dale into 310 lb DL. They need to start doing the obvious in the run game and stop overthinking it.

OL hasn't been good enough but hasn't been as bad as we suggest. The run game needs to be a point of focus and it hasn't been.

Above posters are correct, we pass too much. Until you have a TD-INT ratio that doesn't suck I'm not real interested in completion %.

Thompkins isn't a wasted scholarship IMO, but Frost has to turn that goodwill with that staff in Georgia to some more really good recruits from there.

Since our season is officially over, I took a few minutes to reflect on this past season and where the program is in general and came up with a list of 10 changes that we need to make to flip this thing around. I am not happy with the way things have gone and our schedule is brutal next year. Having said that, if things remain status quo, Frost is going to experience his 4th straight losing season and in my opinion will be let go. Here's my list:

1) Hit the transfer portal and bring in a QB that is a good game manager and can hit the deep throws. Going with AMart is not going to work. We have given him 3 years and what we get is lots of turnovers, bad decisions, injuries and overthrown deep balls.

2) Establish our identity offensively. It's ridiculous that we're entering year 4 and we still don't know who we are offensively. My recommendation, stick to the running game (between tackles). 2nd half of Rutgers was a beauty. We have lots of running backs to rotate in and out but not sure why that room stays injured throughout the season. We also have young/strong lineman, no excuses to get this done.

3) Make necessary coaching changes. I'd say our QB, OL, RB coaches have shown nothing in 3 years. One more year with these guys might cost Frost his job.

4) Decide which seniors want to come back. I'd say we only take 6-7, no more. My wishlist is in this order: Stille, Culp, Mills, JoJo, Honas, Dismuke, Falk.

5) Finish this recruiting class strong. Bring in Savea, Wynden and flip Dickerson.

6) Make headway with 2022 instate recruits. As of now Woods or Johnson aren't even talking about us, these two need to be a priority! There's also Helms and Riley, we need to get a least one of those two. Seems like every year we allow a top guy from the state to go elsewhere.

7) Frost to give up the reigns as OC and be a Head Coach. Let Lubick take over and implement a 65-35% run/pass ratio offense.

8) Fix our atrocious special teams. Pretty pathetic how we haven't found anyone who can kick the ball in the back of the end zone.

9) Identify new guys that will contribute (Buddha, Morrison, Manning?????)

10) Need to be more disciplined. I wouldn't know because I'm not at practices but I imagine that our team loves to practice tempo so the coaches don't correct the issues in the moment. They let it slide and continue with the next play because of tempo. There is a huge disconnect between what Frost says "We had a good week of practice" to what we see on gamedays. Why do we break so easily and why are we so undisciplined? Enough of the holding penalties and targeting issues.

Thoughts?
1 isn’t going to happen. I’ll read the rest tomorrow.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT