ADVERTISEMENT

10-19..Injury updates..quick hits...

HBK4life

Nebraska Legend
Jan 24, 2004
North of Lincoln South of Heaven
Quick hits
***Nick Gates (ankle), Jordan Westerkamp (back) and Cethan Carter (elbow) all sat out of Wednesday’s practice.

***While neither Danny Langsdorf or Mike Cavanaugh would rule out Gates for Saturday’s game vs. Purdue, the fact that it’s already past the midway point of the week doesn’t bode well for his chances.

***As for Westerkamp and Carter, both are listed as doubtful at this point and will likely be out on Saturday.

***Notable players who did practice were David Knevel, Tommy Armstrong, and Devine Ozigbo.

***Langsdorf said the lack of depth on the offensive line is definitely a concern, and they were still working out different combinations depending on the statuses of certain players.

***Sam Hahn said he’s been preparing to play left tackle this week if needed.

***Reggie Davis said the main reason Ozigbo only had one carry at Indiana was because he had missed so much practice last week with his ankle injury. Because he was so rusty, the staff didn’t feel comfortable putting him out there.

***Davis also said the plan was for Mikale Wilbon to play more last week, and he was the top backup for Terrell Newby with Tre Bryant and Ozigbo sharing a role. Because Newby didn’t need to come out of the game much at all, Wilbon didn’t see the field.

***Davis said they’ve definitely missed Carter in the run game because of his edge blocking. While Sam Cotton and Trey Foster have done a good job in his absence, Davis said there was a reason Carter is the starter.

***Langsdorf said one of the things he was not happy with in the win over Indiana was NU’s third-down offense. The Huskers were just 5-of-15 on third down in the game, and Langsdorf said improving that has been a major emphasis this week.

Quick hits
***Nick Gates (ankle), Jordan Westerkamp (back) and Cethan Carter (elbow) all sat out of Wednesday’s practice.

***While neither Danny Langsdorf or Mike Cavanaugh would rule out Gates for Saturday’s game vs. Purdue, the fact that it’s already past the midway point of the week doesn’t bode well for his chances.

***As for Westerkamp and Carter, both are listed as doubtful at this point and will likely be out on Saturday.

***Notable players who did practice were David Knevel, Tommy Armstrong, and Devine Ozigbo.

***Langsdorf said the lack of depth on the offensive line is definitely a concern, and they were still working out different combinations depending on the statuses of certain players.

***Sam Hahn said he’s been preparing to play left tackle this week if needed.

***Reggie Davis said the main reason Ozigbo only had one carry at Indiana was because he had missed so much practice last week with his ankle injury. Because he was so rusty, the staff didn’t feel comfortable putting him out there.

***Davis also said the plan was for Mikale Wilbon to play more last week, and he was the top backup for Terrell Newby with Tre Bryant and Ozigbo sharing a role. Because Newby didn’t need to come out of the game much at all, Wilbon didn’t see the field.

***Davis said they’ve definitely missed Carter in the run game because of his edge blocking. While Sam Cotton and Trey Foster have done a good job in his absence, Davis said there was a reason Carter is the starter.

***Langsdorf said one of the things he was not happy with in the win over Indiana was NU’s third-down offense. The Huskers were just 5-of-15 on third down in the game, and Langsdorf said improving that has been a major emphasis this week.
Jackson continuing to improve, despite limited playing time
Lamar Jackson lived up to his impressive recruiting hype this fall when he became one of just a handful of true freshmen to see immediate playing time this season.

Since his debut in the season opener, though, the former four-star prospect and No. 1 safety in the 2016 class has seen his playing become sporadic at best.

According to defensive backs coach Brian Stewart, though, that’s by no means an indictment on Jackson’s performance. In fact, Stewart said the Elk Grove, Calif., product was playing some of the best football of his young career right now.

“I know he had a great practice (Tuesday),” Stewart said. “I told him that was probably the best practice I’ve seen him. I’m excited about where he is at. When you’re a young guy like that, you don’t know what you don’t know.

“I think that you just want to get out there because you’ve been doing this since you were 9-10 years old. Just like, ‘Throw me the ball! Let me go out there and do it! Throw it to me!’ You still gotta do it in the parameters of our defense and the way we ask you to. He’s still learning that, but he’s doing a great job picking up things and playing hard.”

Stewart said it would only be a matter of time before Jackson was ready to be a mainstay in Nebraska’s secondary based on how quickly his picked things up so far.

“He wants to play at that level, too,” Stewart said. “He has the athletic ability to do that, he just has to fine tune everything and get out there.”

- Robin Washut

Reactions: HuskerBlueDevil
ADVERTISEMENT