ADVERTISEMENT

1-0

This time last year we were 0-1. I will take this ugly win. Unlike many other peeps on here i took some positives away from this game. Mainly on defense.

And before all the naysayers chirp in. I know it was South Alabama. But say what you will they had an athletic Qb and some athletic recievers. Defense started slow but i thought settled in nicely as the game went on.

Reactions: saluno22
I’ll take the win but what I (and we all) witnessed was extremely alarming, specifically on the OL and how anyone, let alone Scott Frost, could see Cam Jurgens and think “yeah, that’s a D-1 center”.

I kid overall and think we’ll be fine, but I was shocked by this game. I understand that SF doesn’t have his full crew of players in and in the long run we’ll be great. But dammmmnnnn

Last edited:
We have some work to do but yes we are 1-0. There were opportunities to put that game away but South Alabama managed to climb back in it. Even playing as bad as they did they managed to win.

Get our offense rolling and keep our defense playing at a similar or better level and we should be pretty good.

Reactions: yunginsNU2
Cam is not a Center. He is a Receiver. Who ever put him at Center needs to be suspended for that dumb decision.

Better be prepared to sit the head coach down then...

Talk about dumb...

I believe the poster is advocating for having Frost and the entire offensive staff to be suspended. But who would take over the offense? Lonnie Albers?

Reactions: timnsun
sick of the absolute malarky on this board

we're 25% to last year's win total, played like crap and still got it done

on to CU, GBR

Some fans need a reality check. They are trying to turn around a program that went 4-8 the last two years. It's a 4-8 program. We've struggled to beat ANYONE in Memorial Stadium the last few years. Let's show a little bit of patience!

Yep...after only getting 8 wins in 2 years....you would think you would be glad to celebrate a win on opening day.

We've lost to Troy St and N Illinois the past 2 years.

Our TOs caused this angst... as bad as our Offense played we were poised to go up big when Spielman fumbled. Plus a missed kicked.

The sloppy play was disappointing....but when you can play that bad and still win by 2 TDs

Maybe your team isn't that bad?

Last edited:
Jurgens isn't ready for gameday yet. OL and WR are suspect.

I still see too many guys I wish had graduated and too much youth forced into action.

Adrian needs to get much, much better. He sucked. He needs to step up his game big time and needs to take on the pressure. That's one guy I have no problem calling out. Wake up kid!

Reactions: dinglefritz
With all of the bitching about a win, I cant begin to imagine this board if NU had lost.

For those with kids who play sports, I wonder if you rag on your kids to the same degree after a win.

Exactly - 2 evenly matched teams - happy to be 1-0

No program really had an advantage in the trenches and their first year starter at QB was the equal to our former heisman candidate.

When 2 equal teams like Nebraska and South Alabama square off, the games are frequently determined by turnovers. Thank goodness we had them at home

Exactly - 2 evenly matched teams - happy to be 1-0

No program really had an advantage in the trenches and their first year starter at QB was the equal to our former heisman candidate.

When 2 equal teams like Nebraska and South Alabama square off, the games are frequently determined by turnovers. Thank goodness we had them at home

kick rocks

Reactions: yunginsNU2
kick rocks

The number of people overreacting is unreal. We won. We’re not going to go to the playoff. It was week 1, you can’t write them off at this point. These are 18-22 year old kids. It’s entirely plausible we see a completely different team next week. But now people think we are equals with south Alabama. Give me a break!

The number of people overreacting is unreal. We won. We’re not going to go to the playoff. It was week 1, you can’t write them off at this point. These are 18-22 year old kids. It’s entirely plausible we see a completely different team next week. But now people think we are equals with south Alabama. Give me a break!
I don't think it's over reacting as much as it is being somewhat realistic about how bad the offense looked. Maybe USA is better than we all thought. Maybe it was just first game jitters for a couple of new O line starters. Maybe it was a combination of both BUT IF it looks like a turd and smells like a turd, it's probably a turd. Terrible offensive showing in game one but we managed a win. Have to improve and I expect we will. The level of personal attacks on people expressing concern is at least as over the top as their criticism of the effort.

Reactions: SC_'sker
I don't think it's over reacting as much as it is being somewhat realistic about how bad the offense looked. Maybe USA is better than we all thought. Maybe it was just first game jitters for a couple of new O line starters. Maybe it was a combination of both BUT IF it looks like a turd and smells like a turd, it's probably a turd. Terrible offensive showing in game one but we managed a win. Have to improve and I expect we will. The level of personal attacks on people expressing concern is at least as over the top as their criticism of the effort.

cry about it

There is a half assed subtle message in that post, definitely not concern..

So that I understand properly...

These 18-22 year olds aren’t allowed to have a bad game. If they do, some will moan and groan about how bad they were, extrapolating it out the rest of the season by saying we will be lucky to go bowling/we won’t beat Colorado/8 wins would be a miracle. Others will look for positives in the midst of the poor performance, point out that defense was much improved, and hope for the offense to figure it out (we are still high on the offensive coaches).

I just wish they would never have a bad game, then we could all get along.

sick of the absolute malarky on this board

we're 25% to last year's win total, played like crap and still got it done

on to CU, GBR

I agree bro. And actually you’re only half right. Our offense had an off game yes but our defense looked and played GREAT. It’s S Bama yes...but it doesn’t matter. The defenses we have field over the past several years wouldn’t have looked or played that well. Our defense has definitely turned a corner and came to play this year. I’m not worried one bit about our offense. We had an off game...it happens to everyone. Now, if our offense continues playing like this after week 2 or 3? Then we have something to worry about. But seeing an off game during week 1...yep, not worried one bit.

These 18-22 year olds aren’t allowed to have a bad game. If they do, some will moan and groan about how bad they were, extrapolating it out the rest of the season by saying we will be lucky to go bowling/we won’t beat Colorado/8 wins would be a miracle. Others will look for positives in the midst of the poor performance, point out that defense was much improved, and hope for the offense to figure it out (we are still high on the offensive coaches).

I never would have thought you were a member of the participation ribbon crowd. Even Steve Taylor admitted on the post game show that this performance has tempered his expectations.

Been this same way for over a decade dude. If you think this is bad, you should have been on here when Callahan was coach.

why change when it's so fun to rip your team your players and your coaches am i right

good grief

I never would have thought you were a member of the participation ribbon crowd. Even Steve Taylor admitted on the post game show that this performance has tempered his expectations.
Actually, I think I’m somewhere in between... I’ve stated many times that I’m an eternal optimist, and so it really shouldn’t be a surprise that I found the defense refreshing. I’ve stated on here in a couple of different threads that I was discouraged by our offensive performance, but I also think one game is too small a sample size to be claiming we will lose to Colorado and be lucky to make a bowl this year (you never claimed this, but some have).

After the Colorado game, I believe we all will have a better picture of what this team is about. The post game reaction is one thing... I’m speaking out against what I believe is the post game overreaction. Get game 2 under our belts and we will see where we stand.

Actually, I think I’m somewhere in between... I’ve stated many times that I’m an eternal optimist, and so it really shouldn’t be a surprise that I found the defense refreshing. I’ve stated on here in a couple of different threads that I was discouraged by our offensive performance, but I also think one game is too small a sample size to be claiming we will lose to Colorado and be lucky to make a bowl this year (you never claimed this, but some have).

After the Colorado game, I believe we all will have a better picture of what this team is about. The post game reaction is one thing... I’m speaking out against what I believe is the post game overreaction. Get game 2 under our belts and we will see where we stand.
Exactly. My level of concern is at "we'll know more next Saturday night". I think my expectations were probably a little overly optimistic though and that's kind of been my point for most of us sunshine pumpers. We've got lots of things to work on. I've always been concerned about the Colorado game. Playing on the road in Boulder is no small task.

Dude. What did you see on Saturday that leads you to believe that making a bowl game is a given or that the team looks capable of beating a team on the road that they lost to last year at home?

It's not about players 'not being able to have a bad game' or whatever that nonsense was, it was about the team struggling the entire game at the LoS against a Sunbelt doormat. It was about not having a capable Center to start the season. It was about seeming not to have the composure and focus that good teams have. It was about an all-around poor showing by the team.

Players can have bad games. 99% of us are not worried about Amart even though he had a bad game. He has a track record of being a very good player. Our OL and DL that got dominated do not. Our Safeties that made mistakes do not.

It's logical for fans to be down on the prospects for the season based on the game yesterday. That game is the only performance that we can go off of. Sure, things could happen against CU to make the Kool aid flow, but based on WHAT WE SAW, being pessimistic is understandable if not expected.

Dude. What did you see on Saturday that leads you to believe that making a bowl game is a given or that the team looks capable of beating a team on the road that they lost to last year at home?

It's not about players 'not being able to have a bad game' or whatever that nonsense was, it was about the team struggling the entire game at the LoS against a Sunbelt doormat. It was about not having a capable Center to start the season. It was about seeming not to have the composure and focus that good teams have. It was about an all-around poor showing by the team.

Players can have bad games. 99% of us are not worried about Amart even though he had a bad game. He has a track record of being a very good player. Our OL and DL that got dominated do not. Our Safeties that made mistakes do not.

It's logical for fans to be down on the prospects for the season based on the game yesterday. That game is the only performance that we can go off of. Sure, things could happen against CU to make the Kool aid flow, but based on WHAT WE SAW, being pessimistic is understandable if not expected.

the D Line got dominated? S Alabama ran for 1.9 yards/carry, threw for 6.6 yards/completion and scored their only touchdowns on short fields after turnovers while allowing 4 sacks, 2 going for fumbles.

what a dominant performance, indeed

the D Line got dominated? S Alabama ran for 1.9 yards/carry, threw for 6.6 yards/completion and scored their only touchdowns on short fields after turnovers while allowing 4 sacks, 2 going for fumbles.

If you actually watched the game you would've seen us fail to get any pressure unless we blitzed. Same problem as last year. We got some sacks that skewed the rushing stats a bit. They clearly had more success running the ball.

We left some gaps at times that allowed for some decent runs especially in that first half but I guess I didn't see "dominated" either. I didn't see Suh out there either though.

Reactions: Top_Gun_
If you actually watched the game you would've seen us fail to get any pressure unless we blitzed. Same problem as last year. We got some sacks that skewed the rushing stats a bit. They clearly had more success running the ball.

they clearly had more success? their doak walker watch-list RB ran 10 times for 37 yards.

In a 3 man front normally your pressure is going to come from a linebacker off the edge or other blitzer. One of the reason's you run a 3-4 is so that the offense doesn't know where the 4th or 5th rusher is going to come from.

That's pretty much how I'm thinking right now.

Steve Taylor... wow... sure wished he'd won that GOTC2. I've never seen Lincoln that quiet as it was that night.

Reactions: dinglefritz
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT