ADVERTISEMENT

07 April (Gm1): Nebraseball (14-14,2-4,RPI#70) at Michigan State (7-19,1-5,RPI#237) - MSU wins 17-5

Nebraska now has a 4-game losing streak and has lost 6 of the last 7 in today's uniforms.

Hard to imagine this team making the Big Ten tournament. I’m not dumb enough to believe Erstad’s job is in jeapordy although it should be. Here is to the Angels tanking this year.

Reactions: saluno22
Hard to imagine this team making the Big Ten tournament. I’m not dumb enough to believe Erstad’s job is in jeapordy although it should be. Here is to the Angels tanking this year.
I was talking with a coworker today. He should be gone if he doesn't qualify for the conference tournament.

That conversation happened when it was just 6-4 MSU. MSU is one of the worst teams in the conference this season. I don't see how we are going to find enough wins the rest of the way to qualify for the conference tourney.

Remaining conference series:
vs. Iowa (RPI #44)
at Rutgers (RPI #123)
vs. Maryland(RPI #93)
vs. Indiana (RPI #25)
at Illinois (RPI #48)

Here are the records for the 8th-place teams since the conference expanded to 13 teams in baseball:

2017: Purdue 12-12
2016: Iowa 12-12 (two others finished 12-12 and did not qualify for the conference tourney: Illinois, Penn State)
2015: Nebraska 9-14 (7th place was 13-11 Ohio State)

Here are the records for the 6th- through 8th-place teams from before the 13-team participation in baseball:

2014: 11-13 (6) MSU / (7) 10-14 OSU / 10-14 (8) Iowa (8-team tourney field, but just 11-teams sponsoring baseball)
2013: 14-10 (5) Illinois and (6) Michigan / (7) 12-9 MSU / (8) 10-14 Iowa (6-team tourney field)
2012: (6) 11-13 OSU / (7) 11-13 Illinois / (8) 11-13 Minnesota (6-team tourney field)

2011 was the last season without Nebraska's membership in the conference.

Point being, we are 2-5 now and need to find at least 9 wins over the last 16 scheduled conference games, maybe more wins, to qualify for the tournament in our own backyard.

I'm afraid it's going to take another season like this one for Moos to make a move

What a disappointment if this team can't even make the B1G tournament right in their own back yard...

I was talking with a coworker today. He should be gone if he doesn't qualify for the conference tournament.

That conversation happened when it was just 6-4 MSU. MSU is one of the worst teams in the conference this season. I don't see how we are going to find enough wins the rest of the way to qualify for the conference tourney.

Remaining conference series:
vs. Iowa (RPI #44)
at Rutgers (RPI #123)
vs. Maryland(RPI #93)
vs. Indiana (RPI #25)
at Illinois (RPI #48)
I agree with your coworker. Average conference and if you can’t make the top 8 then good grief. Can’t blame young inexperienced arms when you constantly give up 10+ runs.

You can't get steam rolled by a crap team and expect to keep your job. Terrible season so far. Nebraska is in the weakest power 5 baseball conference and they can't be consistent. I can see struggling in football or basketball but struggling in baseball is embarrassing. Nebraska should be in the top 2 to 3 every year for baseball.....no exceptions. Erstad should want to resign.

Probably a good thing for Erstad with game 2 being called off. One less loss off the record.

Just looked at the box score from yesterday because, well, masochism I guess...

17 runs scored by MSU, just 3 extra-base hits (all doubles).
9 of Tyranski's 12 outs responsible for were via strikeout.

Also, with a 3/5 outing, Scott Schreiber is still hitting .600 in Big Ten play.
Remember toward the end of our time in the Big 12 and Cody Asche was essentially our entire offense? That's what this team feels like right now.

ADVERTISEMENT